Notices

Ambien?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Our son's girlfriend, of 2 years, would take Ambien to sleep. Crazy is the exact word my son used to describe her too. She'd talk nonsense to him all during the night, she was active, moving around & talking in her prescribed sleep! Then in the morning wouldn't remember a thing. She was 17-19 years of age at this time. No alcohol involvement either during this time. I take Melatonin to help me fall asleep. : Bobbi
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is a paragraph from Wikipedia.....

Alcohol has cross tolerance with GABAA receptor positive modulators such as the benzodiazepines and the nonbenzodiazepine drugs. For this reason, alcoholics or recovering alcoholics may be at increased risk of physical dependency on zolpidem. Also, alcoholics and drug abusers may be at increased risk of abusing and or becoming psychologically dependent on zolpidem. It should be avoided in those with a history of alcoholism, drug misuse, physical dependency, or psychological dependency on sedative-hypnotic drugs. Zolpidem has rarely been associated with drug-seeking behavior, the risk of which is amplified in patients with a history of drug or alcohol abuse.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I detoxed off of Ambien after 20 years.......very addictive, I had a harder time detoxing from Ambien than benzos. A lot of MD's do not understand addiction.
That's awesome for you. (I didn't realize Ambien was around for that long?).
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes. I was put on it by a doctor. One of my friends in the city was a pharma rep too for the co way back then. I am glad I didn't have a problem until much later....
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Mirage - In the end I think you will need to talk to a Doc, and consider whether it is worth trying. You have gotten both ends of the spectrum on this Thread alone. I'd really recommend trying whatever you can to help you sleep before going with a script sleeping med.

Since you're asking though, I will share my experience. I have been on ambien for years, and have not experienced any of the horrors described by many. I come from many generations of people with sleeping issues, and I had suffered with them for about 30 years (most my life). I knew that my sleep issues could be very detrimental to sobriety for me. I think that is one of the main reasons I developed a drinking problem, cuz for the first time in my life I found a way to put myself to sleep.

Before I quit drinking I went to my Doc and discussed this issue. Eventually I got put on ambien. My Doc makes me go back yearly to discuss how its working, and checks in with me via email before he will renew a script.

Like many here, I am a poster child for my inability to moderate so many things. For some reason I am able to take ambien as prescribed. I think it is because if I abuse it and take more than prescribed, I'll just be out early and it really won't do me much good (plus I could never do the Doctor shop thing).

While I've been on ambien I've stayed sober, lost a significant amount of weight and my health markers are all excellent. Plus, I work out more (and harder) than ever. I average 7 hours of sleep a night. I'm not saying this to boast (I have a lot to work on yet!), just to say there is a positive side to this drug. My Doc is pretty impressed with my changes.

All this said, I would still prefer to not take this med if I didn't need to. At some point I hope I can sleep without it. I'm just not ready to try that yet.

As for whether I am truly sober? Alcohol was my poison. Its been over three and a half years since I've tasted that. I take ambien as prescribed. If someone thinks that means I'm not sober, then that's up to them. I feel fine with my taking it while being in Recovery.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful

I took Ambien every night for 3 years until just recently. My prescription ran out on a Friday and my doctor was out of town. I was having a hard time getting in touch with the doctor on call so I gave up and decided to just tough it out. When my doctor got back in town on Monday I had already made it through 3 nights without it so I decided (with my doctor's OK) to keep going.

***Do not try this without consulting with your physician first. Do as I say, not as I do.

I read up on the withdrawal effects and decided it was probably safe to do so because I was also on Ativan at the time (I was in the middle stages of tapering off of Ativan which I have completed successfully ). The only major withdrawal symptom I had was a pretty bad case of rebound insomnia that lasted about a week.

As far as being sober I will tell you what my sponsor told me about being on Ativan and Ambien. He said that if you have told your doctor that you are an alcoholic in recovery and you take it only as prescribed then you are sober. I am happy that I am off of both drugs now, but if my doctor felt that I needed to stay or go back on either drug I would still consider myself sober.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I took Ambien before coming to terms with my alcoholism. I'm not sure if I was or wasn't an alcoholic at the time but I had never acknowledged the issue.
Ambien made me feel drunk. So from a recovery point of view that would be dangerous because it would remind me that I liked being drunk.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have a prescription for Ambien and have had it for a number of years now. It was prescribed for insomnia related to my PTSD. I use it as needed which is as prescribed. I do make a point to do other things to try and help with sleep first before taking the medication. I have found that it is a medication I rarely have to use but I am thankful it is there when the insomnia takes a strong hold on me as sleeplessness only makes my PTSD worse and reduces my immune system. So it is essential for me to get sleep if I am ever going to recover from the PTSD.

I know there are those who feel that anyone who takes any medication is not sober. I know there are those who have had bad experience with medications and therefore feel no one should take them. I respect the right of those people to hold their opinions on what works for them but I also respect myself enough to allow myself to hold a different opinion from them.

I am an alcoholic who has been sober using the program of AA for 12 years now and I do not consider myself any less sober for utilizing medications prescribed by my doctor who is well aware of my alcoholism history. Drugs were never my problem. They never interested or appealed to me and still do not. Even with that I am still careful about taking medications and work closely with my doctor so that I am on the lowest amount of medications that will effectively treat my conditions and I am make sure I research every medication I take or has been suggested by my doctor. I don't blindly take everything that is recommended, I discuss the options with my doctor and work in partnership with him/her. I also check my motives before taking any as needed medication and make sure I have done everything I can to relieve the problem prior to taking the medication. I do this because I am well aware that even though drugs were never my problem the potential is there for abuse and I respect that.

That's my shiny two cents worth.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
Wondering if anyone takes Ambien for sleep. When I went through detox they gave me a prescription. I never got it filled. I've been thinking about getting it, but I read online that it is a benzo. So it can be addictive, although "experts" claim it is unlikely if taken as prescribed.

Just wondering why my detox center would prescribe me a benzo for sleep. Is taking Ambien considered a relapse?
AMBIEN!!

Usually I have a high tolerance and need to take double the dose of anything normal people would...but....Ambien!All I know is while taking Ambien I woke up in the morning soaking wet. How I got that way is still a mystery, because I remember NOTHING about my husband having to drag me into the Shower because I was comatose. How does that happen?? I still cannot remember that night--think I may have died if it wasn't for the cold shower--such a Drama Queen, Huh!!

MOO--Do Not Touch that stuff.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Not sure? but is Ambien the non benzo related to cases of sleep walking?
I must Google it.
My sister has taken temazepam among other benzos, for round 30 years for serious insomnia; she is now highly addicted, still sleeps very poorly, and lives as a virtual recluse.........
Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Angry

With regards to benzos and any long time usage it is wise to ensure your G.P. has a working knowledge about these drugs, that some don't, is not unheard of..................
Old 10-19-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
With regards to benzos and any long time usage it is wise to ensure your G.P. has a working knowledge about these drugs, that some don't, is not unheard of..................
ive learned that pharmacists have that better knowledge of medications. thank God for my pharmacist to catch meds that were prescribed by my G.P. that very well could have caused serious side effects brought on by other meds I am on.