Notices

Phone Call

Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Phone Call

Just got the phone call, cousin died. Late 50's, very bad alcoholic. Just saw him 2 months ago at another family members funeral. Died in bed with bottles on nightstand. Another funeral to go to.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My condolences SquareOne to you and his family and friends. Yesterday was the Memorial for a young girl who went out, she overdosed. The first month I was sober, my old neighbor, a young woman in her late 30's died from alcoholism. I was finally seeking help, and my friend, who we'd see every weekend to "PARTY" is gone for forever. I believe that's a God Shot....I'm on the right path. Shoot, this disease is out to kill us....and I and my friend called it partying.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My wake up call this morning was about my last good friend, a fellow alcoholic and heroin addict, tying a rope around his next and kicking the bucket.

God bless us all. May we somehow leverage these traumas into fuel for sobriety.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What I heard was that he didn't answer the phone for about 10 days, (he lived alone) someone went up to his house and his cars were there but no answer at the door. They called police who broke in and found him in bed, TV's still going. Have no idea how long he was dead.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Back, I am sorry for your loss.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a tragedy, I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks for posting. It was very helpful for me to read.

Take good care of yourself.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sad loss. I think we as alcoholics are committing slow suicide. For me it didn't start out that way. But as it became increasingly worse I just didn't care anymore. We drink enough to die from this. Its the reality of this insidious disease. Reading about your cousin has strengthened my resolve to stay sober. He didn't die in vain, hes helping us all. God bless.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
I think we as alcoholics are committing slow suicide. .
This statement was something I told myself so many times during my last years of drinking. I am not very religious but I do believe suicide is a sin and if you are doing something that you know is killing you, isn't that a sin?

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
For me it didn't start out that way. But as it became increasingly worse I just didn't care anymore.
I can also identify with this statement. My health was really suffering the last several years of my drinking but if was as if I didn't care. I told myself I had to die from something and being a drinker was my identity so I can't stop.

I went as far as saying that I was meant to drink - do to the fact I met my wife in a bar. So if I didn't drink I would not have been in that bar and my daughter would never have been born - and everything happens for a reason.

An alcoholic always searches for justification to keep drinking.