Notices

Hit Me With Your Best Shot (pun un-intended)

Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hit Me With Your Best Shot (pun un-intended)

As a newly realized alcoholic and beginner on the road to recovery, I was wondering: what is your go-to habit, tactic, phrase, thought, etc. when a beer just sounds sooooo good. So far, just the shame I know I would feel has sufficed, but I know I'm gonna need more than that. The more creative, the better!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just remembering how bad things get when I drink. Hang overs, family issues etc. The thought of how I used to behave is enough to curb any romancing I do.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

My go-to habit is yoga...lots of it.....and my go-to phrase is " Nothing ever changes if nothing ever changes."
Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If i can, I go for a walk/jog. It gets me outside and clears my head and reduces stress. It also gives a nice natural high.

If I can't, I come on here or I play the tape out of how it will end up tomorrow if I were to drink.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

when a beer just sounds sooooo good.

i just kinda go "yeah RIGHT!!! like i ever wanted a beer!!!hahaHA"

works for me, since i always knew i wanted more. if only one was around, i'd not touch it as having just one would have been worse than having none.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

One thing that seems to work for me is to tell myself "not today".

Or, I'll think the whole thing through to the ugly ending.

Praying and asking for help to stay sober also works for me. When I first started doing that, I had no real concept of what I was praying to, and it didn't really matter, I just did it anyway.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I say to myself or outloud, "I am an alcoholic," til I feel centered again.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't craved yet, but I do very often think back to when I was drinking...felt the shame and sickness, and then shiver. I think if I can do that when I finally do have a craving, I should be ok.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I say the serenity prayer. It just grounds me.
I also imagine having to tell my sponsor I slipped, plus everyone else.
I imagine the misery of withdrawal, and that it will only be worse if I have to go thorough it again.
I imagine the misery of being an active alcoholic.
I remind myself how much I love being sober.
If all else fails, I just tell my alcoholic self "no." the craving eventually passes.
And, Katie, it does get easier!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think about an urge like a contraction. It starts, peaks, goes away. I have to sit in it and deal with the discomfort. Then it's gone. I post on here. Eat ice cream. Take a hot bath. Sleep. Exercise. Play with dog or kid. Anything I can to move in the other direction.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see those cravings as a temporary nuisance that will go away soon if I just breathe and chill out, if u pay attention you can time it, and be like oh that one lasted 15 minutes. Apparently this is called urge surfing I believe. Helped me a lot at first. As you get more sober time under your belt you will notice they are shorter and less frequent
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Along with that I picture myself dry heaving into a toilet, saying horrible things I don't mean to people I love, staring at myself hungover in the mirror the next day in complete shame
Old 10-04-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Interesting thread...... I tried every one of the tips above except yoga and was able to drink again, in copious amounts, within a short amount of time.

The only thing that worked for me was coming to grips with the reality that I simply did not have the ability to out-think my next drink. It became apparent to me that I would not be able to keep myself sober for the rest of my life and never miss a beat.

From that point, it was pretty obvious that my only chance was a complete and total change of my entire personality.....again, something I wouldn't be able to pull off on my own.

The only option I had from there was to get active in AA because that was the only program I was and am aware of that guaranteed I'd get a "complete psychic change."

I didn't want to be the same person I was only sober......I wanted to be the person I, deep down, always knew I should and could be. Not drinking was a start but that was JUST the start of recovery. Recovery, to me, is about a whooooole lot more than just "I don't drink."
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was given a nice Mt. Bike from my stepfather and now I cant stay off the thing in my spare time. Just put on my headphones and ride for miles upon miles now (took about a month to get into good riding shape).

I also take my 60 day chip with me wherever I go and I will do the same with my 90 day chip I get next week and so forth on every anniversary chip I receive because deep down inside I know this is my last chance at this.

I have 2 choices
1. Sobriety
2. Death/Incarceration

I choose the easier, softer way today.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just about every time it's happened I take a bath - lots of bubbles, an uplifting smelly candle and I bought some extra special bath gels and moisturisers, that I only use when the craving has passed not my everyday shower gels, and so far it always has just ebbed away and the added bonus is my skin is so much better as well.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i watch 'rain in my heart' on u tube then get to a meeting.
Good luck.
Smile, sober weekend.
Gx
Old 10-05-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

The only thing that worked for me was coming to grips with the reality that I simply did not have the ability to out-think my next drink.
Me too! That's what alcoholism is.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I remind myself that without a doubt I would be back to where I was 6 weeks ago feeling like the sheerest hell and facing the prospect of a week or more of withdrawal and the horribleness of that and all that goes with it.

Or face a decent into a worse nightmare, health issues and probably the grave.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think about how bad the withdrawals were and the direction my life was heading in. I never want to be there again and that helps me stay sober. The withdrawals were really getting bad, I was worried every second I was awake about withdrawals kicking in and within a few hours of being awake they always did. Alcohol completely took over and when I think about it, it makes me wanna stay sober.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

"I think I will try staying stopped just today, maybe tomorrow I will entertain you and drink"

tomorrow always became today again, so I would say it the next day, too.

Over 2 years now and moving forward in sobriety! Glad I stayed stopped.