Notices

Sudden alcohol intolerance?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sudden alcohol intolerance?

I am still drinking unfortunately. I probably on average have dranken the equivalent of 1/2-1 750ml of vodka a day. Sometimes up to a liter, sometimes less. Yes, horrible i know.

This past week I have really cut back. Not only because I have been wanting to quit, but it kind of sucks now. I am drinking only 24oz of 12% alcohol a day, but the last two days i have only drank some 8% mikes hard lemonade.

Here is the question though. I think alcohol is actually starting to affect me health. This last week or so even one drink of alcohol sends my stomach into wrenching,cramps, and nausea. Feels like i got kicked in the gut or something. Sometimes my stomach makes me forceably throw up, even only after a few sips hit my stomach. It is not every time, but quite often. My tolerance is quite high still and i have not even gotten a buzz this past week at all. Even drinking this small amount i wake up with a hangover. Normally i wouldn't get a hangover unless i drank half a bottle of vodka and was noticeably drunk the night before. I barley drink anything, do not even get a buzz and i still get very ill? I know i should go to a doctor and i did make an appointment for blood-work next week. Could it be that my liver is having trouble processing the alcohol?
Anyone suddenly have these type of symptoms? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no i never did, i drank vodka also and almost the same amount too. but this might be a sign to stop drinking. have you ever been to the doctor for check up? i had this happen to me when i smoked, it really helped me stop smoking.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, your body can certainly reach the tipping point with booze from one day to the next. One day I was drinking fine and the next day I was bleeding internally. Think of it like the timing belt on your car. When it goes it goes.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Amber,

I drove myself crazy thinking about if my liver was going. One thing that I can say to you (and all of us) - if you keep drinking it's just a matter of time. Your piece of mind will not come from an answer you want to hear on a message board here. Rather, it will come when you stop drinking and your liver is able to heal itself from the damage drinking has done. Don't take another drink and you will never have to worry about your liver again.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You body is telling you something. Glad you are seeing a doctor about it.

Be truthful about your drinking when you go.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi AN. I see that you registered over 2 years ago and are still drinking. In rehab there was someone in my group who had a similar experience, our therapist explained that this is sometimes indicative of entering a very critical stage of alcoholism. I would not wait, I would not fool around with it.

It is really good that you are here and that you are aware, but I would strongly suggest you see a doctor soon, and be completely honest. The beginning of my sobriety was picking up a phone and talking to a doctor....it was a huge relief to be honest and ask for help.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by AmberNichole View Post
Anyone suddenly have these type of symptoms? Thanks for any input.
Yes. The things you describe became daily occurrences for me towards the end of my three-year relapse. I continued to drink, even though my body was rejecting alcohol. My daily buzz was alternatively short-lived, and then very intense with only small amounts of alcohol.

Without getting into details, you need to see a doctor right away.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was there just there 4 days ago, part of the problem is that your body has build up a yeast intolerance to the alcohol . It will cause such great pain in my stomach my right side my back then in five to ten minutes I would be in the bathroom. My body can no longer digest alcohol, sad thing I have known for two years but I would back off allowing my body to heal then I would start up again. Well 4 days ago I decided I am killing myself and I need to stop..
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

During my binges ,I would actually throw up on the first beer ,Then force down the second beer ,to kill the hangover .

Stomach issues seem to go with alcohol abuse ,Try some yogurt ,I eat quite a bit of it now ,to help with stomach trouble .

Im going to be one of the few to commend you on your success of cutting down a 24 of 12% ,is still quite a bit ,more like a 6 pack .
But that is progress and you have shown yourself you can cut back ,successfully .

What are you drinking that's 12% ?, I thought malt LQ was about 8-9% .
Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bleeding esophageal varicies are potentially deadly side effect of alcoholism. Sudden gastrointestinal hemorrhage can occur.

Go see a medical professional, and even if its the only time in your life, be honest about your drinking!!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No half measures

When you drink poison for an extended period of time there health consequences. Although your health situation sounds serious and you should certainly see a doctor I would be just as worried about how I'm going to quit drinking before I managed to kill myself.

Getting sober is not easy but it is possible as many on SR can tell you. AA worked for me and I drank a fifth of vodka a day for 20 years before my body gave out but everyones tolerance to alcohol is different.

research treatment options find one that seems to fit and stick to it
Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
When you drink poison for an extended period of time there health consequences. Although your health situation sounds serious and you should certainly see a doctor I would be just as worried about how I'm going to quit drinking before I managed to kill myself.

Getting sober is not easy but it is possible as many on SR can tell you. AA worked for me and I drank a fifth of vodka a day for 20 years before my body gave out but everyones tolerance to alcohol is different.

research treatment options find one that seems to fit and stick to it

I could tell ,I would not last that long .

I drank quite a bit less ,but it seemed to be breaking me down after just 3-5 years .
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No half measures

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I could tell ,I would not last that long .

I drank quite a bit less ,but it seemed to be breaking me down after just 3-5 years .
That is a scary thing about alcoholism everyone is different. One person can drink half as much as the other and the person drinking less will have serious health consequences
Old 10-17-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
totfit

You might be experiencing withdrawal also. If you have been consuming for a long time much more than you are currently, it could be withdrawal that you are experiencing. Typically, the "intolerence" that one gets from liver damage is getting a buzz or drunk on much less, because the liver is no longer able to process the alcohol.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad I read this thread. It was just what I needed to keep me sober. 81 days sober today and going strong.....
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awww poor Girl.

Its got you.

Good luck at the docs appointment. Keep coming back to SR. Its one of my 2 methods for recovery.

Its not much but whatever helps..
Old 10-17-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hmmmm....sounds like me when I was entering late stage alcoholism. It isn't pretty.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
During my binges ,I would actually throw up on the first beer ,Then force down the second beer ,to kill the hangover .

Stomach issues seem to go with alcohol abuse ,Try some yogurt ,I eat quite a bit of it now ,to help with stomach trouble .

Im going to be one of the few to commend you on your success of cutting down a 24 of 12% ,is still quite a bit ,more like a 6 pack .
But that is progress and you have shown yourself you can cut back ,successfully .

What are you drinking that's 12% ?, I thought malt LQ was about 8-9% .
Four lokos, and Joose are 12% and a 24oz can. Exactly the same as 4 bottles of bud light platinum. The last couple days i have barely choked down a 8% 12 oz can of mikes hard lemonade though.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses guys, it helps. I definitely think my body is telling me that it has had enough.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

do you still have an appetite?

Sounds like you're already cutting down which will help a lot with potential withdrawal symptoms.