Notices

knowing about the morning drink

Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susan2984 View Post
You're in your 20's right? I only just turned 29 if that's any consolation. Sometimes it's not about age or adulthood just finding what can push you into the right frame of mind. Easier said than done to find what that is of course.
thank you for posting susan. it helps. i havent crossed someone EXACTLY like me. i just need to grow up and figure it out.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
zjw

35 here and still growing up lol. I dont wanna grow up too much however lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

my college professor said this of my generation "you want the world, and you want it yesterday" my ex gf always said "you cant have your cake and eat it too" i just have to grow up and stop being a baby
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

theres nothing more pathetic than a person whining online (me). im going to clean my house and do my laundry and wash my car. thank you guys for posting, it helps.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah its not really fair. I wanted to be able to drink and have it not adversly affect me it didnt happen. I wanted to get a job work hard and get paid well it didnt happen.

I had to learn how to just accept things for the way that they are. it is what it is. As much as I'd like to drink and have a good time it just doesnt work that way for me. Its ok I've accepted that and moved on.

You hear the old timers say "living life on lifes terms" etc.. Just gotta accept stuff for how it is. Sometimes there really is just nothing you can do.

I spent a lot of time thinking about how well this is just great I cant drink now what am i gonna do!! I kicked and screamed and carried on like a spoiled child getting his toy taken away after he did something bad with it again!.

Once I accepted it it was easier. But it wasnt just alcohol there where a lot of other things in life I had to learn how to accept and just let be.

It is what it is.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
zjw

its ok to Whine heck i did my fair share and still do! I got scared when i started to run out of ears to whine too. Us alcoholics have a tendancy to go around and around in circles with our thoughts and problems its a viscious cycle that needs to get broken so we can recover.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
One thing to try especially if the evening prior was filled with alcohol. Start your morning with a fruit smoothie like a full blender full of your favorite fruits huck in some chocolate powder the unsweetened kind theres plenty of sugar in the fruit. Go for bananas especially if you like them.

All the nutrients and carbs etc.. will get you feeling good. Bananas are full of b6 something us alcoholics do a good job at depleteing. Well we manage to deplete ourselves of a lot of garbage. Between alcohol washing out the good stuff in our systems to well replacing meals with alcohol instead so we get under nourished well its no wonder then trying combat recovery or anything else is such a struggle for us. You dont try to drive your car on a long road trip on a quarter tank of gas. You cant expect your body to beat this stuff when its undernourished and beaten down.

Sometimes if you change 1 thing you manage to change everything. I remember when i quit cigarettes if i just didnt have that first one i'd be ok. But if i woke up and had that first one? forget it it was all over for the rest of the day.

The worst for me was the climbing the walls. I had so much anxiety and anger i'd walk around with clenched fists and gritted teeth ready to explode on anyone and anything. Took a while for that to work its way out but it finally did. I can still get myself into a bad pit of depression and anger etc.. if i'm not careful. I try really hard to catch myself long before I fall these days.

Add in a high strength multi vitiman , like mega sport from GNC and you will be really shocked how good you feel .

Try a high protein lunch or dinner ,like chicken breast or tuna ,with a few veggies .

I find protein to make me feel really good all day .
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

food has been an issue for me these past few years. when i lost my pops i learned to vomit after every meal out of anxiety. physically nothing was wrong with me, the food was prepared fine. i can eat when i have alcohol in my system because im not anxious. it sucks, there is something else beyond my alcoholism that causes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
zjw

tough call without knowing much. My stomach has improved a lot since I quit drinking. I know drinking can cause various stomach ailments etc.. I also have better digestion if i eat good stuff vs bad stuff. I'm a bit of a health nut anymore and I can watch someone eat a pizza and complain about stomach issues and I'll think well umm you just ate a pepporoni pizza what do you expect?

sorry about your loss. I'm sure that sort of death stings pretty good and doesnt exactly help matters.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

jvice - I have a history of bulimia and when I would have nights where I would drink more I would tend to delve back into that behavior once I had drank a bunch I would eat a bunch and then throw up. For ME, eating normally stops me from wanting to have a drink as well. Definitely look into going to the doctor possibly to deal with anxiety and get meds or even better sometimes natural remedies help to calm, I also take the mega woman's from GNC and I notice a difference.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I know in the past couple weeks since cutting out the wine by IBS has been much better, so there are all sorts of stomach issues that could be related.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
zjw

Funny thing with anxiety for me was I took a pill thats a natural remedy for depression and POOF my anxiety went away. I thought what gives i'm not depressed. I told my wife how come I take this its for depression and i'm not depressed I just have bad anxiety but yet it works for anxiety. Knowing the science behind it it should not have worked for anxiety.

she laughed at me told me I'm one of the most depressed people she knows! shes like you dont even realize your depressed? I was like what i'm depressed? she said I should hear myself sometimes. I started to get happier after taking this and after more reading I realized the anxiety was more or less coming from the depression.

