Notices

So I went to an AA convention..

Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I went to an AA convention..

I have only been sober six weeks but one of my new friends in AA asked me if I would like to go to a convention just over the border in Scotland last night. Game for anything I said yes and offered to drive. AA is big in Scotland - as is alcohol; abuse.

It was the last night of three. There were about 2000 people in the auditorium, a big sign over the stage saying 'You are not alone' and a buzz quite unlike anything I have come across before.

The format was surprisingly similar to an ordinary meeting, except it began with half an hour of bagpipe music (an acquired taste!) and before the three shares the chair went asked the audience to shout out if they were one year sober, then two, three and so on..right up to 50 (there was one guy!). Peopel cheered at every milestone and oddly, I found this the most moving part of the evening.

The meeting was inspirational I must say. So many people who had overcome addiction in one place. It left me feeling very positive indeed, if slightly as if I was watching the inner workings of a something of a cult.

Still I 'take what I want' as they say, and it seems to be working! Worth going at least once if you get the chance.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

I love conventions.Pleased you enjoyed it.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks for this Mentium. I've never been to a convention but would love to, so it's interesting to hear what they're like here in the UK.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ooh! I'm so jealous...just over the border to Scotland..would love to see Scotland (actually all of the UK). I can over the border to Illinois (no offense to anyone in Illnois) but I would just see more cornfields until I got to Chicago. But seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure 2000 gratefully recovering alcoholics would be quite an inspiration!!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my 10 months of Sobriety ( in AA) I have only been to one small convention. But, I, too found it so motivating, moving, just a-tingle with positive energy! I loved that you shared your experience here on SR. Cult? Well that's debatable. But, not for this forum or site
:-D.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, that is amazing that you were able to attend that.

Sounds a lot like Founders Day here in Akron, Ohio. It was amazing. The last day they have what is referred to as the Big Meeting. It is held in the Akron U football stadium.

10,000 people! They started with a year and then went down to 24 hours. The 24 hour people got a BB. Then they reversed it and went up and up and up.

I was two months sober at the time and it something I will never forget. I agree it was inspirational.

I worked registration the second day and I felt such gratitude to be there. I met so many people. It definitely was something that made a huge difference in my sobriety. I can't wait until next year.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh cult shmult!

AA has helped millions of people. There are so many great things about this organization,
And yet it gets a bad rap for being a "cult". I know we're not supposed to debate these programs. I'm not a toe the line AA member either. All I know is that when I had nowhere else to turn, and no one to turn to, these people opened their arms to me, and for that, I will be eternally grateful.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Oh cult shmult!

AA has helped millions of people. There are so many great things about this organization,
And yet it gets a bad rap for being a "cult". I know we're not supposed to debate these programs. I'm not a toe the line AA member either. All I know is that when I had nowhere else to turn, and no one to turn to, these people opened their arms to me, and for that, I will be eternally grateful.
No argument there. It is keeping me sober for the first time in literally decades. I'm really not bashing AA, but nor do I take it all, hook line and sinker.