Notices

Quitting cold turkey

Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting cold turkey

Hi all I'm new. I'm trying to quit drinking tonight. I usually drink 8-12 beers a night sometimes more. I'm trying home remedies and natural herbs at home. I'm really scared of withdraw. Does anyone know how likely it is that I will have withdraws? Ive quit before and was fine but, the doc gave me certain meds whenever I was quitting. I've quit several times now and have always started again. I always quit whenever I'm pregnant, this time I'm not. I dont like AA and I dont want to go to the doctor. Just looking for support and advice. I'm kind of stressed out because I have a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old and they're a handful. I hope everyone has a good night. And thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you quit before with no withdrawal I would imagine you will be ok. I had bad withdrawals after weekend long benders. The sleeplessness and anxiety attacks were the second worst part. My kids seeing was the worst. I dont like AA or doctors but found a therapist I can tolerate and he has my gp call in scripts for me. I couldn't do it w/o antabuse. I also do Klonopin when the anxiety gets bad. Finally, I like the secular boards here now I am studying Rational Recovery. Try diff methods and keep those kids in mind as you recover for yourself. Good luck
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Jessi, you'll find lots of helpful people here. It sounds as though you have an easy time stopping since you have done it before. The question most here will ask is what are you going to do differently this time?

In my own experience, you really just have to tough out those early days and get to some solid recovery before it will get easier. Hang in there and don't let the mental impulses get you to give in. They will go away the further you get along you just have to hang in there and get past them.

For me, it took 90 days to get to some strength in sobriety and 6 months to start being free of the mental impulses. Just remind yourself that it will go away if you continue to abstain. Don't give in to the temptation and you'll get there.

Hang out here and read and write and don't get discouraged. This is hard and takes time but in the effort and you will be rewarded.

Keep connected here, we are listening
Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We can't offer medical advice and we are all different but I was drinking around 15 pint's of beer a night and I quit cold turkey without withdrawal symptoms....Felt like sh1t for 2 day's but after that started to feel amazing....Hardest bit is fighting the cravings once you start feeling better......Take care....Steve.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also this time round I never used AA either.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you quit cold turkey before you should be alright, but if you start feeling weird go to the er, don't just assume you'll be okay.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I'm only on day 5, but I was also a 8-12+ beer a day drinker. I quit a few weeks ago and felt horrible for days. I couldn't make it past day 4. This time was totally different. I drank enough water to fill a pool the first day even though I didn't feel good. The second day I did the same. I took multivitamins and had snack items next to my bed so I had something tiny to munch on without leaving the house. By day 4 I felt fine other than my hands still shaking and a bit of anxiety. Far better than how I felt on day 4 the previous time I tried to quit.

By no means should you take this as the way to do it, I'm just saying that I went cold turkey without medical supervision and just had to suck up it up. The worse part in the end was the insomnia. I didn't sleep for two days. Last night I did sleep for 7 solid hours. So if you can get by the first few days, you should be fine. If anything seems off, seek medical attention.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've done it both ways. I've managed to quit cold turkey and it is pretty miserable for a few days. If you go through detox it is much more comfortable, they give you anxiety, sleep, etc meds. When you get out you feel much better. The downside to that is detox costs money and might mean missed work, etc..