Notices

knowing about the morning drink

Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

knowing about the morning drink

its so difficult. yet i know its the last straw. im 27 years old and im struggling so hard right now. going to panic in a few hours (from cessation) and vomit bile most likely. not a 12 step/god fan, looking for support.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi jvice09, I am not sure I understand your post.

Do you mean that having a morning drink makes you realize you have a problem? Or wanting one makes you realize it?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about any options apart from AA Jvice?

D
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Consider seeing a doctor jvice09. They might be able to help with the withdrawal symptoms.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The morning drink can lead to a pretty hard landing. Sounds like you are well aware of that. We're here to support you in quitting - any ideas on what you can do to get started on your recovery path?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wasn't a 12/step God fan either when I got to AA. But you know what? I saw a room full of reasonably happy normal people who used to be just like I was so I had to know how they did it. AA has changed my life with the tools it has given me. Please don't be so quick to write off AA, just look at it with an open mind.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The morning drink makes for a LONG day. I know right now it looking ahead,it looks to be longer without one. Looking forward seems like forever,but when you look back it seems like minutes.
Thats why we only concentrate on right now. If we always stay sober "right now",we will always be sober.
I wish I would have had the sense to quit at 27.
Keep on posting,and let us know how it goes. A lot of us have been through,or are going through this.
I wish you the best.....
Fred
Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ugh its brutal. i spend my whole day planning my next drink. what a ****** life. ive been to detox twice this year, my mom is going to kill me, i cant keep doing this. might have to just sweat it out.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Hi jvice09, I am not sure I understand your post.

Do you mean that having a morning drink makes you realize you have a problem? Or wanting one makes you realize it?
your not a real alcoholic until you wake up shaking because you dont have alcohol in your system, and need a drink to balance your brain chemistry.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

unfortunately i realize this
Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi jvice..you sound like you are in pretty rough physical shape. I understand you have been in detox twice and that your mom might be upset....but if you were my child I would be more concerned about the fact that it sounds like you might need medical attention to detox. Your mom can handle being upset with you, you will both get over that, but please don't play around with detoxing by yourself, it sounds like you are in bad shape.

I have never heard anyone say they wish their child hadn't called them.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ive built my whole life/friend base around heavy drinkers and now i have to throw in the towel. its life changing and scary.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

its life changing and hard to recover. But what does the alternative look like? You cant go on the way your going that road wont work either and doesnt seem to be all that great as well.

If your unsure about the path to recovery I'd imagine at the very least its the lesser of 2 evils IE recovery vs not recovering. YOu do have at least that much to go on to get you from one day to the next.

I didnt like the walk down recovery lane. saying it sucked is an understatement. But as time went on I was glad becuase that road got brighter and brighter with time the other way just got worse and worse.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Hi jvice..you sound like you are in pretty rough physical shape. I understand you have been in detox twice and that your mom might be upset....but if you were my child I would be more concerned about the fact that it sounds like you might need medical attention to detox. Your mom can handle being upset with you, you will both get over that, but please don't play around with detoxing by yourself, it sounds like you are in bad shape.

I have never heard anyone say they wish their child hadn't called them.
im young and dumb. alcohol is so instilled in our society. i really think its the most dangerous and readily available drug on the planet.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
its life changing and hard to recover. But what does the alternative look like? You cant go on the way your going that road wont work either and doesnt seem to be all that great as well.

If your unsure about the path to recovery I'd imagine at the very least its the lesser of 2 evils IE recovery vs not recovering. YOu do have at least that much to go on to get you from one day to the next.

I didnt like the walk down recovery lane. saying it sucked is an understatement. But as time went on I was glad becuase that road got brighter and brighter with time the other way just got worse and worse.
im 27, im an idiot, and right now a slave to alcohol. i love your post cause its 100% correct. i drink because i like the feeling of being intoxicated.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

I quit at 33. at 27 I was also a slave and a slave to drugs and smokes etc.. I always wanted to go form 0 to smashed once i started up with whatever substance. I felt the need to do this day in and day out. I couldnt go a day without it. It just got worse tho. Finally unbearable panic attacks set in and I just did not know what to do. I tried quiting cigarettes that didnt work. I tried vitamins etc.. nothing worked. I was my wits end on a whim I quit drinking thinking no way that would work. I then realized how hard it was to quit drinking It also was not offering any immediate relief really. I just new it couldnt possibly be any worse then the hell i was expierienceing. Little by VERY little it got better. For me I new if i threw in the towell that meant going back to drinking and that hell. I felt i was screwed either way. Screwed if i quit screwed if i continued to drink. I wondered what the dang point was A LOT. It took a while I know what the point is now. Lifes a lot different now a lot better. I still got problems. I wont lie I still think about getting trashed too I just know where that road will take me and I cant stomach that anymore.

If you where an idiot you wouldnt be here looking for help.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jvice09 View Post
im 27, im an idiot, and right now a slave to alcohol. i love your post cause its 100% correct. i drink because i like the feeling of being intoxicated.
Hey Jvice,

You are certainly not an idiot. You are 27 years old and are smart enough to know and admit you are an alcoholic. Some people walk around their entire life and die an alcoholic, never wanting to admit they may need to stop drinking.
Yea is is Scary!
They take the easy way out and die young. You on the other hand are working at climbing out of this desolate pit we call alcoholism.

Looks like you have a lot of good people here who have been where you are,hell,
everyone on this wonderful site knows exactly what you are talking about.
We all have to find our own way out, but the first step is to "Take that first step", and you have.

I truly believe most people that begin working on sobriety, finally do achieve it. It is just a matter of time. As far as your way of life revolving around alcohol, I for one know what you are talking about. Mine was work, clubs, and drinking--all my so-called friends were drunks like me. Had to give that all up--guess what none of my "drunk friends" ever missed me once I left the fold. They just found some other schmuck to leach onto. So if your worried about losing your friends--well these people are not your friends. Your friends will be the ones who help you out of this pit not want to keep you there.

ONE DAY AT A TIME--take it literally!

Good luck to you and stay strong.
TrixMixer
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

your a boss zjw, ill pm you my # hopefully we can talk soon
Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

god im not looking forward to withdrawal.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That morning drink is the start of the end .

Most of us have been there .