Notices

Wine people think they are sophisticated

Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I belong to a club that has these monstrous wine tastings a few times a year. I don't know about anybody else, but I would get smashy smashed at those things regardless of how many tea crackers I ate. There would be about at minimum 25 vineyards at a crack. And I remember being overwhelmed. Not like a kid in a candy store overwhelmed, but shakey and dizzy because I didn't know where to start and how to approach the behemoth of everything that I needed to try.

That and I had to keep my game going regarding swishing, and legs, and body and blah. Once the switch was flipped, I didn't want tastings, I wanted the full Monty. Couldn't get it in fast enough. Inevitably, it beat me. Every time.

Needless to say, I would maybe get through about 3 vineyards before I was bombed. And after table one, I was buying cases of what could have been total crap. Wise move on their part to make you pay before you left and pick up a week later.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have planned and executed over 100 multi-course wine dinners in my career. Some people like the hobby of being wine aficionados. Just because you and I can't handle our drinking or the way we drink doesn't mean we should judge others who can.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried some higher eng whiskeys ,I did think they were better ,Jameson was better than a lot of other scotch ,And Crown was my top choice ,in the end it was Beam ,and cheaper whiskeys ,in plastic bottles .

Whiskey in plastic bottles is disgusting stuff .

Ill bet vodkia in plastic bottles is really horrible stuff .
Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
My boss has the big wine cellar in the basement and spends a lot of money on wines. He swirls the glass around and smells it and describes flavors that make no sense. Why do people think they are any different drinking wine as someone drinking beer or liquor?

Sorry it's still alcohol no matter how many cool names and traditions you invent around it. He had me edit his wine website, and theres a quote page. Into the quotes I added " What wine goes best with captain crunch?" - George carlin. He wasn't too happy as this quote didn't make wine out to be glorious like the others quotes.
Lol, that's an amazing quote. Although when I was drinking, my question was "What cereal goes best with wine?"
Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if this thread was meant to be so entertaining, but you guys made my morning, thank you!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What kind of wine would go best with my dinner menu, I'm having Hotdogs and Fries. I was thinking a nice white or a sumptuous red?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
What kind of wine would go best with my dinner menu, I'm having Hotdogs and Fries. I was thinking a nice white or a sumptuous red?

a robust zinfandel of course or mad dog
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
In some parts of the country they'd suggest "Cheerwine" but I think it's a local soft drink...Personally I'd ditch wine and get some good Root Beer.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

From Earthly Powers, by Anthony Burgess:

"He did a comic oenophile act with the bottle of Marsovin: “Oh, I’d definitely say those raisins came from Grima’s backyard not Fenech’s, the north side where that diabetic tomcat goes for a pi ss, wouldn’t you?” "
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
My boss has the big wine cellar in the basement and spends a lot of money on wines. He swirls the glass around and smells it and describes flavors that make no sense. Why do people think they are any different drinking wine as someone drinking beer or liquor?

Sorry it's still alcohol no matter how many cool names and traditions you invent around it. He had me edit his wine website, and theres a quote page. Into the quotes I added " What wine goes best with captain crunch?" - George carlin. He wasn't too happy as this quote didn't make wine out to be glorious like the others quotes.
That's a bit of a generalization PhaseTwo. Some people prefer good whiskey, some vodka, some beer and some prefer wine. Not all wine drinkers are into the rituals and nuances that can sometimes go with drinking wine. And others are--hey whatever, if that's their thing, I say go with it.

Personally, I'm a fan of coffee, and there is a big difference in the quality and taste of various coffees, yet many people will claim that coffee is just coffee, as if it all tastes the same. It doesn't.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Lol, that's an amazing quote. Although when I was drinking, my question was "What cereal goes best with wine?"

A luke warm keystone ice at 5 am ,hungover as heck ,Was my choice .......

Or some Beam (:

Can you say GAG -REFLEX ...............
Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
That's a bit of a generalization PhaseTwo. Some people prefer good whiskey, some vodka, some beer and some prefer wine. Not all wine drinkers are into the rituals and nuances that can sometimes go with drinking wine. And others are--hey whatever, if that's their thing, I say go with it.

Personally, I'm a fan of coffee, and there is a big difference in the quality and taste of various coffees, yet many people will claim that coffee is just coffee, as if it all tastes the same. It doesn't.
I agree their are better quality coffees, wines, etc. just seemed as if there is a romanticization of wine drinking unlike any other drink. My intention for this post was simply to try to dispel wine drinkers from getting sucked into this glamorous image that's been created around it.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

There are some genuine wine lovers, but others can be ridiculously pretentious. I know the more I drank the choosier I got, and my palate became more sophisticated.
I really miss drinking wine for the taste (and buzz), but I can't moderate so I've got my priorities straight.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

"What wine goes best with captain crunch?" - George carlin

Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by elihoping View Post
I was chatting to a girl in work about this. I asked her if she thought all these expensive wines would sell if they could take out the alcohol content but leave the taste. We both laughed. "Definitely not!" was the answer. I'm sure people do get a kick out of the different flavours of different wines but I think they're still drinking it for the alcohol content.
This is an excellent post! Sits right with my question about how many people would attend the all important Happy Hour if there were no alcohol involved!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
This is an excellent post! Sits right with my question about how many people would attend the all important Happy Hour if there were no alcohol involved!
Over the last 5 or 6 years my wife and I got into going to wineries and learning about wine.

But bottom line is was just another excuse to catch a buzz.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I think wine is revolting. Fire water I call it. I used to like lager or Baileys, well I hated them in the end but they were my beverage of choice.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

honestly I don't think one can be a true wine aficionado and be an alcoholic. it doesn't work. For wine to be enjoyed the correct way you cant drink a gallon jug with your meal. two glasses..3 tops
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I enjoyed wine and actually got a job as a wine salesperson at one time. It was fun for me. But then I became obsessive and nuts like an unrequited lover and all of the fun went out the window.

Currently an ice cream snob.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Currently an ice cream snob.
Do what works! :-D