Notices

kind of a silly question

Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting that power back.

kind of a silly question

Am I the only one who suffered from a drinking puffy face? I have read about why the face can swell if you drink a lot and mine certainly did. For anyone else who had this fun affliction, here is my question: how long did it take to go back to normal after you stop drinking?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ohh I got the puffed face really bad, my eyes looked swollen, my cheeks, ugh It didn't look good. When I first tried to stop drinking I went a month and within a week to 10 days my cheeks bones started to show again, face went back to normal. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean but never really experienced that. Definitely experienced uneven skin tone and dryer skin which was improved some.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by realizingtruth View Post
Am I the only one who suffered from a drinking puffy face? I have read about why the face can swell if you drink a lot and mine certainly did. For anyone else who had this fun affliction, here is my question: how long did it take to go back to normal after you stop drinking?
Yes, I enjoyed this affliction too! I think it took about a month to go completely
Old 10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Funny you posted this today.

I am 67 days sober today and I looked in a mirror and was thinking how much healthier and better my skin looks.

I sometimes look at pictures of myself over the last several years and I was a bloated mess.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
You should see my rehab picture. I looked like a chipmunk. It went away after about a month.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi realizing, I splashed icewater on my face before covering up my puffy eyes with makeup. The puffiness went away after a couple months. I also had red splotches which were alcohol poisoning. These went away too. My favorite part was when the red, broken veins went away on my nose. About 6 months for it. I was so happy because I didn't know if they would repair. Also my pores got much smaller. Very best to you.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I looked like Ted Kennedy in my rehab photo...
(the worst part is that I'm from Boston so sounded like him too!)

It definitely gets better. I use too much salt, I literally crave it. I found out recently that a lot of times this can indicate adrenal overload.

When I don't get enough sleep I puff up a bit too....just rounds out the experience, a sleepy marshmallow.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh lord, I just realized Ted Kennedy is no longer with us, I didn't mean to be disrespectful.

I will edit that, I keep coming up with people like Winston Churchill, Richard Nixon...I am getting myself in more trouble.

Ok, I looked like John Daly in my rehab photo avec Golden Girl Mumu that I purchased for the sojourn as I was under the impression that the rest of the peeps would be down on their luck. Not so, apparently some people attend annually as a sort of sober spa event. I thought I would be making dried flower arrangements and glueing candy corn onto styrofoam. Nope. I was in agony with my wardrobe choices. And the fact that there are no razors or tweezers or toenail clippers allowed added another level to my already heightened attractiveness. Of course that extra layer of fur would have been appreciated if I had gone to rehab in Vermont in January. But alas, I was in Arizona in June and July. Temp 114 degrees. Hairy, puffy, sweaty. But sober!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What's up with my association of puffy with figures in government. I love identifying myself in meetings: alcoholic, addict, ACOC, chronic pain, PTSD, chronic sleep, ADHD (shocker I know), and now non-specific attachment of puffiness to governmental authority figures. By the time I am done with my titles, we are saying the serenity prayer.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, I've got the puffy face. It's funny, I never noticed it in the mirror, but I see it in pictures. Its a great look, along with my nice gut.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, I had it along with a red blotchy face as well.

My face is no longer puffy or as red as it was but it is still blotchy but I think that is my complexion. I think I have rosacea. I really need to get to a dermatologist.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
What's up with my association of puffy with figures in government. I love identifying myself in meetings: alcoholic, addict, ACOC, chronic pain, PTSD, chronic sleep, ADHD (shocker I know), and now non-specific attachment of puffiness to governmental authority figures. By the time I am done with my titles, we are saying the serenity prayer.
Lol!

I was more tired looking. At about 2 months sober I started to get asked what I was doing because I looked younger. And new people in AA thought I was in my 20s (I'm 37).
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
getting that power back.

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I can't stop laughing! HA! Thanks, guys. It's looking better, I just get so mad when I see pictures of myself from a few years ago and I look like a different person. It keeps me mad at the disease though, so that's a good thing.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

GracieLou - I think I have a mild rosacea too. Drinking regularly made it worse I believe, but looking back at photos I can tell that it started while I was pregnant with my son, years before I started drinking regularly. I almost think it's hormonal too kinda and never really got better. Drinking doesn't help it though.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by realizingtruth View Post
Your not the only one. My face was always puffy and red too. Even when not drunk. I hated this about myself and look forward to it subsiding. Being blonde hair blue eyed European dissent doesn't help either. But not drinking has helped considerably.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susan2984 View Post
GracieLou - I think I have a mild rosacea too. Drinking regularly made it worse I believe, but looking back at photos I can tell that it started while I was pregnant with my son, years before I started drinking regularly. I almost think it's hormonal too kinda and never really got better. Drinking doesn't help it though.
No, it doesn't. I flush very easy. I hear ALL the time, "I see you have been in the sun" *sigh*

No, I have not been in the sun in the dead of February in Ohio!

My face was always beet red when I drank. It has calmed down a lot but I still flush pretty easy. The skin on my face is really sensitive too. I have not found a cream or lotion yet that does not make my face red, well at least one that is reasonably priced anyway.

I never wear makeup, which bums me out a little. No matter what I try it irritates my skin. I am kinda used to it now though. It makes getting ready a bit quicker..lol
Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Drinking puffy face problem mainly occurred with hard drinker, it will simply take a good sleep to get normal or 3-4 hours.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Puffy around the eyes, certainly. It went fairly quickly. My cheeks would go quite pink when I drank, and I accidentally found out that taking an anti-histamine beforehand would stop that. Not a hint on how to hide drinking!