Notices

can you quit drinking without AA?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
There's LOTS of us here (and elsewhere) that have recovered without any so-called "program" (AA or otherwise). That's not a knock against AA, just a fact. And yes, I considered myself a "real" alcoholic (drank for nearly 30 years, the last 10 years got drunk nearly every single day). I did get some face-to-face support from a few key family members and close friends. I've also found SR to be an important tool to help me stay the course. I've had some people here say I was never a "real" alcoholic or I must be a "dry drunk" or I'm an AA basher...none of which is true. All I can do is go on living a happily sober life and hopefully inspire others to do the same.
I'm pretty much the same, i was daily heavy drinker for 20-25 years, SR is one of the best things I do for myself for support. I no longer count (it makes me feel anxious) but I was sober 2 years on May 5.

my friends never force me or ask why i don't drink and neither does my family, i mainly tell those who ask that i quit for health reasons. Drinking intensifies "meanopause" symptoms and HTN, promotes weight gain too, all things I don't need.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Rowd44,

I don't know if YOU can quit without AA. But I could and did. I'll have three years in December.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was almost 9 months sober when I came to AA. I've only been attending meetings for about a month and a half. So I quit on my own, but AA makes it easier and better. Honestly, AA helps me more with everyday life than it does with abstaining from alcohol.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Im close to a month with no AA. My support is here and helping others. Going to the gym has helped me with stress that I go through daily at work and keeping a positive mental attitude.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Can you quit drinking without AA?

Me? No. I couldn't. But that doesn't really matter.

Can you quit drinking without AA?

If you want to and find you can't, we'll always be there to help. I'm very happy to be a part of AA, it's done nothing but enrich my life.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

millions of people stopped drinking before AA in 1935
Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
And then AA came to be for those who couldn't.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

32 days sober, ****** day though, cannot wait for my aa meeting tonite. fridays seem the worst
Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people ask this question, of themselves anyway, and personally I think it is born out of AA's descriptions of different types of drinkers. It is unfortunate that someone's ability to quit drinking without AA is sometimes used to accuse someone of not being a 'real' alcoholic. Personally I almost wanted to prove a point about it, almost like if I could do it without AA then I wouldn't have to say I was an alcoholic. I do hate that word. I think there was some addictive thinking in that thought though. Then I have decided not to be daft and use it if I think it helps. I do not like the focus on one book, never been one for narrow viewpoints, but there is some really good stuff in AA that is of use to everyone, and not just alcoholics either. There was another part of me that felt like I was avoiding something by avoiding AA. I know I was avoiding public speaking, but also the usual scary elements of the steps. So many people duck out before step 4. I have learnt for sure from a lifetime of avoiding everything that it doesn't equal progress. So yeah, of course you can stay sober without AA, but if it helps what's the big deal. Maybe it is worth checking your motives, you may find like me you have other issues around it x
Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rowd44 View Post
I am curious to know if there are people that considered themselves addicted to alcohol and who have quit for more than 1 year without AA; 12 steps or rehab? In other words, has anyone just quit because they were ready and used a common sense approach that alcohol was causing problems in their lives and it was time to abstain.
rowd,
yes, sure. i quit in 2006 by realizing i was a drunk and joining others in LifeRing secular recovery.
and stayed quit.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

After a couple of decades of extreme drinking I finally found AA via de-tox in 1995 and some of it seemed to rub off on me, despite a short stay.
Some months later I opted for "normal drinking" and largely succeeded.
The problem was, I still very much had an alcoholic mind set and my limited drinking(I usually wanted more) required an insane vigilance, lest I got back to those really bad old days. Nothing too normal about that!

Now back with AA, six months in to recovery, doing the steps, attending meetings, meditating with God (HP)taking things on a daily basis, seeing a better life as a work in progress, and I am moving along better than I can recall.

I see AA as the catalyst in an ultra long and hard learning curve.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

If the hangovers get bad enough ,and you have to pay for the stupid drunken actions .

Yes you can quit ,what is your tolerance for misery , that's the question ?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

yep people sure can quit without AA. I did it. i view that AA helps you, but in the end, you are the one who makes a decision to stop. but if you cannot stop on your own, then i would try AA
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

AA might just be

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post

And then AA came to be for those who couldn't.

