Notices

Sobriety--Does Genetics play a part?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety--Does Genetics play a part?

Hi Guy's,

Been wondering about this for a while now. In reading this forum I have found many stories of achieving sobriety. For some it seemed relatively simple and there are others that achieved it only after numerous relapses. There are some who want to get sober, but just can not seem to stop the alcohol intake.

I suppose I always thought willpower had a lot to do with getting sober or surrendering to a Higher Power Higher Being,(so to speak).

How is it that some are able to free themselves from alcohol relatively quickly, even on their first try and others relapse over and over--eventually or never achieving sobriety.

I am thinking maybe there is a biological or genetic reason for some people Never achieving sobriety. Could there be genetic factors that make it a near impossibility for some to get sober. Just as there is a genetic predisposition to becoming an alcoholic maybe there is a gene that makes some unable to fight this condition.....or might there be a correlation between the length of time one has been an alcoholic and the time it takes to successfully give it up.

Just seems there may be more to it than just the will to get sober, and perhaps it is genetically impossible for some to ever achieve sobriety once alcohol gets into their bodies.......or am I setting up the perfect excuse to continue drinking? ....or am I just thinking crazy? Take your best shot, I won't be offended if the answer is CRAZY, LOL!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No. don't let anyone tell you any different. No evidence of that
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know. I've heard hair-raising stories of those you'd think would never be able to stop and they are sober. I'm sorta shocked that I'm sober almost 5 months now. I don't even really think it has much to do with willpower but more to do with how much you want to get sober and the quality of your surrender.

The only way that I'd see genetics playing a part is the physical disease itself. Perhaps some are more physically addicted than others. If I didn't detox in a medical facility, there's no doubt in my mind that I would've drank myself to death in a matter of days.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think its nature plus nurture plus duration of condition all playing a big role when it comes to the who can stop/who cant or have more or less difficulty. In general, no one person has the same challenge as any other accomplishing any goal.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

no way,,
if you believe that, then you are basically saying, it is program in your DNA just like you eye or hair color and nothing can change that.
just because some people can stop and you have difficult time, good for them,, and keep on trying for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
no way,, if you believe that, then you are basically saying, it is program in your DNA just like you eye or hair color and nothing can change that. just because some people can stop and you have difficult time, good for them,, and keep on trying for you.
If that is directed to me, I don't think you comprehended what I wrote very well.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
If that is directed to me, I don't think you comprehended what I wrote very well.
I hate to answer for someone else,but I took it to be the answer to my question of weather the capability to stop is somehow "Programed in our DNA"---genetically?

You made perfect sense in your answer.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
I hate to answer for someone else,but I took it to be the answer to my question of weather the capability to stop is somehow "Programed in our DNA"---genetically?

You made perfect sense in your answer.
Yes, I intended to answer your OP as well, thought the other poster was referring to my answer..... Perhaps I wasn't expansive enough in my answer either. I believe genetics may be one of several factors contributing to one's capability to stop, just like accomplishing any other goal, such as 'becoming a physicist'. As to whether any one or the other of those factors I mentioned generically (nurture or more generally environment, and duration) plays a bigger part in any or all all persons, or is always capable of being 'overridden' by the others, I just do not know, in fact that may be something I see as 'unknowable'.

Genes tell the whole story in eye color, at least as far as we know. When it comes to a persons actions in general I believe they are always part of the story, but likely never the whole story. I think that applies to all of a person's actions, not just ones related to sobriety.

I want to believe that anyone afflicted with addiction can achieve sobriety regardless of these other factors, but I certainly can't prove it. There is evidence both ways, to my understanding.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i was directing my response to any one reading my post.

i did read your post and i comprehended it. i do not believe that genetics has a role in my past failure to stay sober, it was my decision to keep drinking for what ever reason. but when i decided to stay sober, well i still sober today. and genetics did not play a role in that.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i did read your post and i comprehended it. i do not believe that genetics has a role in my past failure to stay sober, it was my decision to keep drinking for what ever reason. but when i decided to stay sober, well i still sober today. and genetics did not play a role in that.
People make lots of decisions. They do this using their brains, contrary to what it seems sometimes.

Genetics played a role in creating your brain, your personality, and your capacity to reason. Your capacity to reason is part of why have the ability to make those decisions and choices.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can only speak for my personal experience.

The first time I tried I was a wreck. This time I am calm at at peace.

As far as I now my genetics and my DNA are the same so I have to say no, it has nothing to do with it, at least in my case.

