Notices

Anyone have any idea how I can save money?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Anyone have any idea how I can save money?

A lack of a drivers license leads me to waste hundreds of dollars monthly. I have been criminal free for 3 years.

I am tempted to start a kickstarter asking for help to get my license back, I will never get caught up.

I am starting to wonder if the cab drivers are beginning to hate me because I don't tip when I pay with a debit card. I am a regular there, but no one is ever happy to see me.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Where do you live? Suburbs or small town? If so, you might not have much access to public transport...however, if you live in Minneapolis, as you well know, you can take the bus or light rail almost anywhere.

Other saving money tips: Cut the extras. Stop paying for cable, or at least get down to the least expensive basic package. You can virtually watch LIVE TV from your computer (including all the football games), when you find the right websites. Cut your cell phone plan down to the basic plan as well. No more junk food. No more chips, ice cream, chocolate. Stick to lots of rice, which is very cheap. Rice, lettuce, beans, and fruit are all cheap and get you all the vitamins you need. You'll lose weight too - I call it the "poverty diet". Worked for me.

As for the cabs. If you're calling taxis regularly and not tipping them, they are probably not fond of you. How about you bring a couple $1 bills next time? If you're taking $15-$20 rides, it might be worth the extra buck to ensure your experiences are more pleasurable.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

buy a bike
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
buy a bike
Good advice, but I'm guessing a bike in Minnesota becomes obsolete from November - March.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

buy a bike and ride it to the bus...carry on bike. i used to do it. A lot cheaper then taxi. u can get a monthly bus pass probably for dirt cheap
Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I lived in SF / Oakland for almost 2 years without a car. I used a bike and public transport pass. Saved a lot of money and never once took a taxi. Of course, you need to be safe at night but I always planned for that. If I wanted to go somewhere "iffy" I chipped in some gas money for a friend who had a car.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Other money-saving things I do:
Buy staples in bulk, package out into serving sizes (costco or sam's membership pays for itself very quickly)

I walk everywhere I can, without exception. I climb stairs instead of elevators & do bodyweight exercise at home so a health club isn't required I don't go shopping at malls.
No soda or other bottled sugared beverages--I buy herbal tea in bulk from Amazon, make tea, and add sparkling water for cold drinks. I mostly drink filtered water plain or with a squeeze of lemon. I carry a water bottle that I fill at home. That really saves money.

No processed or package food. Cook on the weekend and package, or do simple meals like crockpot, broiled / baked with leftovers and a basic salad. Organic greens are very cheap at Sam's, for example.

Don't eat dinner out ever--too expensive--lunch only on rare occasions and I also get good value from take-out Chinese buffets by the pound. Skip the starch, get the meat, and add rice or noodles at home.

Wear a sweater and slippers and keep your house cool. Turn down thermostat.

I got rid of TV 8 years ago and have save over 2,000 bucks in fees for cable & HBO and I read books, look at the stars, take walks, talk to spouse instead. Much better.

Not drinking saves me at least 200 bucks a month and I also don't need to go to the doctor for drinking-related issues.

There are many things you can do, some of which you may already be doing--good luck!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

rid of tv and no going out to eat ever? thats even cheap for me. good on ya though
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I live in denver and ride a bike year round. The last time I wasn't able to ride to work was Feb 2011. I do have two cars myself, but I hate driving when I can ride instead.

Minnesota would be pretty tough to ride year round though. In Denver, the snow melts quick (it snowed an inch last night and it's already gone).

Do you have a steady job? Any sort of disability?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
rid of tv and no going out to eat ever? thats even cheap for me. good on ya though

I do go out to lunch sometimes and I love take out Chinese by the pound. I don't live in a city anymore, but if I did, I admit I would go out and have a nice dinner sometimes. So I'm not quite as cheap as I imply :-)
Old 10-18-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Other money-saving things I do:
Buy staples in bulk, package out into serving sizes (costco or sam's membership pays for itself very quickly)!
Hard to buy in bulk when you don't have a car!

I don't have a car either, actually, and get by just fine. But yeah, buying in bulk is one thing that those of us who do not drive cannot take advantage of.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hard to buy in bulk when you don't have a car!

I don't have a car either, actually, and get by just fine. But yeah, buying in bulk is one thing that those of us who do not drive cannot take advantage of.
I actually car pool with a friend for the two-hour drive to Costco. I buy the gas and she uses her car. Between the two of us we fill it up, and then she drops me off at home.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi MM in addition to the above hints, which are brilliant, do some research on the internet on ways of saving money. They are just about unlimited.
House sit
Small cash jobs
Grow your own greens in summer, save seeds
Write down everything you spend, see what you can spare
Utilise online buying and selling
Old 10-19-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey MM,
Not sure where you are at. In the Twin Cities? Rural Area? A cab is ok as long as you make the trip count. I like to come up with a thorough menu before I hit the store. That includes all meals and snacks. Then make a list off of that menu of the items you need along with other personal/cleaning items. Coupons are nice too as long as they don't make you buy a bunch of stuff you weren't planning on getting. If you can reduce your cab rides by even half, then imagine the money you will save! They are pretty pricey. Best of luck to you MN bro.

Cheers,
Cas
Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I'm not sure if you have access to public transit, but it's far cheaper. The only down side is you tend to spend a lot of time waiting for busses and they might not drop you off right where you need to be. Getting a bike is a good option. My job is 2 miles away. Even with traffic I get to work in 20 minutes without having to pay for gas. Maintenance is maybe $20 a month. If you are taking cabs to work maybe see if you can find a co-worker that can pick you up. Offer to pay them gas, it must be cheaper than a taxi.

As for saving money, just cut down on things you don't need. I bought an antenna for my TV so I get all the basic channels and it cost me a whopping $15. Find small things to make at home rather than eat out. I'm not sure if you are near one, but places will pay cash for plasma donations. Easy way to make some quick money. I've done when I need a few bucks. 2 times a week equals $70 tax free cash here, but admittedly I live two miles away from a place you can do it at.