SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I found a beer, what to do? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/310432-i-found-beer-what-do.html)

DAB 10-12-2013 05:46 PM

I found a beer, what to do?

I found a full can of beer yesterday under my basement stairs.
I'm not sure what to do. I thought about pouring it out but I'm afraid if I smell it...
So, I just put it back where I found it.
I know I should just throw it away, why haven't I?
It's a can of Red Dog. I remember my open case falling down the stairs about two and a half years ago. I was pretty sure I lost a few under the stairs when it happened, funny I should find one of them now.

suki44883 10-12-2013 05:49 PM

Dump it. Poke a hole in the can and toss it out in the yard. In any sense, get rid of it quickly and then go on about your business.

heath480 10-12-2013 05:56 PM

Tip it out,don't dwell on it,just do it.Do it outdoors,you won't smell it.

Johnston 10-12-2013 06:04 PM

Shake it up and then nail it from 20 feet away with a BB gun. This will provide closure. Just kidding, drive someplace with an outdoor trash receptacle and throw it in.

Stewart888 10-12-2013 06:05 PM

you have almost 2 years you should be teaching us....but, yaaaaa throw it out then, get rid of it, now. my God you have me worried.

foolsgold66 10-12-2013 06:13 PM

Whatever you do to keep sober, whatever program you follow, get busy reading or doing it or whatever until you do the right thing with that beer.

silentrun 10-12-2013 06:21 PM

As fellow Minnesotan I am surprised it survived 2.5 years. That has got to be skunky as all get out. I have no desire to drink but if it was in the house my brain would obsess until I either drank it or dumped it. So dump it DAB (unless you live in NE)

Sudz No More 10-12-2013 06:22 PM

Hope you tossed it bud, that would be a scary find for me

jaynie04 10-12-2013 06:24 PM

The morning after I got home from rehab I opened a cabinet in the laundry room, 3/4 huge bottle of vodka. Called husband to dump it out.

The following week I was putting something away in a guest bathroom under the sink, full bottle of white wine. Called husband to dump it out.

I didn't go with my husband and daughter to the beach this year. I took a bath the night after they left and I looked over at a potted plant by the window and I guess I had stuck a handle of vodka in there before I left for rehab, it was 3/4 full I left it there for 6 days. For some reason, it didn't have any appeal. If it did I think I would have hucked it out the window. My husband got rid of it when he got home.

He was like....Are you kidding me? You were like a packrat with these bottles stashed everywhere. Scary I don't even remember putting them there.

The week I was "home alone" with the bottle I realized, sobriety isn't about what is in the bottle, it's about what's in my head. I wouldn't put myself in situations, and to the best of my knowledge I have found everything. If you need to have my husband come over to get rid of the beer for you...he's getting good at it..:)

FeelingGreat 10-12-2013 06:27 PM

Mate, chuck it in the outside bin. Don't open it if you think the smell would be too much.

DAB 10-12-2013 06:28 PM

I am not tempted to drink it. I have just been contemplating keeping it around like the smoker that quits, and keeps that one cigarette in the glass tube.
I almost feel like getting rid of it is being weak.
It doesn't scare me to have it here, but that's how I feel today and I don't know what tomorrow will bring.

silentrun 10-12-2013 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 4235462)
I am not tempted to drink it. I have just been contemplating keeping it around like the smoker that quits, and keeps that one cigarette in the glass tube.

Argg what movie was that?

Nevertheless 10-12-2013 06:36 PM

I'm speaking strictly for myself here. But I still have the beer that was next in line from the night I quit,sitting right here by the TV. I look at that beer every single day. I keep it in plain sight so I don't ever forget what I went through trying to quit. The times I was almost gritting my teeth together when I drove in front of a liquor store. Wanting to pull in.
I might have been in danger of drinking it early on,but not that I can remember. Myself,I have always had to really watch out for the things I don't expect. Just like the surprise DAB got when he found that beer. It kind of snuck up on him didn't it. I agree he should pour that sucker out,because he sounds like he wants do drink it.

Ooops He was posting while I was writing. Keep it like I do. It honestly does remind me every day.

Fred

foolsgold66 10-12-2013 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 4235462)
I almost feel like getting rid of it is being weak.
It doesn't scare me to have it here, but that's how I feel today and I don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Well, that's a relief. Is there other alcohol in your house, routinely, or occasionally? I honestly would play that in to my decision. If you are used to living in a house that seemingly has no alcohol, this might be a bigger deal than you think....

MaidenNZ 10-12-2013 06:48 PM

Step 1. Smack yourself on the head with it twice for asking such a question and throw it out.

Step 2. If confused, refer to step 1.

DAB 10-12-2013 07:05 PM

I just threw it out in the dumpster out back.

suki44883 10-12-2013 07:18 PM

To Thine Own Self Be True
:c011:

Leadfoot 10-12-2013 08:07 PM

You threw it away??? I'd have put it in the fridge and saved it for when a friend came over.

foolsgold66 10-12-2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Leadfoot (Post 4235618)
You threw it away??? I'd have put it in the fridge and saved it for when a friend came over.

A 2.5 year old canned beer? I think I would rather give that to someone I didn't like.... :lmao

gaffo 10-12-2013 08:22 PM

That beer was gross enough when it was fresh, I can't believe it would be drinkable now.

When I first quit, I found a bottle of Canadian under the house. I don't know why it was there, I never drank that stuff, never mind hid it. I put it out for my drunk friends and it was quickly consumed. I don't feel one way or another about it now. At the time it reminded me why I had quit.