Notices

the other side of the coin.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the other side of the coin.

I've started attending Alanon, as I am in a relationship with an alcoholic. When I quit drinking I never went to AA. It's helping a great deal, but I have these horrible, horrible feelings of guilt about some of the things I did while I was an active drunk. Destroyed relationships, wasted time doing nothing, exacerbated my depression......I could go on.

I know I'll work through it, but being on the other side has given me some startling revelations about how bad I was, especially in my relationship with my ex husband.

Just had to get that out there. The guilt and shame has really overtaken me in the past week or so.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know what? When you know better, you do better. Working through the guilt is hard, but it reminds us we are human. Everyone has things in their past they feel guilt from, but it's what you learn from it that can be invaluable.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

you cant let your past ruin your today. Work through the guilt and shame as quick as possible and move forward. both are negative emotions that could just bring you down. Granted if there is anything you can do to even try to make it right sure go for it but then move forward and away from the guilt and shame. If its in the past leave it there. Today has enough problems of its own to contend with you cant be overwhelmed by yesturdays issues and expect to tackle todays issues to the best of your ability.

As far as the future goes well it hasnt happened yet so anythings possible. No sense in worrying about that either.