SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What withdrawal symptoms lastest the longest for you? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/310070-what-withdrawal-symptoms-lastest-longest-you.html)

CourageTO 10-08-2013 10:37 PM

What withdrawal symptoms lastest the longest for you?

Hello everyone my name is John and I am new to sobriety. 17 days to be exact and damn proud of myself. After suffering numerous legal and personal issues the withdrawal finally knocked some sense into me. I ended up have a seizure and went to detox. It was only my 4th time there, they knew me by name at this point. Well, the seizure was the last straw. I remember nothing except waking up with nurses around me. I chewed up a good party of my tongue and knocked my head pretty well because I fell off a bunk bed. That is a scary thought. Anyways, I am 23 years old. If I already suffered a seizure at this age I would not make it to see 30. I was drinking about a 5th of vodka (750ml) and a 6 pack a day. I have been drinking since I was 14. 17 days sober now! Wow. Well, a lot of my anxiety has went down but the symptoms that are still persistent as of now are the shaky hands, hot/cold flashes, and sweaty sticky palms. It is strange. I can wash my hands and they will start sweating and it feels sticky? Did anyone else have these symptoms? I know this can persist for months after but just wanted to hear your experiences. Thank you and it feels good to be here.

seahorse661 10-08-2013 11:22 PM

hi,
well done on 17 days! Anxiety was the last symptom to leave me

Whiterhino24 10-08-2013 11:37 PM

at 20 days I am still experiencing dizziness and anxiety but every day I feel those symptoms are leaving me and I feel better every day.

Wastinglife 10-08-2013 11:53 PM

Anxiety and insomnia seemed to last the longest for me. I am coming off a relapse that was a four day binge last week and still haven't really slept. Time is all you need. Each hour that passes without a drink, the better you are getting.

jutam 10-09-2013 03:57 AM

problems sleeping and emotional instability lasted the longest for me. Im not use to regulating my emotions. I go from irritable, to upset to happy.... all over the place sometimes. However, Im also mopping up the mess of my drinking and there has been some grief with the crap I created. My physical withdrawals were done after a week. I can get a bit anxious still. once I started working my sleep returned to normal because I was so tired. Any bad day I have in recovery is nothing like the carnage I can create in one night of drinking. So Im riding it out....

welcome to sobriety, it gets better and easier.... but it also gets real. I can handle real now and the roller coaster that can be sometimes.
congratulations on 17 days... it grows before you know it... (nearly 20 weeks)
:c011:

Dinger 10-09-2013 05:15 AM

I'm on day 1, but I seem to get stuck here a lot! The anxiety just gets too much and I give in

Starflyer 10-09-2013 10:51 AM

I still get the jitters, mostly when I have to write something by hand. My hands don't sweat too bad; however, for me, my feet sweat like crazy. It's so annoying because it's a "cold sweat"

zjw 10-09-2013 11:20 AM

anxiety lasted for months on end. it was aweful. I also had dizzyness no idea if its related to the drinking or not.

17 days sober is a lot way to go keep up the good work.

SkyeSea 10-09-2013 11:26 AM

Welcome to SR Courage and Dinger.

Yes, insomnia and anxiety tend to linger for a little while - much better than hangovers/withdrawals though :)

Tetra 10-09-2013 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by CourageTO (Post 4227815)
Hello everyone my name is John and I am new to sobriety. 17 days to be exact and damn proud of myself. After suffering numerous legal and personal issues the withdrawal finally knocked some sense into me. I ended up have a seizure and went to detox. It was only my 4th time there, they knew me by name at this point. Well, the seizure was the last straw. I remember nothing except waking up with nurses around me. I chewed up a good party of my tongue and knocked my head pretty well because I fell off a bunk bed. That is a scary thought. Anyways, I am 23 years old. If I already suffered a seizure at this age I would not make it to see 30. I was drinking about a 5th of vodka (750ml) and a 6 pack a day. I have been drinking since I was 14. 17 days sober now! Wow. Well, a lot of my anxiety has went down but the symptoms that are still persistent as of now are the shaky hands, hot/cold flashes, and sweaty sticky palms. It is strange. I can wash my hands and they will start sweating and it feels sticky? Did anyone else have these symptoms? I know this can persist for months after but just wanted to hear your experiences. Thank you and it feels good to be here.

Congrats on 17 days :)

Well, I also had seizures and used to suffer from alcohol related myoclonic jerks. I have seen a neurologist and still take a small dose of medication each night, but the jerks and the anxiety and shaky hands took a while to clear up, but they did disappear eventually...

Try not to worry and take care of yourself.

TDInstall 10-17-2013 01:50 AM

Depression, mood swings, loneliness and a deep sadness that I know will never leave me.

GracieLou 10-17-2013 02:15 AM

The Anger. Anger was a tough one. I wanted to run from it. I hated being mad, I always have but it was one of the only emotions I let be seen and heard. Hurt or pain, never. These I hid quite well.

I have learned it was not anger as much as it was fear. I read something the other day and it made me LOL. FEAR - F*CK EVERYTHING AND RUN.

That was me! When I drank I was off and running. Not being able to run from the anger and the fear was the hardest part for me.

Originally Posted by TDInstall (Post 4242996)
Depression, mood swings, loneliness and a deep sadness that I know will never leave me.

It will. I promise it will if you stay sober and work a recovery program. I am not saying you will never be sad again, that is not possible, but discovering the reasons for it and then dealing with it are better than sinking in it.

I still get sad to the point that I feel nothing else but I have learned to lean on and open up myself to others and sharing it, cuts it in half. You don't have to feel or be alone. We are here :hug:

tootsl1 10-17-2013 02:36 AM

Courage my heart goes out to you to bed Ealing with all this at such a young age.
First of all, congratulations on 17 sober days, you are right to be proud of yourself. Being so young and relying on alcohol for emotional support for so long, it is no wonder you have anxiety. Do you have access to therapy? Obviously something caused your early reliance on alcohol, so I feel you need to understand that to be able to move forward.

On the positive side, straightening your life out at your young age, you have an amazing future ahead of you. Be strong.

karate 10-17-2013 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 4243010)
The Anger. Anger was a tough one. I wanted to run from it. I hated being mad, I always have but it was one of the only emotions I let be seen and heard. Hurt or pain, never. These I hid quite well.

I have learned it was not anger as much as it was fear. I read something the other day and it made me LOL. FEAR - F*CK EVERYTHING AND RUN.

That was me! When I drank I was off and running. Not being able to run from the anger and the fear was the hardest part for me.

It will. I promise it will if you stay sober and work a recovery program. I am not saying you will never be sad again, that is not possible, but discovering the reasons for it and then dealing with it are better than sinking in it.

I still get sad to the point that I feel nothing else but I have learned to lean on and open up myself to others and sharing it, cuts it in half. You don't have to feel or be alone. We are here :hug:

ANGER ,here as well ,I actually had to get professional help for that one ,
could not master it on my own .

I was still mad as a lunatic ,90 days in ,no alcohol .

The anxiety seemed to go away in about 2 weeks ,I tapered off with benzo"s and only took them daily for a week or so .

I do have a RX for benzo"s ,take them when it gets out of hand -they work GREAT , but I do not abuse them .