Notices

Professor David Nutt on Alcohol

Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Why oh why. Cam I put down a joint and not a glass off vodka???
Ah.......such an easy answer. You probably know it but it's so obvious that most people miss it.

1. Though you smoked a lot.....maybe even a ton.....you, given your ability to put it down and walk away, were obviously NOT a drug addict. You were a drug user, probably a heavy user. Maybe even an abuser......but not an addict.

2. Given your experience with booze...you may just be an alcoholic.

Addiction to one doesn't = addiction to the other. I walked away from drugs but couldn't do the same with booze. hence, I'm an alkie but not an addict.

----------------------------------------------------------

On the subject of this thread.....while he may make some good points, I personally wouldn't recommend "substitution" over recovery - ever. I didn't get sober to just pick up another bad habit. I want to grow, to be better, to live better.......not just practice the same dumb behaviors in another area of my life.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

...whereas my POV is the problem wasn't the weed or the booze somuch as the problem was me.

My intent was always the same - to get effed up and escape - just the
'rocket fuel' varied...

which is why I can't get on board with the replacement drug theory

D
Old 09-22-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

^^^^^^^ for SURE! No disagreement there Dee.

I was just responding to the "why could I quit one but not the other" part of the question.

Man, if only it WAS the booze........or the drugs........ I could have played a LOT of golf over the past 6 yrs.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Weed is certainly overly lauded in some quarter, legalization and science aside. I've known people totally immersed and dependent on it. The most annoying thing about it for me was like, I'm sitting here talking to the person, and she's lighting up. Oops! She's got to insulate, go and have her other tandem experience! Like any drug in that respect. The provenance of an unexplored personality. I feel a lot of resentment toward marajuana culture, the know-it-all-ness the narcissism, the bad music, the holier than thou politics, the lack of a sense of irony, or else the lionized, American Pie notion of escape from a coddled but hellish state of affairs. My neighbors fill the halls of our building with its smell, and they probably think the odor is herbal and pleasant, like incense. I'm certain they would totally judge me 100% if I called them out on it. They wouldn't say as much, or acknowledge as much to themselves, but they would total not give a second to trying to see it from anyone elses point of view.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

There certainly is a lot of misinformation in popular culture about cannabis these days. It's acquired a fairly glamorous image, and one result of that is young people perceive it as harmless. For some people it is, as with alcohol, but for others it is not.

I work with kids who are extremely at risk, and who come from backgrounds that include intense childhood trauma. Seeing them buy into the glamorous image of weed is frustrating and at the end of the day, dangerous for them.

Like Dee, I'm a former pot addict myself. This current, weed doesn't hurt anybody line, is in my opinion quite bunk. Having said that, I can't get behind the War on Drugs either. People like the kids I work with reach for weed because they had the misfortune of being born into really crummy circumstances. Throwing them in jail for trying to deal with their emotional pain the easiest way available to them, seems inhumane, and at the end of the day, completely without compassion.

My two cents anyhoot.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I spent an hour today looking at Prof Nutts work. Some interesting stuff and some eye grabbing quotes.
I've got to agree with Dee in the end this is a sobriety forum and not helpful here.
John.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by davaidavai View Post
I feel a lot of resentment toward marajuana culture, the know-it-all-ness the narcissism, the bad music
LMAO! Amen.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
LMAO! Amen.
Haha if you're referring to reggae music C'MON its not that bad! Bit samey I admit but you can't dislike Marley or Peter tosh surely!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

IMHO, whether you are addicted to pot or not, if you are an alcoholic and continue to use pot after quitting drinking, you truly are not sober and cannot address your issues with a clear mind nor truly feel and explore the depth of your emotions which are painfully exposed when you are truly sober.