Notices

Girls

Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

sounds like you realize you have a problem but in your eyes its just not bad enough yet. Do you really want it to get bad enough? I got a wife and kids and no arrests or anything like that I have a lot of not yets. I didnt quit for my wife or kids I quit for me. If you had a wife and kids you probably wouldnt quit for them either you'd disappoint them a lot before quiting would ever be an option.

as far as this girl from the past goes I'm not sure. Sobriety has to be #1 if she stands to get in the way of that then she has to get cut loose. Theres more fish in the sea and more time for that later. If she doesnt stand to get in the way of that then i'm not sure I see an issue seeing her.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen View Post
I love to drink beer, I love to get drunk to end a day. I love to slam a nine pack of those aluminum pints on my 40 mile drive home from work. I often tell myself that if I ever get my first DUI, I will thank the officer for saving my life. I'm a naive, disgusting, irresponsible and flat-out dangerous human being at this point.

A few weeks ago I decided I had a serious addiction to kick and made a thread on this very website about my withdrawal concerns. I went three days sober, the first three consecutive days I've had in three or four years, and I had very mild withdrawal symptoms. I think this is the worst thing that could have happened to me because I think I've rationalized to myself that I must not be a serious alcoholic.

Today a fantastic girl from my past sent me a text message out of the blue. She wanted to know if I want to hang out when she's back in town in a few weeks. Well yes, of course I do. My initial thoughts are that this is a great time to stop drinking and start working out hard to try to cut a few pounds and look good when I see her.

I feel like girls are a very dangerous thing to set your hope for sobriety into. Has anyone leveraged a new relationship into new sobriety? Should I forget about this and not see her and take a more fundamental approach to normalcy?

I'm just looking for anything I can utilize for a change because I feel like my body is betraying me and making this problem too easy to manage.
The internal fortitude to become sober in my opinion must come from within. You are a prisoner with the key inside the cell. Do it for yourself and do it because you want to live.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
Drinking 8 beers on the way home on a 40 minute drive is one of the reasons I finally quit. Thats a beer every 5 minutes. It was like being in prison,because by the time I got home I was too drunk to do anything or see or talk to anybody.
I'm afraid your an awful lot like me,and you are going to find you can't quit. I also had a pretty physical job and worked off hangovers in a couple hours. (At least by lunch anyway). When 5 Oclock came I was going to the beer store and there were no two ways about it. I went through this cycle for 30 years.
I was almost 50 when I quit. You sound a lot younger. I hope you don't do like I did, and finally sober up. Realizing you spent a major part of your life drunk or hungover. What you might not realize is when your not drinking during the day. Booze is still running your life. It was mine anyway. I had to sober up a few months before I realized everything I did revolved around beer. I couldn't see that while I was still drinking.
I wish you the best.....
Fred
Good stuff, Fred.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

At least wait until you get home .
Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Been thinking about your thread a lot,

I do kind of wish my body would react a bit differently, a bit worse. I wish I could just -feel- the problem more
I love to slam a nine pack of those aluminum pints on my 40 mile drive home from work.
How much worse do you want it?

I don't physically feel the addiction.
The addiction just doesn't seem real though
yeah?

I'm scared to think what would make it real for you - a DUI? a Traffic fatality? liver disease?

all those things and more are possible.

at least cut out the drinking and driving dude - please - the life you save might be someone I love.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-27-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I feel like girls are a very dangerous thing to set your hope for sobriety into.
That's some smart thinking right there

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen
I'm just looking for anything I can utilize for a change because I feel like my body is betraying me and making this problem too easy to manage.
Please don't wait for a catalyst. It will come with time and then you're gonna wish it hadn't. Because even then quitting won't be any easier, it'll just be more urgent, more stressful. Please throw your all into it now before it gets too tough.

Have you thought about getting some support, AA/SMART meeting? Intensive outpatient program... rehab? These things are more useful than a potential girlfriend x
Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

40 miles is only an hour or so ,Please wait until you get home at least .

Life in prison is a long time to think about things .
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All I heard from my alcoholic husband was... It will never happen to me! I'm not like them! I won't wreck! I can handle it. I love you! I'd never hurt you! I'll quit for you!

Bhahahaaaa. Whatever.

1 less Harley.

100k in medical bills.

Massive head trauma.

6 brain bleeds total in 8 weeks.

1 brain surgery later.

Oh, it happens. The thing is, are you willing to pay the consequences? Because once it happens, you have No choice!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I wouldn't bother meeting her, because sooner or later you'll be 'slamming' into some innocent person on the road and then the big prison gates will be 'slamming' behind you!
I just hope it's not someone's child you manage to 'slam' into.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

I love to drink beer, I love to get drunk to end a day. I love to slam a nine pack of those aluminum pints on my 40 mile drive home from work. I often tell myself that if I ever get my first DUI, I will thank the officer for saving my life. I'm a naive, disgusting, irresponsible and flat-out dangerous human being at this point.
WHAT!
.....and you captioned this post under "Girls"??!!! SERIOUSLY??
I couldn't get past this first paragraph, so where the GIRLS come in I'm not sure, but buddy you have bigger problems then Girls?
Here is hoping you exaggerated the "*****, 9 pints of beer drinking while driving on the way home"...,if not the bolded quote is absolutely what you are.

Ya know, I think that is the most irresponsible thing I have ever heard an alcoholic say....and there is no denying SG , you are most definitely an alcoholic.

