Notices

"Nah, I'm an alcoholic"

Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Nah, I'm an alcoholic"

With the perennial question about how to reply to drink offers, has anyone ever just said that? If so how'd that go?

Just hit eight months. Maybe I've become too accepting of things.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I might not say that. But you could say, no I'm sober. 8 months. How impressive!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just say, no thanks.

If more is needed: I do not want to drink to night or I do no drink.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just politely decline and if more is needed to be said I say that I exceeded my quota already so I don't drink anymore.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by upandup View Post
With the perennial question about how to reply to drink offers, has anyone ever just said that? If so how'd that go?

Just hit eight months. Maybe I've become too accepting of things.
Lol !! Nothing better than the truth. In reality, why would it bother anyone ?

Love it.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never said it, but, before I stopped drinking, I've had other people say that to me when I offered them a drink.

Didn't faze me at all, though it made me curious, nor did it make me think any less of them.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily respond that way to HR or your boss.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea, throwing it in someone's lap might be a little indelicate; I've been known to be socially tone deaf.

I recall from the tv show sex and the city where one character orders a drink for another, and he said No, I'm in AA. She bolted. Just wondering if anyone had any real life experience to share.

On the other hand, there's a woman in my community who is very open about her alcoholism (soberville for a decade or so). A wife of an alcoholic was able to turn to her when her partner relapsed, precisely because she was open about it and was "the only person who could understand."

Since that's a bell that can't be unrung I haven't been as open about it, but who knows? Maybe someday.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

ya know Upandup, I think more of us should have the courage to say that. The reason being that perhaps it could help to take the stigma out of the word ‘alcoholic’.

Perhaps if we, who have suffered so much with alcoholism, became willing to be open about the problem, it might help someone to admit that they have a problem and seek help for themselves a bit sooner.

I have told people that I have an allergy to alcohol. From time to time someone has asked me what happens when I drink. I tell them that it just doesn’t agree with me. If they continue to press me for specifics I tell them I break out in hand cuffs.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

I plan on saying "are you crazy? i'm a raging alchohoic" in a joking but not exactly joking way next time I"m asked if i want a drink. THen I'll give the person the crazy look in my eye and really get them wondering. This will entertain me I'm just waiting for the golden opportunity to pull this one.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've never really felt like it was shameful to be a recovering alcoholic. You quit drinking, what's shameful about that? It's a lot less shameful than embarrassing yourself in public, getting dui's, getting fired, etc.

I know some people may think it's wierd or respond funny about it, but they are jackasses and who needs em anyway. They probably have their own alcohol issues.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Lol !! Nothing better than the truth. In reality, why would it bother anyone ?

Love it.
Agreed! The less of a big deal I make it, the more comfortable I am, the more comfortable others may be. We talk about the stigma and shame associated with alcoholism; I wonder if we show that we are also gainfully employed, responsible, tax paying, minivan driving people, that just happen to be alcoholics too.

I write that in fear of sounding flippant, I don't intend to be. The very real fear and possibility of relapse is ever present. This ain't no dragon to be slain, for me it's, I don't know, something to address on a daily basis, like brushing my teeth. If I neglect it for too long I'm going to have problems.

Maybe I was in denial so long, now that I'm not any more it's just a part of who I am, like my eye color. Not really controversial.

Originally Posted by AllieB View Post
I've never said it, but, before I stopped drinking, I've had other people say that to me when I offered them a drink.

Didn't faze me at all, though it made me curious, nor did it make me think any less of them.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily respond that way to HR or your boss.
That happened to me before too, same sort of reaction. The one guy regaled people with stories of his drinking days, which I found odd at the time.

And lol! Hello, HR? Say, gotta tell ya... Remember that time I puked all over the client from Japan? Yea, that wasn't bad sushi...
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I guess it really depends on who the person is offering me the drink.

Most of the people I know have always known me as a hard drinking guy who does everything in excess. So it is only normal for them to question my change.

I have been using excuses like I am on medication and my doctor says I shouldn't drink or I am on a diet.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
I've never really felt like it was shameful to be a recovering alcoholic. You quit drinking, what's shameful about that? It's a lot less shameful than embarrassing yourself in public, getting dui's, getting fired, etc.

I know some people may think it's wierd or respond funny about it, but they are jackasses and who needs em anyway. They probably have their own alcohol issues.
Yep, on both accounts. Except I was a shame-based life form long before ever picking up my first drink. It's only been very recently that I've been able to organize that jumbled up set of drawers.