I think sometimes we can get so wrapped up in looking for knowledge and the science of addiction we can lose sight of the original goal.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How do you know that with certainty? Isn't it possible that our genetic make-up influences our way of thinking and problem solving. If that is the case who knows if it may influence someones ability to control their urges/needs when it comes to letting go of alcohol?It is possible , right?

Believe me I have no dog in this hunt. I was one of the lucky ones who one day drank my last bottle of Scotch and never looked back---I just wonder why It was so final for me , but not others...and I know it's not luck.

Just sayin.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't see how it's possible genetics would have anything to do with it
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

People make lots of decisions. They do this using their brains, contrary to what it seems sometimes.

Genetics played a role in creating your brain, your personality, and your capacity to reason. Your capacity to reason is part of why have the ability to make those decisions and choices.
well i do not think my genetics played a role in allowing me to have the ability to decide to stop drinking. i made that choice because i i did not want to loose more that i lost already. that is a decision that we call can make if we deep down wanted too, either own will power, AA, be hind bars.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Genetics and environment, both roughly equal factors.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Genetics....and an environment encouraging a lifestyle of repeated abuse.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Interesting comments. Seems to me 99 3/4% of this forum is about beating the problem on a small scale, that's certainly my focus, but I'm also interested in the problem of beating the problem on a large scale.

I've watched three relatives die painfully from cancer in the last 10 years, and no one in my family has cancer right now, but I'm still interested in and support cancer research.

Ask the majority of people with addiction experience if they think there is a genetic predisposition playing a factor in a person developing an addiction, and they'll say, yes, sure, there are outliers, but to a big extent, yes.

Ask if there is a genetic predisposition towards beating the addiction easily or hard, with many struggles and get the opposite answer?

Seems weird to me. I think I understand what's driving the contradictory opinion HERE and why, but I don't care for the logic in general at all.

I'm not looking for an excuse for my past behavior, I've been fighting this since I was a teenager, and my difficulty and results in keeping sober as well as other addictive\mentally ill behavior in my family tree had a LOT to do with my decision NOT to have children

I'd like to see a future where this malady could be cured or prevented. I imagine I won't live to see it, just like I won't live to see the cure for cancer, the common cold, or get the flying car I was promised when growing up. That doesn't keep me from being interested in all those things and doing whatever small part I can to get us there.

Here's a link to some summary information on a study that showed a possible link between genetics and success in achieving sobriety.

Summit Medical Group Newsletter - Genetic Variation May Aid in Sobriety
Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Interesting comments. Seems to me 99 3/4% of this forum is about beating the problem on a small scale, that's certainly my focus, but I'm also interested in the problem of beating the problem on a large scale.

I've watched three relatives die painfully from cancer in the last 10 years, and no one in my family has cancer right now, but I'm still interested in and support cancer research.

Ask the majority of people with addiction experience if they think there is a genetic predisposition playing a factor in a person developing an addiction, and they'll say, yes, sure, there are outliers, but to a big extent, yes.

Ask if there is a genetic predisposition towards beating the addiction easily or hard, with many struggles and get the opposite answer?

Seems weird to me. I think I understand what's driving the contradictory opinion HERE and why, but I don't care for the logic in general at all.

I'm not looking for an excuse for my past behavior, I've been fighting this since I was a teenager, and my difficulty and results in keeping sober as well as other addictive\mentally ill behavior in my family tree had a LOT to do with my decision NOT to have children

I'd like to see a future where this malady could be cured or prevented. I imagine I won't live to see it, just like I won't live to see the cure for cancer, the common cold, or get the flying car I was promised when growing up. That doesn't keep me from being interested in all those things and doing whatever small part I can to get us there.

Here's a link to some summary information on a study that showed a possible link between genetics and success in achieving sobriety.

No real evidence in a genetic predisposition on developing or beating an addiction. none
Old 10-14-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ask if there is a genetic predisposition towards beating the addiction easily or hard, with many struggles and get the opposite answer

Thanks Foolsgold,

You pretty much summed up my thoughts. Nice to see thinking outside the box. I am always curious about future discoveries for this condition.

I realize this condition is so difficult to beat that sometimes looking beyond ourselves to the bigger picture is difficult. Probably should not have bothered asking that question.

Thanks again for your input,
TrixMixer
Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
I don't see how it's possible genetics would have anything to do with it
Not to be argumentative, but genetics has everything to do with ones addictivness to alcohol. Keep an open mind Recovery is part of that process.