God has always supplied tools
for the one with a true desire to be sober (must be willing)

AA might just be one of his recently sent tools ??

I try to keep a full tool belt (kind of a treatment center saying)
a little bit of a lot of things is what has helped to keep me sober

Mountainman
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I went from total lunacy ,miserable ,drunk EVERY DAY ,to moderate drinker ,or most of the time no drinking at all .

I went to AA for a little while ,but decided it was not for me -too set in stone .

I like the hamsnetwork approach ,A google search will find it quickly .HAMS: Harm Reduction for Alcohol

Bottom line -we all have to find what works for our own situation .
Wow, that's interesting. I'd never heard of HAMS before.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You know, the problem with reaching a very high level of pain and then throwing in the towel is that you might be dead long before you get there. The pull of the druk and ability to block out the pain can be very great.

In the early 90's I was heavily addicted and experienced withdrawals that were absolute hell. Visual and auditory hallucinations along with days of blind terror where death seemed like a great option were not uncommon. The thing is I still did it for another 20 years.

This is the main reason that any method that helps you break free of it is great in my book. No one has to take the thing that far, you are not missing anything by stopping before it gets to those extremes.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisisme View Post

Yes. 8 years and another lifetime ago.
I only have myself, this site and Allen Carr to thank.
The internet, created by man, for use by man, saved me too. It is our greatest achievement.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
There's LOTS of us here (and elsewhere) that have recovered without any so-called "program" (AA or otherwise). That's not a knock against AA, just a fact. And yes, I considered myself a "real" alcoholic (drank for nearly 30 years, the last 10 years got drunk nearly every single day). I did get some face-to-face support from a few key family members and close friends. I've also found SR to be an important tool to help me stay the course. I've had some people here say I was never a "real" alcoholic or I must be a "dry drunk" or I'm an AA basher...none of which is true. All I can do is go on living a happily sober life and hopefully inspire others to do the same.
Great post, Besides anyone with Josaphene (sp?) as there avatar has to know what's going on.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rowd44 View Post
After over 3 decades of drinking I just had an insight one day after a bad bender, saw it for what it was and threw in the towel for good. That was over 5 years ago. No program needed but I was just done with it at that point

Back to Square one - did you consider yourself addicted to alcohol or just a person who drank lots and have a bad bender?

Good 4 u!!! You were ready!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Correct. But did they quit without a spiritual awakening? The following is Dr Carl Jung speaking to an alcoholic in the days that preceded AA

After telling Rowland H. that he could never regain his position in society, Dr. Carl Jung, the renowned Swiss psychiatrist, was asked, "Is there no exceptions?"

"Yes," replied Dr. Jung, "there is. Exceptions to cases such as yours have been occurring since early times. Here and there, once in a while, alcoholics have had what are called vital spiritual experiences." He went on to describe a spiritual experience as "To me these occurrences are phenomena. They appear to be in the nature of huge emotional displacements and rearrangements. Ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly cast to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to dominate them"
So that helps to bolster my position that a "Spiritual Awakening" is necessary. How you get your "Spiritual Awakening" is up to you. You can review the story of Matt Talbot and his Spiritual Awakening. His method involved some step taking of his own.

Having drunk excessively for 16 years, Talbot maintained sobriety for the following forty years of his life. There is evidence that Matt’s first seven years after taking the pledge were especially difficult.He found strength in prayer, began to attend daily Mass, and read religious books and pamphlets. He repaid all his debts scrupulously. Having searched for the fiddler whose instrument he had stolen, and failed to find him, he gave the money to the church to have Mass said for him.
Alcoholics Anonymous is just one way to get a Spiritual Awakening. As in (12). "Having had a Spiritual Awakening as the result of these twelve steps...." In AA nobody can tell you the exact date it happened, but those that walk among the ranks of the recovered can definitely attest to the fact that it did. So those that have quit may be able to identify with a Spiritual Awakening somewhere along the lines. God willing, they do.
Of course the necessity of a Spiritual Awakening is just my personal opinion and not to be taken as actual fact. But if you like it, go with it.