Girls? What GIRL in her right mind would step foot in a car with you--only one who could share your pride in getting your first DUI. Of course she may have the pleasure of taking out a few peoples lives before you get that first Ticket.
Sir you have some serious issues and girls are the least of your problem. You need to first get the hell off the roads when drinking, and seek some professional help for alcoholism. Of course this is my opinion only, and you may tell me to go to h---, but I sincerely hope that help begins today before you get out on the roads again come Monday and YEE HAW your way home drunk as a skunk.

Please continue coming to this forum, you need help and support!!

TrixMixer
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Spartan, I don't think 3 days is long enough for the full withdrawals. Your body is still recovering for months. It takes time to get to the really good feelings of sobriety. Wanting to be your best for a life with healthy relationships is a good reason to quit. Don't pin your hopes on one person tho. Healthy relationships in general in a good motivation. Very best wishes to you. You can do this.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Women are two of my worst compulsions. I can never have enough to begin to be satisfied with either.

I really dont know what the practical solution is though.

Ive burned countless bridges from drinking.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Incredibly depressed today after binging last night. Had to go into work this morning light headed and hungover and sit in a meeting where I probably looked like crap. I don't understand the mental side of this, why I deem it so necessary to drink. It feelsd like the Earth is just going to open up and swallow me alive if I don't get drunk. Its ridiculous.

I don't know what the point of this post is. I just wanted to vent since nobody in my real life seems to take my problem very seriously, or maybe I just haven't let them know how serious it is. I wish I had insurance, I would go to rehab where I could have people hold me accountable for my actions.

Blah.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hey Sparta,

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you're doing. I personally don't agree with some of the harsh judgement thrown your way on this thread. Your a sick person who needs help, because healthy people don't engage in that kind of dangerous behaviour.

That being said, don't use your lack of insurance as a cop-out. There are many avenues of recovery out there, especially counselling and AA, to name just a few. Yes, it's not easy, and yes it is very uncomfortable, but you have a responsibility to help for your illness. You are not a bad person, your a person who is not thinking in their right mind and you need to get treatment for that, much the same as a person with any other illness would do. You owe yourself that much, as well as the people whose lives you are endangering.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Incredibly depressed today after binging last night. Had to go into work this morning light headed and hungover and sit in a meeting where I probably looked like crap. I don't understand the mental side of this, why I deem it so necessary to drink. It feelsd like the Earth is just going to open up and swallow me alive if I don't get drunk. Its ridiculous.

I don't know what the point of this post is. I just wanted to vent since nobody in my real life seems to take my problem very seriously, or maybe I just haven't let them know how serious it is. I wish I had insurance, I would go to rehab where I could have people hold me accountable for my actions.

Blah.
Friend-

Can you stop drinking for just one day? That's all I ever ask of myself. Just one, day. On Tuesday, October 1st, 2013, no matter what happens, i won't have a drop. Not even mouthwash. That's it. Why jump over a hurdle when you can walk over a stick.

A strong man cannot help a weak man until the weak man is willing to help himself. No one or no "thing" can permanently change your condition but you. Once you realize this, you will find strength.

I'm praying for you.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Responsibility for our behaviors can't be dismissed - being sick with alcoholism is no justification for driving drunk. End of story. The arrogance in this thread for making excuses for drinking is appalling - not that I'm anybody to talk because back in my days of drinking I was just as bad. Still though... our drinking is our own responsibility and the behaviors that go with the drinking too.

Loving to get drunk won't be of much help in your coming to an understanding of what is happening with you and alcohol, SpartanGreen.

Sounds like drinking isn't working well with you. Not much there to love after all. Wasn't for me either - drinking was killing me on so many levels.

Good to see you posting, Spartan. Hope things get better for you ASAP.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
Well maybe one day after 9 beers and driving you will cause a fatal accident. Then I am sure you will be ready...
Perhaps not true at all. I do some work with others in the prison system, and there are a number of guys who have served serious time for a fatal accident, only to return to drinking once they get out.

And isn't this the problem of the alcoholic? My utter inability to leave it alone, in spite of the damage and consequences. I had this delusion for many years that one day something so bad would happen, I would finally wake up and smell the coffee and get my stuff together. In reality, things continued to get worse. This is textbook jaywalker stuff.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

If you happen to drink and drive and kill someone or even if its their fault for the accident and you were drunk you can be in deep trouble. You could sober up in prison for many years.

The whole hook up thing with a girl from the past is your choice. But don't let it decide one way or another your sobriety.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

I just wanted to vent since nobody in my real life seems to take my problem very seriously, or maybe I just haven't let them know how serious it is.
How seriously do I take it is the question I'd be asking myself. My drug use is my sole responsibility, as is my cessation. I never think of how others see my drug use as in my view it's not their business until it affects them, and I never look to others as a reason why I use. I use because of me choosing to.

I've done a lot of harm to myself over the years through substance abuse but I've never put anyone else's life at risk through it. That's a pretty big sign that reckless behaviour is present and reckless behaviour is a pretty big sign of the individual not taking something seriously enough themselves.

That's why I'm a codeine addict today. Who's making you drink & drive?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I understand the need for concrete evidence that physically there's a problem with your body. I've always said that to myself too. When the doctor tells me to quit for a major health reason that's when I'll stop. But I'm glad it never came to that because I'm sure it would have if I kept drinking. If your still young like I am I believe there's plenty of time to heal and move on. Quit for yourself and do it sooner than later.