SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   For those of you that experienced a harsh withdrawal, how much were you drinking? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/308152-those-you-experienced-harsh-withdrawal-how-much-were-you-drinking.html)

Iopu 09-20-2013 01:41 PM

For those of you that experienced a harsh withdrawal, how much were you drinking?

I'm very interested to know how much alcohol it takes to cause such problems.

wakko 09-20-2013 01:48 PM

There is no real way to know because we are.all different. I would highly recommend seeing a doc with addiction experience if u are worried. Alcohol withdrawl can be fatal!!!

Dee74 09-20-2013 01:50 PM

Hi Iopu

I think you're on the wrong track here.
Although quantity may be a factor sometimes, it needn't be.

We're all different for one. What might put me into detox trouble might not affect youm, and vice versa.

In any case, the more years I drank, the less I had to drink for me to suffer some pretty debilitating withdrawals.

If you're worried about withdrawals, the best advice I can give you is see your Dr - get checked out - see what they suggest :)

D

Bostonsportsfan 09-20-2013 03:06 PM

3/4 a fifth a night for 14-18 months led to bad withdrawal.

anxietygoaway 09-20-2013 03:09 PM

8.12 cans a nite 16 on a good night anxiety next day was awfull

jaynie04 09-20-2013 03:14 PM

Hearing any talk about quantities etc on this forum makes me very anxious. There are many many factors to be considered when detoxing from alcohol, it is not as simple as quantity. Please understand that in doing so someone may get the wrong idea. I would highly suggest that people seek medical advice when detoxing from alcohol, most doctors are extremely helpful and supportive when they find out someone is trying to address an addiction.

PhaseTwo 09-20-2013 03:24 PM

if you're asking this question to see if you can get away with drinking less than the responses i would give serious thought to quitting because that usually doesnt work out.

Nineteen67 09-20-2013 03:35 PM

A 1 week bender of about 30 - 40 units a day(and little food) put me in the mental home for a week with DT's. I've read about folk drinking that amount for years though and not going through severe withdrawal. As already said, everyone is different. Don't take the chance.

KissMyTiara 09-20-2013 03:54 PM

Like others have said, it different. I drank a pint of vodka every night for 10 years and had no withdrawals except slight hangover for a day and then being tired.

Yankee73 09-20-2013 04:10 PM

There is no formula or magic number. There is no rhyme or reason to it. You may have no withdrawal symptoms, some withdrawal symptoms, tons of withdrawal symptoms or go on to your final reward (game over). Do it as often as I did and they were like snowflakes- no two withdrawals were alike.

Raider 09-20-2013 04:42 PM

Hey I have a question....

I hope I'm in a rehab soon. Scared but I'm doing it.

My question is this, I used to have a very high tolerance for liquor. Now not so much anymore. I can't drink the amounts I used, I just can't do it. I'm glad but the question is...

Is this normal.

Nineteen67 09-20-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Raider (Post 4192488)

My question is this, I used to have a very high tolerance for liquor. Now not so much anymore. I can't drink the amounts I used, I just can't do it. I'm glad but the question is...

Is this normal.

In a word... yes.

Look up "alcohol reverse tolerance"

ProgressNotPerfection 09-20-2013 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Raider (Post 4192488)

Is this normal.

Sounds like a liver issue to me. As we kill our liver, our tolerance goes down. It is normal for an alcoholic to kill their liver if they don't stop using in time.

Time to see the doctor.

Doug39 09-20-2013 05:16 PM

Everyone is different and we all change.

Twenty years ago when I was 30 I could drink whiskey like kool aid all day everyday and still keep it together.

Toward the end of my drinking 6 or 8 beers had me hurting the next day.

I think my body just got worn out from all that boozing.

MattyBoy 09-20-2013 05:20 PM

A fifth to a litre of vodka per day for ten days was enough for me to require hospitalisation for withdrawal. Prior to that I had 3 months sobriety and prior to that I'd only been a daily of 6 beers for around 12 months. Before that I was a strictly weekend/social drinker.

So the answer is: less than you'd think...

Boleo 09-20-2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo (Post 4192345)
if you're asking this question to see if you can get away with drinking less than the responses...

It's kind of like asking those who have played and survived Russian Roulette how many blanks they managed to get. There is still no logical reason to believe the next round won't go BANG!:uzi2:

john44 09-20-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo (Post 4192345)
if you're asking this question to see if you can get away with drinking less than the responses i would give serious thought to quitting because that usually doesnt work out.

This is excellent advice and I'll illustrate with my story.

A couple years ago, I didn't get withdrawals. My alcoholism progressed unbelievably rapidly though. After my first serious attempt at sobriety and bad withdrawals, I relapsed multiple times. Each detox/withdrawal was worse until one time, after 5 months sober, I drank for two days and was hospitalized. I'd only had 12-16 ounces of whisky each of those two days and the withdrawals were unreal. I couldn't believe what was happening to me.

I believe once a certain point is reached, detoxing is more and more dangerous, painful and difficult. I really believe the old saying that the next drink could kill you. For me, I take it literally.

ProgressNotPerfection 09-20-2013 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by john44 (Post 4192656)
I believe once a certain point is reached, detoxing is more and more dangerous, painful and difficult. I really believe the old saying that the next drink could kill you. For me, I take it literally.

I have been told for decades that when we go back out, we don't pick up where we left off. It is as if we never stopped at all.

I knew a man who had quit for 26 years, started drinking again and six weeks later was dead from liver failure.

I'm sure I have another relapse in me. Not sure I have another recovery.

caboblanco 09-20-2013 07:07 PM

24 beers 4 nights a week. I didn't have physical withdrawals. I do have a fatty liver though

Iopu 09-20-2013 10:54 PM

I've quit drinking more than I am currently taking without getting a withdrawal. I want to quit now for good because I was off it for 3 months and felt amazing. I started again and I feel hungover, headachy and tired all the time. I'm currently taking 5-6 beers a night. The reason I asked is because the knowledge of how severe the withdrawals can be is giving me anxiety attacks. I can't cut back by a single beer without spending the whole day thinking "I'm in a withdrawal, I could get a seizure".