Notices

I didn't give in

Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I didn't give in

Well today is a new day and I got through the evening and night not drinking anything except water and green tea. It is day 3, i am feeling better, but anxious a bit. Today I plan on going shopping with friends and enjoying the nice fall weather.

Do mood swings and waves of anxiety get better? My eye twitches and so does my head. Does anyone else have this issue. I have read some say that stopping drinking makes the brain chemicals and the nervous system change..can someone explain exactly how? I am going to get some new vitamins today too. I read that people that drink need alot of B1 to get enough thiamine and most alcoholics are deficient. I started crocheting again, it is relaxing and keeps my hands busy.

I hope everyone has a good day sober day
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

course you'll feel better
Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes it will get better,emotions in early sobriety are often all over the place.

It takes time to become an Alcoholic (if you are one),It takes time to recover.Alcohol destroys our bodies in all areas.

Keep away from the first drink a day at a time.You will soon notice an improvement.

Wishing you well.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know how much or how long you drank. But yes,mood swings will get better. But they also might get worse before they get better, depending on how much and how long you were drinking. I myself drank for over 30 years,so for myself I knew things weren't going to be back to normal in just a few days. They call it an emotional roller coaster,and that's what it is.
I also think it has something to do with the way one minute we think "this is a piece of cake,I have this beat" and in just a few hours find ourselves drunk.
Not saying you are gonna do that. But I am saying I think it has a lot to do with the reason alcoholics find it sooo hard to quit.
There is a book called "7 weeks to sobriety" that talks extensively about what you are asking. The chemical change. Hypoglycemia which is another change. All the sugar ,or starch in booze is no longer being consumed the way it was.
It also had me on a vitamin hunt that I stuck with the first 6 months or so. Iduno,but I had tried to quit many times. I read that book and took the vitamins (there's a bunch) that I could find over the counter. I have now been sober over 4 years. I can't say if those vitamins got me through it or not. But the lady that wrote the book opened,or ran, a rehab center and was saying her results were quite a bit better than AA. (her son committed suicide from mood swings) I think you can find it on Amazon for just a few dollars.
Hope you enjoy the beautiful day and stay sober.
Fred
Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

I recently read a book called "being sober by harry haroutunian" that talked a lot about the chemical changes and things like that. He's a physician. It might be helpful.

I'm at three days as well... good luck today. Enjoy the time with friends, and enjoy the crocheting!

Mike
Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Woohoo View Post
Well today is a new day and I got through the evening and night not drinking anything except water and green tea. It is day 3, i am feeling better, but anxious a bit. Today I plan on going shopping with friends and enjoying the nice fall weather.

Do mood swings and waves of anxiety get better? My eye twitches and so does my head. Does anyone else have this issue. I have read some say that stopping drinking makes the brain chemicals and the nervous system change..can someone explain exactly how? I am going to get some new vitamins today too. I read that people that drink need alot of B1 to get enough thiamine and most alcoholics are deficient. I started crocheting again, it is relaxing and keeps my hands busy.

I hope everyone has a good day sober day
Well done my friend!!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am 84 days sober after 25 years of constant boozing and I will admit everyday I notice odd changes. These things may have been here all along but I was too loaded or hungover to notice or care.

For example the last few days it has been hard for me to finish a sentence. My brain knows what I want to say but it is as if my mouth can't get the words out.

I also noticed I am more forgetful and make little stupid mistakes at work - nothing big.

I was also getting "brain zaps" but I am not sure if that is a reaction from quitting zoloft or the booze.

But all in all I will take these small problems over being a drunk anyday.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Woohoo;4248842.... It is day 3, i am feeling better, but anxious a bit. Today I plan on going shopping with friends and enjoying the nice fall weather.

Do mood swings and waves of anxiety get better? [/QUOTE]

If you can, try and do some exercise, maybe 30mins or an hour of some activity that will get your metabolism moving. you'll feel a lot more relaxed after.. cozier and more chilled.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What happens when you drink at an excessive level -

The receptors in your brain adjust to being assaulted by the alcohol ,in an attempt to return to normality ,they step up the fight .

When the receptors and not getting a steady overdose of depressants ,they overreact ,
That's where the anxiety comes from .

And yes it gets better
Old 10-20-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go on getting through the day. Sometimes it is so difficult to get through just a single day. For me, it helps to think about how you will feel when you wake up in the morning. Waking up sober is always better than waking up hungover.