Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

"I can't drink _______, it really messes me up!!"

Notices

"I can't drink _______, it really messes me up!!"

Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Rye/whiskey was particularly troublesome for me. It just got me to that 'dark place' a lot quicker than anything else. Although, if I drank enough of anything I would end up in the Mr Hyde stage.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Is this a trick question?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I had an abusive love affair with wine, so that would be the focus of my obsession. Alcohol is alcohol, yes. By the end of it I just wanted to be intoxicated.

I knew I needed help when one night I drank a full bottle of wine, woke up with a terrible hangover and the next afternoon had 3 margaritas (with tequila and like juice, no mix) and a beer and wanted wine when I got home. I think I quit just a couple of days later.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would get my fill of vodka for a year and say I couldn't drink it anymore. I cycled through every kind of liquor you can imagine like that, and they all ended back in the rotation.

At the end, I was pouring myself pint glasses of half Jameson, half white wine. And I sat with my glass and the bottle of Jameson and the bottle of white wine so my glass never got empty and so I could play with the proportions for the extra flavor combinations. I would also take alternate sips of the straight Jamo and then straight white wine for a hit of pure flavor from each.

Cos I was real fancy and discerning like that, ha!

No wonder my life absolutely friggin sucked.

Posting this just killed cravings I had all day. I just grossed myself out and for that, I'm thankful.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Melina!
half Jameson, half white wine. And I sat with my glass and the bottle of Jameson and the bottle of white wine so my glass never got empty and so I could play with the proportions for the extra flavor combinations. I would also take alternate sips of the straight Jamo and then straight white wine for a hit of pure flavor from each.
I just loved this! It's such a great example of alcoholic insanity.

My killer was wine; I really couldn't get enough of it. Cider or beer, I can have 2 and leave it alone. But it starts the craving and within a day or so I'm at the wine like I'm never going to get the chance to drink anything ever again.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

An old friend has been telling people "Good News! I don't drink wine anymore, just beer!" I know he doesn't think about how rude it is to tell that to someone who saved their own life by quitting beer.

I have met a few men who seem to get violent every time they drink whiskey. Tequila gets a bad rep but I think Public Enemy #1 of the boozy world has got to be Vodka. That discreet little plastic bottle can really mess up a person. I never seem to see it coming.

It's all poison and I can't drink any of it because I'm an alcoholic and all of it really messes me up.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I drank what tasted good to me. I never found one or another type of booze to affect me different or give me a worse hangover etc, but I don't like beer or certain types of hard liquor so I didn't drink them for that reason alone.

My BF says he could never drink hard liquor that it made his stomach hurt and gave him a head ache the next day. I know a lot of people react to sulfates in wine and it makes them feel lousy in a way other types of booze wouldn't.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I do think I felt different when drinking white versus red wine but it could be in my head. Two glasses of red wine would make me feel relaxed and calm and OK but two glasses of white would make me feel a buzz and more towards "Drunk" and sometimes agitated. I don't know. I never drank liquor much but wasn't afraid of it.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself ,But I can drink a couple of light beers and be just fine .

But get the whiskey out ,and we have a problem ,Don't know if I could drink it now ,Im not going to try .
Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a really odd thing to say on a recovery site Karate.

I'm genuinely curious because it's not the first time you've stated this - if you're 'fine' with beer, then why are you here?

D
Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That's a really odd thing to say on a recovery site Karate.

I'm genuinely curious because it's not the first time you've stated this - if you're 'fine' with beer, then why are you here?

D

Im trying to find myself so to speak ,on a quest to see if im an alcoholic or not .

As crazy as this sounds I sure used to be an alcoholic .
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Im trying to find myself so to speak ,on a quest to see if im an alcoholic or not .

As crazy as this sounds I sure used to be an alcoholic .
I am sooooo confoused
Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
I am sooooo confoused

Actually my youngest boy and myself are doing an imformal study on ourselves .

We have both got in trouble drinking ,but don't now ,We think we have cracked the case ,so to speak .

We don't claim to be the smartest fellows that ever lived ,But youngest boy is in honors classes ,I was as well ,And just passed an exam that 10% of the people that begin the process are able to pass .

So to qualify our findings we are of at least average IQ ,and have alcoholic genes .
Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Actually my youngest boy and myself are doing an imformal study on ourselves .

We have both got in trouble drinking ,but don't now ,We think we have cracked the case ,so to speak .

We don't claim to be the smartest fellows that ever lived ,But youngest boy is in honors classes ,I was as well ,And just passed an exam that 10% of the people that begin the process are able to pass .

So to qualify our findings we are of at least average IQ ,and have alcoholic genes .
It doesn't matter how smart you think you are. When it comes to alcoholism, there is no way to "crack the case." It is always a progressive disease.

Why kid yourselves?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You're an alcoholic. Quest over.

So am I. It sucks, but it's life.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You could be a certifiable genius and still be an alcoholic that has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm starting to think this site is a game for you Karate. On another thread you mentioned drinking 12 beers a day, now you are saying you can moderate your drinking when only drinking beer. 12 beers a day is not moderation but full blown alcoholism. There are people in here serious about trying to quit and not playing games. Drinking is drinking for an alcoholic!!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
I'm starting to think this site is a game for you Karate. On another thread you mentioned drinking 12 beers a day, now you are saying you can moderate your drinking when only drinking beer. 12 beers a day is not moderation but full blown alcoholism. There are people in here serious about trying to quit and not playing games. Drinking is drinking for an alcoholic!!
Used to drink 12 beers a day ,those days are way in the past ,If my posts are offensive to people here ,Ill just read and not post .

Im trying to develop an understanding of alcohol abuse .

I cant explain how I did what I did ,or how I did it .

I do know once I cleared and addressed the other issues in my life ,the excessive alcohol intake was removed as well .
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to be a downer here and please continue your studies of alcoholism if that is what you must do, but I believe if you even consider the fact you might have a problem with addiction of any kind then you sure as **** DO. I'm just saying. At the end of my drinking career I would even swig mouthwash or nasty cooking sherry. If you've gotta ask then there's no question.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
I'm sorry to be a downer here and please continue your studies of alcoholism if that is what you must do, but I believe if you even consider the fact you might have a problem with addiction of any kind then you sure as **** DO. I'm just saying. At the end of my drinking career I would even swig mouthwash or nasty cooking sherry. If you've gotta ask then there's no question.
Lmaooo! I LOVE the frankness of this post! Agreed! On. All. Counts.