Notices

Restless

Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless

I haven't drank in close to 46 days and I quit smoking 7 days ago. I'm using the nicotine patch and it's helping but I've started to get restless. It's amazing how taking away another crutch can affect my mood so much, even with a nicotine replacement. I felt like I couldn't sit still yesterday.

When I would think about alcohol, I would smoke a cigarette. When I felt restless in the past, I would make a drink. I feel like the withdrawals are magnified.

So I dragged my @-- to the gym yesterday in an attempt to wear myself out and it helped a lot. I'm going back to the gym today too, will try to get into a routine on my days off. I just feel like I can't sit still, like I'm going to jump out of my skin.

I'm tired of having an unhealthy vice to cope with life.

I can't wait for this feeling to go away. Being irritable makes me even more irritable. Does that make sense?

It hasn't been the best weekend but I'm fighting through all of this. During the week it hasn't been as bad since I'm at work and distracted. Someone mentioned a while back that when you quit smoking, it makes you think about alcohol. Maybe because my body isn't used to having NOTHING to rely on as a vice...something that I haven't had to deal with.

Anyway, hopefully today will be better. I downloaded some new high energy music to work out to. Going to the gym now, and am trying really hard to get over this crummy feeling/mood. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Blackoutgirl, congratulations on your 1.5 months!

Just ride out the feelings of restlessness and whatever -- it can take a long time for your body to settle down, and even longer for your mind to learn sober rhythms. Things may sometimes feel haywire for a while. It will pass, and you'll feel better and better!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on quitting your negative vices.

I know that feeling of restlessness. But I try to assure myself that it is just a passing feeling, I won't feel like this forever, and I should just continue on with my day and try not to focus on feelings.

Today I am 70 days sober and it is my first day off Zoloft. I started Zoloft on my 3rd day of sobriety so technically this is really my first day of not being controlled by a mind altering substance.

We all have to hang in there!!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh boy do I remember this feeling...and I only quit booze, was too afraid to quit smoking at the same time. I have cut down dramatically on smoking and plan to completely kick it next birthday (2 months) but I definitely used it as a crutch when I wanted a drink early on. I think it might have actually made it worse because I really only enjoyed smoking when I was drinking but...whatever. You are very strong to do both at the same time.

I did the same thing...just tried to tire myself out. Gym, yoga, walking, huge cleaning or gardening projects, big cooking experiments that occupied most of my mind AND my hands at the same time.

Funny thing is the restlessness finally let up around four months in and now I love a day off to do absolutely nothing. Before that would have terrified the crap out of me but now that my mind is used to not drinking as a crutch, it's pretty nice to have a boring day these days. Still smoke occasionally though

Thanks for the thread, BOGirl. Always find your posts wise, witty and full of good things to think about. This one is no exception.

Congrats on your month and a half sober. That's awesome!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm dealing with the same issue Blackout. Was sober for about 50 days and then quit smoking. My mood for the first three days without the cigs was as expected, but after that I was just restless, felt like something was missing, couldn't concentrate, couldn't get any work done. I had no desire to drink, but I was still a mess.

And then I broke down and bought a pack of cigs. I don't recommend this, but I needed to concentrate on not drinking. And I needed to stop feeling like I was going to jump out of skin. So for now I'm going to work on cutting down my cigarettes (normally, I smoke 10-12 per day).

So for me it's one vice at a time, and right now, not drinking is the priority.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I used to experience was an odd combo of things. It would manifest with racing or just over active thoughts, a felling like something was wrong, not quite impending doom but a milder version of that.

If the TV was on I had no idea what the show was about, (thoughts to all over the place to concentrate). Sitting still was just too uncomfortable, felt a need to pace around if nothing else. It was almost like a mild version of alcohol withdrawal, I still experienced these times many years after quitting alcohol.

I could often feel this in the pit of my stomach, hard to explain but very real. It was a very uncomfortable feeling to say the least. The best cure I found was exercise bike, treadmill, lifting weights for a while or whatever if outside activity was impractical. Just curious did anyone else experience the weird feeling in the pit of your stomach thing?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi blackoutgirl, Good job! Sounds like a good plan.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 46 days! I was very drunk on Sunday and haven't had a drink since. This morning I decided to quit chewing, too. I am a little restless but I feel really good. I've been keeping myself busy doing the things I need to be doing. I worked out yesterday morning and this morning for the first times in a long time. I'm so excited because it just feels REAL this time. That I really am done. And its awesome.