Notices

Slightly OT: Lumiday - Natural Antidepressant

Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slightly OT: Lumiday - Natural Antidepressant

Anyone heard of it, taken it or know anyone who does? I just signed up for a 14 day free trial. It's OTC and available at GNC and has pretty good reviews. I really don't want to take prescription anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds because I don't want to be "numb" (took them before years ago). But now that I'm sober, I no longer have the wine to calm anxiety or quell depression, and I can't say I'm more anxious or depressed than ever, but definitely need "something" to help and want to try to go as natural as I can at this point. Anyone have any other supplements they use for anxiety or depression or any other natural remedies?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susan2984 View Post
Anyone have any other supplements they use for anxiety or depression or any other natural remedies?
Yes, my gym membership.

Yesterday I did 13 pull ups, 20 shoulder presses, 40 push ups, 100 sit ups and bicycled 10 miles. In my opinion, it is critical that you get moving. The sooner the better. We must never forget that isolation, leads to depression. Thus, if I were you, and I say this with love, I would think long and hard before trading one substance for another. Especially one that makes you lethargic. Remember, the ultimate goal of sobriety is putting nothing more in your body other than what is essential, which is food and water.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

review from Amazon....

Now, at $60.00 per bottle, there is a cheaper way. I went to Vitacost and looked up HTP-5, L-Theanine, St. John's Wort, Rhodiola Rosea, and Ashwagna as individual supplements. I also looked up a B-Vitamin Complex and Vitamin D3, and as a one month supply = $ 19.40. So, if you purchase these ingredients on your own, you can have this effective supplement blend for 1/3 the price !
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have not tried Luniday but I do take one Luminite each night to aid in sleep. I works great for me!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea I saw there was a sister product for sleep. My sleep is getting increasingly better. Exercising more is a good idea too I agree. I have dealt with depression and anxiety issues on and off for years though, I don't really see it as "replacing one substance with another" to quit drinking but take a natural supplement for anxiety. Will see how the trial goes and go from there.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Yes, my gym membership.

Yesterday I did 13 pull ups, 20 shoulder presses, 40 push ups, 100 sit ups and bicycled 10 miles. In my opinion, it is critical that you get moving. The sooner the better. We must never forget that isolation, leads to depression. Thus, if I were you, and I say this with love, I would think long and hard before trading one substance for another. Especially one that makes you lethargic. Remember, the ultimate goal of sobriety is putting nothing more in your body other than what is essential, which is food and water.

And when you see results -its great .

I could outlast 80% of the members of the boxing gym ,nearest in age was 36 -im 46
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Susan2984 View Post
I can't say I'm more anxious or depressed than ever, but definitely need "something" to help...
The rationale of a still addicted mind--needing something to help us feel better.

You are in early recovery. Anxiety and depression is to be expected. What you need is to stay sober, work your recovery, and that will address your anxiety and depression.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am trying to be very objective when discussing my anxiety. Just looking long term it's not like I started being anxious or depressed upon ditching my evening wine (or when starting to drink). Just that it used to calm my nerves, and years before that I dealt with anxiety attacks, and then was on anti-depressants (all before drinking) and hated the way they made me feel. I suppose I want to be the "best" me I can be at this point without anything holding me back or depending on anything, hence wanting to go a natural/supplement route if possible rather than getting back on antidepressants like I was 4 years ago
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it isn't a drug, doesn't have side effects, and can't be harmful. I have seen nutraceuticals cause full blown kidney and liver failure.

These products are not standardized or regulated. Talk to your health care provider if you feel you need treatment for your anxiety and or depression, you can request a herb or vitamin supplement, that way you can make sure it's safe for your body and health.

I agree with the exercise suggestion. Daily exercise and sunlight outperforms every antidepressant in every study comparing them that I have ever seen!!(doesn't mean that I actually do it!!)