Notices

Nine bottles of wine a day

Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nine bottles of wine a day

How is this even physically possible?

I read this article about Kenny Sansom, former English soccer player:

Kenny Sansom: 'I drank nine bottles of wine a day.' | Mail Online

I was drinking a lot less than that, and still was in really bad shape.

I know everyone is different, but still...
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, but how was his football after 9 bottles?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Typo??? Maybe 9 glasses???
Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Remember the media always exaggerates this kinda stuff for effect... What I imagine is, he may have drank nine bottles on ONE occasion (although he was probably so drunk he lost count and didn't actually drink that much) and then it was reported that this was an everyday occurrence. But yeah, nine bottles of wine a day and you're heading for liver failure in a matter of weeks...

Also read about guns n roses bass player, Duff McKagan, who claimed to have been sinking a GALLON of vodka a day, then deciding to taper off on TEN bottles of wine a day! And he's a skinny dude! His pancreas did eventually blow up but still... Could be a little rock star exaggeration of excess going on there...
Old 09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Having come from a pub myself, I will say that we witnessed phenomenal drinking.
30-50 pints in a sitting.
A bottle of brandy in a night to a woman who was the DD!
Saddest thing is we were kind of the bank as well so between drink and cigs, there wasn't much left for the drinker's family.
As Matty says though, the liver/pancreas usually object.
Also, stroke, diabetes and gout etc.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know people that could drink a 30 pack of beer a day ,so I guess its possible /

Most of the people I knew that did that died ,or are sick now
Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This kind of drinking is entirely possible. Some people have phenomenal capacities for booze, which IMHO can be explained by both built-up tolerance and genetics. From my personal drinking experience and observing others, I do not believe Mckagen or Sansom were exaggerating.

Regarding genetics, I had a hell of a capacity to drink right when I started. Once you added some tolerance on top, I could function after consuming prodigious amounts -- and I was dumb enough to be proud of it. I should have listened when I was told that was a clear warning sign that I was highly susceptible to developing a drinking problem, which I eventually did.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is that about 90 units depending on strength? or am I doing my math wrong?

My daily intake was about 45 units (1l of vodka), no one knew I was drinking but I'd have big memory lapses and often have to have some excuse as to why I couldn't remember.

There was a young guy once on 24hrs in A n E (C4 uk tv show) He drank over 75 units a day. So an older guy with higher tolerance. Sure why not.

I do agree tho that media sometimes does sensationalise stuff which reading as an alcoholic was always bad cus I would think well i'm not as bad as that I can carry on. It was only after I started reading some real stories of people who drank a lot less than me that I began to really realise the damage I was doing.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A bottle of wine in the US is 750 ml or approx. 25 ounces. A glass of wine is 5oz,so that's 5 units per bottle times 9 bottles = 45 units. A lot but believable. I have had 35 drinks in one night before.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Spread out over a day I reckon it's more than possible assuming it was a full day binge. It works out to be 72 standard drinks which is ghastly. Reckon I got close to that once in my career but jeez how sick would you be!
Doubt it was a daily intake no one could possibly do that everyday let alone once a week.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If he did that everyday at a certain point he would be puking up all the wine. i don't think anybodies system could take that. I heard of a guy drinking over 100 beers in one sitting but that was just one sitting not everyday. You would have to be drinking all day the whole time you're awake. you would have to be somewhere near a bathroom the whole day. You couldn't do anything really. It doesn't seem possible
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At my worst, years ago when binges were more common, I could drink 2 bottles of wine in an evening, but even then I would usually be drunk and then binge on a lot of food after drinking, then end up throwing up before bed even so I can't say how much wine was even in my system by the end. I would imagine even over the course of a whole day with 9 bottles I agree at a certain point some of that would likely have been thrown up.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

8 bottles of wine a day easy. 8 years and another life ago.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The Daily Mail newspaper is the master of typos and BS
Old 09-28-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I worked at a ski resort in Europe during the 90's there was this weekly challenge whereby you had to drink 100 shot glasses of beer in 2 hours to win a prize of more alcohol. That amount works out to 3.3L. Most of us that tried it ended up rushing it and puking somewhere in the second hour. I only know one person, a Dutch South African we called Scroffy, who did it without too much trouble. That's about 7 Pints in two hours. We considered Scroffy a Legend as alcohol didn't seems to effect him at all other than very bad flatulence after his daily dozen pints of Guinness.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know a guy who was drinking 3-4 bottles of whisky a day. It's certainly possible. There was a snooker player (Bill Werbeniuk) who allegedly drank between 30 and 50 pints of beer per day!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Now here is the important question. Were all of these drinkers of mammoth proportions alcoholic or hardened and seasoned drinkers?
I know some people who can put away a carton of beer of an evening but take it or leave it, makes no difference to them if booze is available or not, then I know others that fall over after a couple but must have it and are compulsive drinkers but with little staying power.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyeSea View Post
The Daily Mail newspaper is the master of typos and BS
Hahaha
Old 09-28-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

100 shots of beer in 100 minutes = the Century Club where I come from. The rules required you to drink your shot before the bell rang on the timer, pour yourself another and repeat until finished. I did it without much trouble before I became truly alcohol dependent (I was an undergrad and I wasn't even hung over the next day). In fact, I think we waited a while and then kept drinking.

Guys, it is in fact possible to regularly drink the amounts you read about. The papers aren't exaggerating, as much as you might want to think so. Genetics, tolerance, and body mass have a lot to do with the amount a person can drink regularly, and someone with such a "gift" can really pour it on in a binge. For example, I was the only person left awake at my 21st birthday party (largely because I was certain that if I passed out my friends would draw on me) -- that night I did 21 drinks+, and one (!) of said drinks was a 40oz of Crazy Horse malt liquor. I actually remember looking around, seeing that everyone was safely zonked, then throwing one last shot and hitting the sack. Sad to think once I was proud of being able to drink most anyone under the table.

Now I'm proud that I don't drink at all.