Notices

"Drinking Buddies" Won't Leave Me Alone

Old 09-28-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

MsJax, that's awful

My neighbors and landlord are aware of the situation. I don't have any mutual friends, so there aren't many avenues for them to get info. My landlord informed me that he is installing security cameras (not because of me), so that is comforting. I don't think I'm in physical danger (never say never though), I am just annoyed at how childish this all is. Twice last week, I look out my window to see their cars idling outside. If they had something important to say, they should just mail me a letter, lol.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by Yankee73 View Post
I sat down with them a year ago to tell them that I have a problem with alcohol and had to listen to them argue that I was not an alcoholic. I was very clear with them that the friendships were over. We had nothing else in common except getting drunk together.

Sitting down with them again feels like a waste of time- they just don't "get it"
I just saw the perfect thing on face book for this: "Don't try to explain yourself to stupid people; you're not the jackass whisperer!"

BaHahaha!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have a "friend" that calls me like every 2 weeks to see how everything is going, but ultimately he just wants to ask if I'm drinking again. This was the main guy I used to drink with and now that I'm almost 4 months sober, I've began to realize how dark this friend really is and how bad his problem is with drinking.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Same thing happened

My "buddy" unfortunately shares an office with me. It's horrible, but my lease is almost up.

The only thing that makes these clowns go away is to ignore.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty crazy. They must be sick in the head.
Could you talk to them and just say that you are living a new life now and cannot be around alcohol and drinking and ask that they respectfully go their own way?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you have FB, don't post anything about yourself. Then "friends" can't pass on info to those who aren't your friends.

They sound really immature considering their age
Old 02-25-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The middle aged alcoholic is a tough one. First the amount of time probably measured in decades spent drinking and partying makes change that much tougher.

The alkie/addict here has disassociated himself from people that have stopped drinking & partying the way they all used to. There are people from his past 'party' days he has almost no contact and doesn't care. He considers anyone who questions his lifestyle & drinking judgemental.

Most of his friends are younger than himself now because they are the only ones that can keep up with him/his lifestyle. He uses steroids and other substances to keep going. The scary part is that since he is older he seems to get undeserved respect being the senior peer. He is a bad influence having no qualms asking them for favors wether it's things, money or their time/effort. Is it a coincidence that a buddy 10 years younger is getting a divorce after a few years of daily favors including rides and/or meeting him in a bar for that ride?

A child or teenager isn't the only one who can get in with the wrong crowd. Adults can and do. Long term relationships that come with age tend not to end quite as clean as a teen who has moved on, matured or grew out of their old life.

Big thing is stay safe. Good Luck
Old 02-25-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think you are doing a great job, Yankee.

I certainly hung out with a rag-tag band of misanthropes when I was drinking.

Although my presence in the group of drunks I called friends probably dragged down the quality of the group.

I am sorry these folks are stalking you.

I would protect myself at all times.

I would also do my best to ignore them.

I suspect they will tire of their silliness.