Notices

Recovery - phase 2?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery - phase 2?

I have been lucky up until now. At almost six weeks I have had few (and mild) cravings, high motivation and for the most part after the first week and a bit, I have been feeling more or less physically OK.

Yesterday though at five and a half weeks sober I suddenly found myself in a slightly different place - and it has carried on into today, though not quite as acutely.

Basically I seem to have a mind which refuses to be still..or slow down at all - it races away with itself, some mild to severe anxiety and a lot of 'worry'..worry about almost anything.

I am not tempted to drink, though a drink would calm me down no doubt. The price would not be worth it..and we all know why - not even going there.

Seems to me that perhaps there is a period after the initial withdrawals and cravings and the quitting period where a new phase begins. There must be a lot of physical, brain chemistry and such adjustment still going on, but at the same time something like normal life is there too. It isn't easy! ..though it is a lot better than being actively alcoholic I will add!

Anyone found anything like this in their own journey?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have experiences similar to that. I've been sober about 18 months, and I think I am realizing that not everything was/is related to my alcoholism.

Like you, I know drinking isn't the solution and would only cause more trouble, but there are still the very real and challenging issues to deal with. But I think realizing they are separate from alcoholism allows me to address them more realistically and purposefully. Because I am not assuming that it's just a matter of time before they go away, that they are not just withdrawal issues. Nor are they a sign of lousy recovery.

They are just life and just need to be addressed that way.

Some people do seem to have these things go away after a certain amount of sober time. That's awesome. But not all my issues are booze related.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here's a thoughts thread from last month. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...d-thought.html