Notices

32 Days Sober But

Old 10-12-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Hi Boston and I can't believe I missed your posts fellow Mainer!

Sobriety is up and down. Bouts of cravings will get further in between and then sometimes for a couple days it just seems to come back full force. Take comfort in the fact that they do go away. I'm almost at 5 months and still get them once in a while. What was once a scream though is dissipating and becoming more of a whisper. I also don't think about drinking anywhere near as much as I used to.

What are you doing to keep yourself sober? I find that it's worse when I don't keep my mind active.

Congrats on 32 days!
Where in Maine are you from?

Since I'm not working or in school right now I keep busy by hanging out with friends, music, TV, and exercise. Would be in school but the end of my alcoholic run and then detox messed that up.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Just sent you a message
Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I've been having cravings the last 2 days. The first month wasn't bad, but the last few days I've had extreme cravings. What do you guys do to make it go away? How long did you guys crave drinking before you started to not care as much? I'm less then hour away from day 33 and want to stay sober. I will either way, but it would be nice if the cravings weren't as bad.
Hi Bostonsportsfan

Congratulations on your 38 days! This is a time to be good to yourself. Pat yourself on the back for having the stregnth to get this far and reward yourself when you feel the urge. A Food you love, a shopping spree, a massage,etc .

I know whenever I felt the urge to drink I just got out of the house and went to the library to read medical journals (I know, weird) but that was MY thing , I also ate a lot of ice cream and could have cared less about putting on weight. Sobriety was my main concern.

Something that really helped me was to just take a moment and reflect on the fact that this was the one and only chance I had to stay sober. The opportunity would never arise again. To drink after all this time would seal my fate as a Forever Alcoholic. I could not take the chance Iwould ever have the opportunity to quit again--I basically scared the H---our of myself.

It must have helped it kept me sober and it is now 25 years. Believe me I still have dreams about drinking and I wake up in a cold sweat thinking I have to start all over again.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bostonsportsfan,

I am going on day 45 and seem to be over any major cravings. The last week has been a lot better than the first 30 or so days so I welcome that. I think it is probably different from person to person, and it probably depends on how often and how much we drank. I was strictly a nighttime drinker and never drank before 7:00 pm. I was pretty miserable on the couple of hours leading up to my time of drinking.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It seems like as the days go on the idea of drinking would be a set back over a good time. I'd just feel guilt for drinking over enjoying it. At the same time I feel I could wake up, drink, and jump back into the same pattern. I know the longer I'm sober the less I'll think about it and care to drink, but today is day 36 and I'm not there yet. I know how much more I wanted to drink on day 10 or 15 so it will keep getting better.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well today's day 41 and it hasn't been going well.

Been worrying about the dumbest stuff that doesn't even matter, but it's gone away for the most part. I just feel confused and lost I guess. Not sure if that makes sense, but I just don't feel right. Nothing serious, but just a confused feeling. Not sure what's up.