Notices

Do you really like being in a blackout?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Seriously. I passed out in a bar in Cambodia one night and woke up in a hotel room in Thailand the next afternoon. Absolutely no (none!) recollection of how I got from Point A to Point B. Thank the Lord I had people traveling with me who took care of me but can you imagine if that had not been the case? And that wasn't the only time that happened.
Yes, that would be a little unnerving. A guy in meeting recently was talking about waking up in different US states and having no idea how he got there or why he was there. Thankfully, I always managed to stay in the city and state I started drinking in
Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm kinda surprised at the replies on this thread (being scared of them).

Blackouts just went with the territory for Me. I didn't like them, and I wasn't scared of them. It always happened. Nothing out of the blue.

Small small example; I hate flying.

Took a trip to Jamaica 2 years ago with some close friends. Agreed to meet them at the resort (they live back east).

I had 3 layovers/tranfers (whatever you call them) so I figured the best solution is to get blackout drunk. The Faster I drink the faster ill be in Jamaica.

Drank a bottle of Fireball before I even got on the first Plane.

It worked like a charm. My friend found me lying naked in my hotel bed.

Woke up, looked around, and laughed. I found it amusing!

I honestly have no idea how I gotten away with the things I've done while drinking. I blows my mind. I relied on getting blackout drunk at times.

My pancreas put an end to all of that craziness.

Thank you SR community btw,
its helped me sooo much.
drinking isn't a option for me anymore.
blackouts didn't touch me, Death got me looking though.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle714 View Post
The funny thing about blackouts is that most people assume that because they can't remember what happened that they were not conscious at the time. I think this is a fallacy.

You are aware of your actions during a blackout, you just can't remember them later. It is not like sleepwalking.

Does this make sense? I think it is a very misunderstood aspect of blackouts.....even the term is a little off....you aren't actually "in" a blackout, its just that later your memory of that time period is blacked out and you cannot recall it.
Your completely right. In a black out your complete aware of what your doing, but can't remember when you wake up. Some people think it's like sleep waking or something and that's not the case.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Blackouts never scared me. I would wake up and not remember part of the night and not really care. If I woke up in my bed uninjured I'd assume I just got really drunk and went to bed. I kinda found it funny when I'd wake up and there would be plates of food and beer cans I don't remember. It's not too funny looking back on it though.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
Blackouts never scared me. I would wake up and not remember part of the night and not really care. If I woke up in my bed uninjured I'd assume I just got really drunk and went to bed. I kinda found it funny when I'd wake up and there would be plates of food and beer cans I don't remember. It's not too funny looking back on it though.
exactly..specially bout the not caring part.

Injuries were always part of my morning routine inspection,

Also checking if I had my wallet,

Not as funny as it once was...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
exactly..specially bout the not caring part.

Injuries were always part of my morning routine inspection,

Also checking if I had my wallet,

Not as funny as it once was...
I think a lot of true alcoholics black out a lot, it's just how it goes when you just pound booze everyday.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Heck no ,I passed out in front of my shed ,boy found me in middle of night .
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
Yeah I wasn't exactly happy that I blacked out but it was never a big deal. More like I wish I remembered what happened, but oh well lets go get some breakfast then do that again
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

No. I always hated the guilt that came with not knowing what I said or did the night before. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Cruising over from the friends and family page.
January 2012 on vacation with my partner, staying in a groovy retro motel, like something out of "Starsky and "Hutch" We didn't acknowledge just how big his problem was then and it was just a fun long weekend.
We came back from the bar one night and he kept right on drinking, and yes, I had drank some too.
I was talking and talking at him, trying to solve all the worlds problems including ours.
He just kept saying "marry me, marry me, marry me" every time he opened his mouth. It was romantic, in a drunken kind of a way.
I know what I type next will sound like a bad sit com but the fact that this turned out to be a blackout night for him is something I will remember for ever as sad.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gravel View Post

I'm trying to see why a lot of us here like to go there and it's hard to come up with reasons.
I hated going there and I managed to find a way to avoid black outs. Didn't stop me drinking though, I just had to give up tequila and vodka.

The term blackout confused me for a long time though, I thought it meant you had passed out. So those nights where I can only remember the first couple of drinks, I thought they were normal, though a little freaky. I knew I had drank more because I would go back to my friends the next day and compare notes and see the empty vodka bottle. I truly didn't seem to give a sh;t at that point and would frequently find myself drunk with little memory of how and why I was where I was. I would always manage to get home though. But I forgot large sections of other parts of my life. I remember having family visiting and having no idea they would be there in the morning. Like I had also forgot stuff from before I got drunk. Very odd. This was all before I hit 20 though. It happened a few times at college, once really badly where I literally lost an entire day and from then on I switched to beer. I only blacked out on spirits. I don't think anyone likes it, it is just an unfortunate side effect of drinking, and there isn't much we let get in the way of that...
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno about anyone else but I never liked them Gravel.

Did you?

D
Getting there is fun but having one is pretty stupid because I'm not really there so to speak.

But I'm not scared of them because fortunately I don't get in my car when in one. I stay put for some reason.

My problem is my mouth runs off. I become a tough guy.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Blackouts were scary for me, but also got to be so commonplace that my family of origin (heavy drinkers) called them "wine amnesia", as if it were some acceptable, "normal" part of drinking.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I hated being told what I'd done. Sometimes fishing for details. Being thankful that my blackout personality didn't seem to be trouble prone. They were always, always punctuated by a terrible hangover. The only solution was to start drinking again, of course.