Notices

AA, Al-Anon and Al-Ateen

Old 09-22-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA, Al-Anon and Al-Ateen

I've seen several threads lately about sober people worried about the paths of their younger/ish children.

I participated in AA for several years. It wasn't for me. But I want to tell you about my best friend. He started AA at 25. Blackout drunk. In and out and got hooked on prescription pills. Now at 55 he has been sober for 5 years.

He got his wife involved in Al-Anon 3 years ago. She loves it. She is an introvert and this helps her. They are both co-dependent. At the same time they introduced their only child aged 12 to AlaTeen. He is crazy about it. It is once a week. He goes on weekend outings and his best friends are from there.

Even though Jack is worried he has "passed down" the gene, the family all doing their AA things is helpful. The teenage son shows no sign of interest in alcohol. And even when he gets older he has a strong support and knowledge of alcohol and its effects on the individual and family.

I'd like to suggest that if you are interested in AA to consider this if you have impressionable young teens.