Notices

can you quit drinking without AA?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

want to delete what was previously posted in this space, but there's no delete option.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I am sure some can. There are many different recovery methods as well as people that just flat out quit and stayed sober.

I am not one of these people.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I have not read any of the responses...just saqw the title and wanted to offer my two cents without reading responses first.

I quit for 11.5 years cold turkey. Decided I could drink again with one little red wine at a dinner party. That was 12 years and at least 50 relapses ago. During this time I have stopped for over a year a couple times.

I am slightly over 4 mos sober today. I decided to attend an AA meeting on June 3rd...with an open mind and not looking for the fault in the program. I now go to a meeting almost every day. Something strange happened and by the end of week one, I opened my heart to AA.

Fact is that I didn't need AA to stop drinking...but it is finally teaching me to understand my alcoholic thinking.

Not pitching AA in any way here. I may relapse tomorrow...but prior to that happening I can look at my cell and know that I have at least 25 people that I just recently met that would do anything I to talk me down from that bridge.

I was sober over a year prior to my last relapse. I walked around that bar 4 times...took almost an hour before I finally walked in and went on a 7 month run. If only I had those names, numbers and friendships then.

Alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful...and most of all it has been "patient" with me.

My best to you on your sober journey.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Not pitching AA in any way here. I may relapse tomorrow...but prior to that happening I can look at my cell and know that I have at least 25 people that I just recently met that would do anything I to talk me down from that bridge.
Aside from the steps which I really love, this is the biggest attraction AA holds for me especially since I completely isolated when I drank.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post

My godfather was that way too with cocaine and alcohol: completely off the hook!

he is a very spiritual person

who does a lot for the community by volunteering etc

I think the common denominator for all of us who got and stayed sober regardless of method (or lack of method) is acceptance:
I would lean more towards the

" he is a very spiritual person "

with acceptance in the #2 spot

The Doctor's Opinion (Continued)

C: He said: (p. xxvii, par. 2) 'On the other hand--and strange as this may seem to those who do not understand--once a psychic change has occurred, the very same person who seemed doomed, who had so many problems he despaired of ever solving them, suddenly finds himself easily able to control his desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules. '
Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I think I said in an earlier post that AA helped me quit. Actually, I quit without AA, and then attended my first meeting a few days later. AA has helped me stay sober. I honestly don't think I would still be sober without AA, but that's just me. SR has also been a huge help. And I use techniques from other recovery programs as well. Whatever works, is good!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I listened to well meaning advise and solutions from people who did not have my problem for years - and it nearly killed me trying to live like them.

It's only when I came into AA and met people who understood the true nature of my illness did I fully understand how deadly denial is and how it continues to evolve in even more subtle rationalizations.

For those of you that don't need AA why talk about it so much ?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yep,
But it made it much easier in my first three months. Then I stopped but check in with my wonderful home group buddies once in a blue moon. I just recovered. No more craving or feeling deprived. No thinking about it much at all anymore except here. Recovered does not mean I can take even one sip or drink. It means I don't want one even if I could. I drank my fill in decades. I'm done.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
want to delete what was previously posted in this space, but there's no delete option.
Why? Because you asked for a statistic and then when it was presented, said you don't believe in statistics?

Don't worry about deleting it, it's hilarious!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Why? Because you asked for a statistic and then when it was presented, said you don't believe in statistics?

Don't worry about deleting it, it's hilarious!
No. I responded to the statistic post. I wrote an afterthought regarding my not carefully reading the statistical information, then realized after posting that I was just beating a dead horse.

Not sure if you're referring to my deletion as hilarious, freshstart's statistical info, or awuh's post - but it doesn't really matter. Just hope you read awuh's post.

And regarding my asking for statistics, I was wrong in doing that because I honestly don't believe in any statistics regarding alcoholism. In the future when someone posts something that doesn't seem real to me, I'll simply ask where they got that info from. Live and learn.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
And regarding my asking for statistics, I was wrong in doing that because I honestly don't believe in any statistics regarding alcoholism. In the future when someone posts something that doesn't seem real to me, I'll simply ask where they got that info from. Live and learn.
You believing or not believing in statistics matters about the same as you believing or not believing in gravity. Gravity is regardless of your belief. The same for valid statistical evidence.

You asked for statistical data. You got it. It didn't fit your worldview and you want to dismiss all statistics. Bad form indeed.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
You believing or not believing in statistics matters about the same as you believing or not believing in gravity. Gravity is regardless of your belief. The same for valid statistical evidence.

You asked for statistical data. You got it. It didn't fit your worldview and you want to dismiss all statistics. Bad form indeed.
Really? Try reading what I stated. And try reading the statistical information you're defending.

Hmm... Statistical information regarding alcoholics compared to gravity? Hmm, again... Ill bow out of this gracefully now as its clear what's beginning to happen here.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I did read the statistical information. I suggest you follow your own advice.

You often say something indefensible and then "bow out" when someone calls you on it. This isn't the first time that you've done this.

Believe what you want. Your belief in no way influences the validity of statistical evidence.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Asking the question regarding quitting without AA is like asking the question as to whether you can find God without going to Church.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm really starting to enjoy this thread, so I can only guess it will be closed soon.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by rAAt View Post

For those of you that don't need AA why talk about it so much ?
I suspect they talk about it because often when someone on SR says they quit without AA, a number of AA people come in to either say outright, or strongly suggest that those people are "dry drunks", white knuckling, miserable, or have inferior lives to people who are sober WITH AA.

Also, just as many people who found sobriety in AA first tried a variety of other methods that did not work for them, and share those stories. Likewise many people have tried AA and found it did not work for them and moved on to other methods. Many people are qualified to speak about a variety of methods and their experiences with them.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I suspect they talk about it because often when someone on SR says they quit without AA, a number of AA people come in to either say outright, or strongly suggest that those people are "dry drunks", white knuckling, miserable, or have inferior lives to people who are sober WITH AA.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post

I'm really starting to enjoy this thread, so I can only guess it will be closed soon.

that has also been my experience

Mountainman
Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Yep, I knew I was right in not reading posts before I sent my first post on this thread. It would have for sure changed the way and tone that I tried to simply answer the question that was asked.

One of the reasons that I rarely venture on the "Alcoholism" threads in general is how the AA debate "always" sneaks in.

If I'm not mistaken, statistics wasn't the driver of the question. Anybody that thinks they don't own their own sobriety program is plain nuts. Statistics do not mean crap to me when I look back on my day.

What did I do to stay sober?
What did I do to change my past alcoholic behavior and thinking?
If given the chance, did I try to help another alcoholic that is suffering?

What I offered initially was "MY" thoughts and experience based only on the question posed. Please keep my story out of your senseless statistics. I even hated that class in college.

Somehow I knew in advance that reading this thread was going to be like listening to the US congress spin their party bs.

AA has worked for many, not needed for others. Why not simply tell YOUR experience?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
I did read the statistical information. I suggest you follow your own advice.

You often say something indefensible and then "bow out" when someone calls you on it. This isn't the first time that you've done this.

Believe what you want. Your belief in no way influences the validity of statistical evidence.
Dude, ru 12?

The statistics that you are defending say that 1/2 the "recovered" people they included in their study drink occasionally. Yet you continue to argue and defend those statistics, while taking jabs at me.

Not sure the times you're talking about where I "bowed out" but if I have I assure you it's because I was either wrong and realized it, or realized that to continue would be pointless. As it was here with my last post, yet sometimes I can't help myself....