Notices

I found a beer, what to do?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
A 2.5 year old canned beer? I think I would rather give that to someone I didn't like....
That was the plan. It might inspire someone to quit drinking.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

On the lighter side of this issue, years ago I tried to collect an annual edition of my favorite beer. Well it only took one year to realize that beer does not age well. I still have a couple left that I cycle into my friends' beers every Xmas...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

More comedy...

In college my roommate collected full cans of each different kind of beer. He was a weird guy, great really, but terribly anal about his stuff. So, of course we used to jack with him.

He liked all his stuff on his desk in a certain place, perfectly aligned, and would throw a fit if it was moved, accidentally or otherwise.

One day I drew lines around all that stuff on the desk with a pencil as a gag. He actually thought that was funny and practical and left it that way a long time.

One time however, I opened one of his single can 'collection' and drank it, then put it back. I swear, he got crazy mad, was gonna kick my ass, chased me like a quarter mile out the dorm and down the quad...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

As far as being tempted to drink it -if my mindset is to not drink - I won't drink. My wife keeps her beer in the fridge, her wine on the counter and I know she has vodka stashed somewhere in the house. Besides, every store sells alcohol - I would have to live in a cave not to have it in my face.

Speaking on saving that can of beer for a memento - I collect rare and unique beer glasses and shot glasses because I have always had a dream of building a bar in my house.

Well yesterday I was at a thrift shop and they had some cool beer glasses. But now I can't buy them because I don't need them - that dream of a bar isn't going to happen. I also have alcohol related shirts and hats in my closet.

Quitting alcohol is more than just putting that bottle down. After 25 years of hard drinking, boozing has become my identity.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DAB View Post
I found a full can of beer yesterday under my basement stairs.
I'm not sure what to do. I thought about pouring it out but I'm afraid if I smell it...
So, I just put it back where I found it.
I know I should just throw it away, why haven't I?
It's a can of Red Dog. I remember my open case falling down the stairs about two and a half years ago. I was pretty sure I lost a few under the stairs when it happened, funny I should find one of them now.
Any self-respecting alcoholic wouldn't let it go to waste. Someone who wants to get sober would pour it down the sink.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi DAB, good job on not drinking it. Throw it away. You don't have to open it. Just throw it away. Best wishes!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news you threw it out.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
DAB

Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
You threw it away??? I'd have put it in the fridge and saved it for when a friend came over.
I looked on the bottom of the can, it expired September 2012.
I wouldn't offer that to a friend, Red Dog is bad enough when it's fresh.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

But any alcoholic worth his salt would have drank it anyways. I made a batch of nasty stuff that I think rotted before it fermented. It took me damn near a week to drink it all.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It's not the can that'll be the problem it'll be what happens after that's done.
Do what you want just get rid.
John.