Sometimes fixing depression I guess can go a long way at helping the anxiety.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

yea theres nothing really wrong in my life. i live in san diego by the beach and have lived a great life on paper. instead of seeking medical help i decided to get my quick fix and drink alcohol. it helps for maybe an hour but i know how harmful it really is.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I like the phrase. "I want what I want and I want it now".
Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jvice09 View Post
get lost longbeach. those things dont get trough to me. im trying to find something that works for me.
Sorry I offended you. I'm not pushing anything on you, I've been sober almost five years now, and AA was not a major part of my sobriety, although I used bits and pieces of lots of things. You'll find that many recovered alcoholics do the same.

When I asked the question "How's that working for you", what I probably should have said is this: Before you dismiss things out of hand, it's not a bad idea to see if there is anything within those philosophies that you can add to your "toolbox" (this refers to a collection of things or tools that help on a daily basis with recovery). It can be as small as "I like the phrase 'One Day at a Time', but that's about it". Same with your beliefs about the existence of God or a higher power.

There is no perfect fit in recovery. I just was trying to say that keeping an open mind about the help available to you can only help you in the long run.

You have it within you to find sobriety, to make a better life for yourself. You are so young, with so many years of what can be an incredible life ahead of you. I hope that you find it, and will be pulling for you!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

yea theres nothing really wrong in my life. i live in san diego by the beach and have lived a great life on paper. instead of seeking medical help i decided to get my quick fix and drink alcohol. it helps for maybe an hour but i know how harmful it really is.
jvice,

I have read through this thread to try and understand just exactly what you are looking for. There have been several people here who have really given you some solid advice and understanding. If you are looking for a mentor then someone like ZJW sounds like he understands exactly where you are coming from.

You keep saying you are "just a KID who is messed up". Well at 27 you are no longer a kid. Maybe that is where the problem comes in. Maybe alcohol is your way of staying a Kid. You may not be ready to give up the life you have made for yourself while drinking.

Know this you ARE an alcoholic, and you Do need help. All the talking in the world won't change a thing . Only YOU can start the change and that comes with sucking it up and putting the alcohol away. Sure it won't be easy, but you have taken the easy way out long enough. Your health is going to be compromised if you do not do something soon. The need for guidance can only come from a professional who knows your history.

Please for your sake begin there. Find a counselor or doctor you can talk to, then you will have someone you are accountable to. That will make a difference.

You are not "just a dumb kid" unless you decide to dig your feet into the muddy waste that is alcoholism. Make the changes you need NOW before it is too late.

You have people here who genuinely care about you and have been where you find yourself now. IMO you are shutting people down who tell you things you do not want to hear....and not in a nice way, I might add. Do you honestly think you know more than these recovering alcoholics, some with many many years of sobriety. You want a mentor--well they should be just that.

I am 62 and have been sober a long time and am still learning from this forum.
You say you have a good life--so something else is causing you to chose this destructive behavior. Let a professional help you figure it out.

This of course is all just my opinion and you can take it or leave it. I hope you choose to change. You are young enough to still have a wonderful sober life.

All the best,
Trix
Old 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I like the phrase. "I want what I want and I want it now".
LOL! Amen GracieLou!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

You're not a dumbass you just have an addiction. I have been where you are now and so have many other people here. Believe that you can get sober, because you can. It's not easy but it's like they say anything worth obtaining in life isn't easy
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

you really think you're helping somebody out posting stuff like this? albeit its 100% true and i can't argue it, but come on buddy.
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE!*

*But first it will pi$$ you off and give you some big resentments.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
jvice,

You keep saying you are "just a KID who is messed up". Well at 27 you are no longer a kid. Maybe that is where the problem comes in. Maybe alcohol is your way of staying a Kid. You may not be ready to give up the life you have made for yourself while drinking.

Trix
your right..im just looking for any and all excuses i can to justify why its ok to drink, sound familiar?