And yea, I was going to put into the previous reply people that mind don't matter, they probably have their own fear of could it happen to me? Is it contagious? Ease up there cowboy/girl, only you can say if you're the clown in this rodeo.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I plan on saying "are you crazy? i'm a raging alchohoic" in a joking but not exactly joking way next time I"m asked if i want a drink. THen I'll give the person the crazy look in my eye and really get them wondering. This will entertain me I'm just waiting for the golden opportunity to pull this one.

^LOL. This would entertain me too.

I joked to my hubby this morning (because he just doesn't drink hardly ever) that people at his work probably think he's the one with alcohol issues because he is going out tonight for "beers" after work with his boss and crew and he always just orders soda. He kinda chuckled and said "I truly don't give a **** what they think." I suppose that's the right attitude, no matter what reason people have for not drinking
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Ha! Brilliant!!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doniker View Post
Most of the people I know have always known me as a hard drinking guy who does everything in excess. So it is only normal for them to question my change.
Right on. Same here. So I'm just saying for now that I don't need to drink every time.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

8 months, awesome! I'm on it too, or is it 9 now? Feb 6 so whatever that adds up to.

Anyways I wear my sobriety like a badge of honor. I own it. It's mine. I did it and I'm freaking proud of it. So if someone asks me if I want a beer, and it's happened quite a few times since Feb 6, I say "nah." And if they press, which has only happened like twice, I tell them I don't drink. And if they ask why, which happened once, I tell them I'm an alcoholic. And when I said this I said it with a tone of pride. Not that I'm proud I am one but that I know I am one and I know that I can't drink and I'm not ashamed if people know. I don't go around proclaiming it or getting in other business if I feel they drink too much. I just don't feel the need to hide it when asked. I don't think it helps my sobriety to keep it under wraps. I am not ashamed that I drank for 20 years and hit a rock bottom and pulled myself out of it and became a better person because of it. HECK NO! I'm proud that I did it and if someone wants to hear me talk about it I'll be more than happy to tell them. To me it feels that being open about it galvanizes my decision to put the bottle away. It opens my windows so others can see inside and show I have nothing to hide. And I know many others out there who could use a good quitting and for me to show that sobriety isn't an end game makes me feel like an ambassador to the clean life.

Oh, and the response I got from when I told this fellow I can't drink due to my alcoholism? He said "right on, man."

(p.s. When I say I'm not ashamed I drank for 20 years I mean I'm not ashamed I was able to shelve my 20 year drinking career. I am definitely not proud I drank for 20 years.)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
ya know Upandup, I think more of us should have the courage to say that. The reason being that perhaps it could help to take the stigma out of the word ‘alcoholic’.

Perhaps if we, who have suffered so much with alcoholism, became willing to be open about the problem, it might help someone to admit that they have a problem and seek help for themselves a bit sooner.

I have told people that I have an allergy to alcohol. From time to time someone has asked me what happens when I drink. I tell them that it just doesn’t agree with me. If they continue to press me for specifics I tell them I break out in hand cuffs.
The courage to be a living example opposite of the stigma. I may have it, but one of the reasons I don't advertise it is because although I'm not Drunken McCrazypants now, I did my share of damage when I was actively drinking. Lots of people have been hurt, oftentimes profoundly so, by alcoholics.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It's a personal call whether one chooses to self identify as an alcoholic. Look up the definition of the word - it is someone who is dependent on or addicted to alcohol. I am not now, nor ever will be dependent or addicted to the stuff. In fact, I never touch the stuff. I never understood how this addiction would explain abstinence. The opposite makes more sense to me - 'he drinks all the time because he is an alcoholic'.

When offered a drink, I will say, no thanks, or I'll have a ginger ale if you have one, or I don't drink. One of those has always sufficed.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

To elaborate on my earlier post - I was always known as a heavy drinker that was always ready to tie one on.

Today I am 68 days sober and last weekend was my 50th birthday. So many people couldn't understand how I couldn't have a drink to celebrate the milestone.

also, I have a wedding to attend next month and I am sure people are going to try to push me to drink. I hate the lines "it's a wedding, have a drink" "come on, one drink won't hurt, loosen up" etc.

It's as if I am a wimp if I don't partake. On top of that my wife will get wasted and I have to drive her and her alcoholic friend to and from the wedding so I have a long night of listening to drunken babble in my future.