Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For those of you that experienced a harsh withdrawal, how much were you drinking?

Notices

For those of you that experienced a harsh withdrawal, how much were you drinking?

Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnny152 View Post
I have been told for decades that when we go back out, we don't pick up where we left off. It is as if we never stopped at all.

I knew a man who had quit for 26 years, started drinking again and six weeks later was dead from liver failure.

I'm sure I have another relapse in me. Not sure I have another recovery.
I've also hear/read about this.

You'd think your body would recover at least a little overtime.

My last hospitalization the Doctor told me I'm done with alcohol - no more..say goodbye.

I've been listening to his advice..
Old 09-21-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was sitting in the cafeteria at inpatient rehab and a young guy went down on the floor in full blown seizures.....he had been out of detox for over a week. He was 27, a total sweetheart. There were 8 meds around him in minutes.

I am not telling anyone this to scare you, I am telling you this because I detoxed off off alcohol and benzos and it wasn't bad, but I saw some people in really bad shape that didn't need to go through hell, they decided to do it themselves and ended up in a medical setting very late in the game.

Some people don't want to get other people involved...and I think I know why. Because getting other people involves means admitting you have a problem, if you detox alone, you leave the possibility open that you can drink again "occasionally" if you want to. Do you think other alkies haven't thought the same way? The thing is, you are truly rolling the dice with your life, detox seizures can kill you.

Once you have gone into detox seizures, they can't be stopped!!! That is why doctors get so freaked out about them. It is one of the things that modern medicine has not come up with a cure for, so even if you were rolled in on a gurney in the midst of one, all the doctors could do would be to admin something to alleviate your distress, but it would still be the luck of the draw. So to everyone comparing notes, not cool man. There is nothing cool about being in full seizures in the ER with doctors looking helplessly on.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Matt M

I don't think there is a set amount, it just depends on the individual and how each body copes with it.
I had three withdrawal seizures in the space of 24 hours but I had drank heavily for about 10 years, so it's really impossible to say why it got to that point at that stage.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mine were not too bad with the exception of the anxiety , but it was tough .

I was a 12 pack a day drinker ,and 1-2 half gallons whiskey a week
Old 09-21-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

See a doctor for a proper detoxing. That will ease your mind and your withdrawal.

Then don't buy any or drink any. Find a method of recovery like rational recovery, avrt, smart, life ring, sos, AA.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iopu View Post
I've quit drinking more than I am currently taking without getting a withdrawal. I want to quit now for good because I was off it for 3 months and felt amazing. I started again and I feel hungover, headachy and tired all the time. I'm currently taking 5-6 beers a night. The reason I asked is because the knowledge of how severe the withdrawals can be is giving me anxiety attacks. I can't cut back by a single beer without spending the whole day thinking "I'm in a withdrawal, I could get a seizure".
Hey, if stopping is worrying you to that extend, then it's really time to see your doctor
I was like that - hated drinking but petrified to stop. Luckily, I got away with it, but not risking it ever again (especially after reading this thread)
At the very least, is there someone who could stay with you, in the first few days? At least that would ease some of the anxiety you're feeling.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iopu View Post
I can't cut back by a single beer without spending the whole day thinking "I'm in a withdrawal, I could get a seizure".
That thought could be your addicted voice (AV) trying to keep you drinking. If you want to stop, then stop. Address every worry and anxiety. The AV said to me, "You can't stop, you won't function," I reminded myself I wasn't functioning now... I thought was very scared to quit, then I realized my AV was scared of me quitting.

If your AV says "you can't stop, you will have a seizure," then you can say, I will have a doctor monitor me to make sure I am safe.