Notices

32 Days Sober But

Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

32 Days Sober But

I've been having cravings the last 2 days. The first month wasn't bad, but the last few days I've had extreme cravings. What do you guys do to make it go away? How long did you guys crave drinking before you started to not care as much? I'm less then hour away from day 33 and want to stay sober. I will either way, but it would be nice if the cravings weren't as bad.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Boston, Yea for 33 days. I use urge surfing for the cravings and anxieties. It helps me so very much. Great job. Keep going!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I realize there's no miracle cure for the cravings, but any tips or advice to make them better would be helpful. Last night when I was laying in bed I really wanted vodka, it just came out of no where.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
Hi Boston, Yea for 33 days. I use urge surfing for the cravings and anxieties. It helps me so very much. Great job. Keep going!
Thanks and I plan to keep going. It's gotten a lot better since day 1, so I expect it to keep getting better. I still think about alcohol everyday, lots of dreams about it, but most of the time I don't have bad cravings, but last few days I have on and off.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

your still adjusting to being sober it'll get easier in the next month and easier still the month after that stay strong
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It WILL get better and easier. You just have to fight thru it. I know that's not really advice but just wanted to assure you that it won't always be this way. Hang in there!!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on day 24 and have had some bad cravings tonight too, BSF. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Good job on not giving in
Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on the sober time! Cravings are different for everyone, but generally they get better as time goes on. So, put as much distance between you and your last drink as you can. I know this is fairly obvious, but just wanted to show you some support.

I don't really have a lot of tips. Try to remember why you quit. Shortly after I quit I started a document that had inspirational sayings, communication I had with people where they were supportive and other things I found helpful. I combined it all into one Word Document, and I would read it when I wanted to go back to the drink. I added to it over the years, and found it helpful.

Hang in there.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Nothing happened or will happen today that a drink will improve"

I say this to myself A LOT throughout the day.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by ChefWolverine View Post
"Nothing happened or will happen today that a drink will improve" I say this to myself A LOT throughout the day.
Ooh, I like that!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I ate food. Stuff I really liked. I was always less likely to want to drink when I had eaten enjoyable food. I also took L-Glutamine along with my multi-vitamins daily for the first couple of years. I tried getting sober with and without and it definitely made a difference, but please don't take my word for it. There's lots of info on the net.

It DOES get easier though - slowly but surely, you plod along then one day you realise you haven't thought about alcohol for a while - it gives you such a boost. You really are over the worst, if you drink again you just have to do it ALL over again.

Well done for hanging in there!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ate then I went gym....I repeated that process a lot lol.......It does get easier.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know how you can stop cravings, but what I do is think the drink through. I ask myself, "how will I feel tomorrow if I drink? When have I ever regretted NOT drinking?" It helps to imagine the hangover and guilt and all the rest that goes with it. Sorry you're struggling. It will get better.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
mpr

Cravings all vary person to person. The cravings will naturally be strongest in the beginning but since you are about a month in that is good, the first couple weeks would be the worst for me.

Keep busy with stuff you like, ideally productive things that help time fly by. I opted for fitness, food, movies, quality time with people I like etc..

Don't forget to catch a meeting if you are craving and dead bored. The forum is great but usually it supplements the recovery process.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Today I am 76 days sober. The craving will come and go. I have had dreams about alcohol 4 out of the last 5 nights. I will sometimes get stressed out and say "f sobriety - you only live once and should be able to get loaded if you want".

But you do only live once and the life of being an alcoholic is not a good life.

I try to remember that the way I feel at the moment will be different in 10 minutes, in 10 hours, in 10 days etc. Just stay strong.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I realize there's no miracle cure for the cravings, but any tips or advice to make them better would be helpful. Last night when I was laying in bed I really wanted vodka, it just came out of no where.
I find that sweets help.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You have a month..good job...for me like others we need to think it though. Nice thing about being sober is we have clear thinking. I now have 374 days and I'll tell you I surly do not want to go though the first 2 weeks again. Even your post is helping me...I feel sorry for you but know how you feel. Honestly, anyone with more then 1 month knows how you feel. Just do it....and it does get easier. Plus I really proud of you...really....
Old 10-12-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I've been having cravings the last 2 days. The first month wasn't bad, but the last few days I've had extreme cravings. What do you guys do to make it go away? How long did you guys crave drinking before you started to not care as much? I'm less then hour away from day 33 and want to stay sober. I will either way, but it would be nice if the cravings weren't as bad.
First of all, congrats on 33 days. At 46 days I had strong cravings. I was able to push the cravings aside, but for some reason they came on strong that day. I ignored them and by the following day I was fine. I've not had any significant cravings since then (I'm at 71 days today).

Just ride it out as best you can; the cravings should subside with each additional day of sobriety.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Boston and I can't believe I missed your posts fellow Mainer!

Sobriety is up and down. Bouts of cravings will get further in between and then sometimes for a couple days it just seems to come back full force. Take comfort in the fact that they do go away. I'm almost at 5 months and still get them once in a while. What was once a scream though is dissipating and becoming more of a whisper. I also don't think about drinking anywhere near as much as I used to.

What are you doing to keep yourself sober? I find that it's worse when I don't keep my mind active.

Congrats on 32 days!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice, kind words, and support. It means a lot.