Notices

Drinking dream last night

Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dream last night

I have read extensively since then about the subconscious hold that addiction has on us. It wasn't too scary but I did have a few moments of shock until I realized it was nothing. Still bothered the hell out of me.

In the dream, my wife is away and I am home alone. The first thing I plan on doing is getting a case and guzzling. On a positive note, in the dream all my waking reservations about the dangers of drinking came into play. All the reasons why I shouldn't were going through my sleeping mind. The most bothersome part though was the feeling of discontent I had towards my subconscious conscience. The part that was talking me down gave me an ill feeling and it was this upsetting feeling that woke me up.

I was initially relieved that it was just a dream but some time later I felt uneasy that it had occurred.

I need to use this dream to remind my awake conscience that doing this for real would be a catastrophe. Being alone for a several day period of time is what still frightens me the most. It is a nightmare asleep and awake.

I feel strong though, I was alone all day with her working while I was off and even with the dream I had no desire to find beer.

It just kind of pissed me off and just glad to be past it.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Yeah Sudz posted. You are head of me on this learning curve so it's nice to get a heads up. That is a big fear for me also. Opportunity + access = relapse still in my mind. Even though I don't get many urges anymore I imagine that a situation like that would trigger me. Luckily my Hubby is a homebody so I would never have days. Days in a row would scare the crap out of me. I would probably schedule a doc appointment or something else to keep me honest.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Yeah Sudz posted. You are head of me on this learning curve so it's nice to get a heads up. That is a big fear for me also. Opportunity + access = relapse still in my mind. Even though I don't get many urges anymore I imagine that a situation like that would trigger me. Luckily my Hubby is a homebody so I would never have days. Days in a row would scare the crap out of me. I would probably schedule a doc appointment or something else to keep me honest.
I hear ya Silentrun, too much time on my hands is my biggest fear. It's a shame to realize we are our own worst enemy.

True spoken words to live by; The only thing we have to fear is fear itself...
Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

and ah don't forget some of us make a habit out of being here, so alone you ain't
Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been having nightmares about drinking. One was that I got drunk during the day at home and my daycare lady was dropping off our daughter and I was paranoid that she was going to be able to tell I was drunk and not let my daughter come home. I woke up thinking it really happened for a few moments. It will be a definite reminder of why I shouldn't drink.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
The most bothersome part though was the feeling of discontent I had towards my subconscious conscience. The part that was talking me down gave me an ill feeling and it was this upsetting feeling that woke me up.
Message received. Sounds like this is precisely the message your unconscious intended. Had you felt okay and not had an "ill feeling" about your "subconscious conscience," you would have had very different thoughts around the dream after awakening. And, if you'd taken the time comment on the dream, the warning signals you're sending to yourself may not have been part of your comments.

Great dream.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know many people this happens to. With me, I'm always drinking by mistake...picking up a coke and taking a big drink, and its beer or wine. I'm a vegetarian and have similar dreams about accidentally eating meat. I think it's pretty normal.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Question Re: Drunk Dreams

Absolutely. The mind has a way of playing tricks on us, especially when it comes to past behaviors. It's very good at two things: Self-preservation and contemplation. This could very well be an example of one, the other or both.

Drunk dreams usually indicate some sort of warning, for example: The consequences of not being totally honest, with ourselves or others, to even more complex situations, like, not following a certain program or a set of beliefs. It may cause us to feel impaired again like in past, who knows.

It does one thing, though: It not only reminds us about the awful consequences of drinking and how that lifestyle affected our judgment, but at the same time gives us a clear indication of our current state, as in our affairs or 'where we are situated'. It may even develop into something more explicit, like a warning or something.

For example: Maybe, we have a hard time discerning certain truths, or using proper judgment in areas of limited expertise. Or maybe worse, we have a sneaky ambition to turn back to our old ways. Nonetheless, a good support network and an honest 10th step should uncover our true motives, but then again, it's only my opinion. Onward...
Old 09-29-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also had a drinking nightmare last night, and I also woke up thinking it really happened for a minute. Amazing the feelings of panic and shame...how real they felt.

I know what triggered it. I went to pick up my child from a party last night and two of the other mothers were sharing a bottle of red wine when I arrived. Red wine was what I was all about for a decade. They offered me some, and although I didn't hesitate to say no or make a big deal about it, I spent the next 20 minutes really wanting that glass.

I guess my brain needed to remind me why that wasn't a good idea.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

You'll have those. Been there, done that.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Been sober for 23 days and have had drinking dreams in 8-12 of those nights. I'll get mad in my dream for drinking and wake up relieved.