Notices

Wine people think they are sophisticated

Old 05-16-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It's seems to me like some wine snobs & others try to rationalize/legitimize their behavior, not necessarily bad behavior but their use of alcohol. They try to dress up alcohol consumption. Some use protocol, etiquette to elevate themselves. I know several all about the brands & types and alcohol and yet outside that setting they are average. I wish they learn as much about other things.

Beside the obvious alcohol consumption some use those settings for power or status. The problem is they berate you for not participating and acuse you of not caring. They don't educate they berate. These same people have drinking problems and other issues.

Being a wine connoisseur is like anything else. If the endeavor or event is abused yes one will be considered a wine snob.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
My mother in law owns a vineyard in Sonoma, has for 30 years. My father-in-law passed away recently, he was sick for a long time in the hospital.

She relayed a story about a long day at the hospital in Santa Rosa, coming home, pouring a glass of wine, but she couldn't find the tv remote. So she got up, poured the wine down the sink and went to bed.

She told this story because the dogs had hid the remote in the yard and she didn't find it for a week.

This was right before I got sober this summer, I remember thinking, if I couldn't find the remote I would have felt bad for myself and opened 3 bottles....

Yes, some wine people are snobs, but a lot of vintners are farmers. There are people who are scotch snobs, cheese snobs, truffle snobs, orchid snobs, car snobs.....

I happen to be a snob about finding a good cart at the supermarket. After many years of a seeming to habitually choose carts that only go left I got tired of doing donuts down the aisles. I now give my cart a very good test run before it is crowned "cart du jour".

I am also a snob about pillows. I hate puffy pillows. In fact I buy them in advance and put them under the mattress for 2 months of pre-game. At that point they are usually sufficiently smushed. I always feel more secure if I have 2 pillows in escrow.

I am also a lightbulb snob....but I will save that scintillating diatribe for another day.
My post of the year - hilarious!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Well, not necessarily I'd say. I used to down a bottle of wine in a couple of minutes without finding it sophisticated.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Wine was my alcohol of choice simply because I liked (loved) the taste of it. I had my favorites, of course, just like a beer drinker. In the majority of wine drinkers I know, the only thing that separates us from the beer drinkers is which aisle in the grocery store we go to pick up our poison.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Che

I think this is taking sour grapes a little too literally.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

My cousin has been in the wine business. She's owned a couple of wine bars, writes about it, gives classes and visits vineyards and all that. She likes wine. It makes her happy. Go Cousin P. A few years ago we went out for her birthday dinner and someone gave her a $300 bottle as a gift. $300.... Damn. If I had $300 back in the day I'd probably be dead or on a respirator for the past few decades, but to each their own.

I wasn't big on wine when I was drinking, it usually came with a screwcap. I would have drank nail polish remover if someone told me it would get me high. Funny thing is, I used to look down at the winos on the Bowery because I was a cool, downtown punk rocker. Then one night around 3 am I was sitting on a stoop on the Bowery with some winos and had one of those moments that we alcoholics hate, you know that oh crap I'm sitting on the frikin Bowery at 3 am drinking wine with the bums because I'm one of them. So I killed that thought with some Tuinal, dope and vodka because I couldn't be one of them bums.

-allan
Old 12-03-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I have to admit I've said the same thing about "wine snobs" before. But now I think I just never really understood them. I couldn't imagine anyone drinking alcohol for any reason other than why I did: to change how I felt, or to not feel much of anything at all. I rarely drank for the taste, especially by the end. The extent of my food/alcohol pairing was pizza and beer! I practically never drank wine but if I did, I was much more concerned with the alcohol content. I know very little about wines beyond that.

So a wine snob might say I'm just uncultured. I can live with that.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
zjw

I always said i'd drink pi$$ if it had booze in it and i'd smoke a turd if it had nicotine in it. Most addicts would and those that say they wouldnt havent been desperate enough for there fix yet lol.

That being said I always felt like i was somehow more sophisticated if i had a bottle of wine or top shelf bottle of liquor. In the end it never really mattered i'd polish off bottle after bottle of wine and be puking my guts out some sophistcated gentleman huh? I only ever even bothered with a glass because the wife was looking and would probably have called me a pig for tipping it right from the bottle. But i'd gladly pour it into a plastic cup. But sure sometimes i'd make a show of it and grab a wine glass. It was all a bunch of BS i fooled myself with.

I wasnt a gentleman or sophisticated I was an alcoholic.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
zjw

teh other issue is with wine glasses they are simply just too small. I never understood that who wants to get up for a refill all the time?

my wife was just the other day telling me of a friend who would have a couple drinks and thats that. I"m like whats the point of only having a couple that would just tick me off.

There really might be something to wine but i'll never know getting the alcohol in as fast as possible regardless of its form was always my game.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

It's the same with other varieties of alcohol. In Cambridge there are Rum festivals; Real ale festivals (all tasted like beer to me); and pubs with whisky menus (when asked which kind I wanted I tended to answer 'Cooking whisky' or 'The cheapest', so I never got into all that sniffing and sipping malarky).

For some, drinking can be a sensory experience. For me it was always more about losing my senses than heightening them.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
its not all wine drinkers. I know a few ex wine drinker in recovery. they didn't give a crap as long as it had alcohol.
it isn't limited to wine drinkers. there are beer, bourbon, scotch, brandy,vodka,whiskey, and rum drinkers that do it too. then theres the beer, bourbon, scotch, brandy, vodka, whiskey, and rum drinkers that don't give a crap as long as it has alcohol in it.
That was me. I would avoid the dark liquor and stay with clear spirits or beer, only cause of the massive hangover that comes from whiskey.

Wine would make me sick, brought on serious reflux in a hurry. We have some wine snobs on our circle. Pompous types that hug and peck the cheek when they greet. Just to turn around and knife and gossip the night away.