Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The awkward moment when you order a soft drink...

Notices

The awkward moment when you order a soft drink...

Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Maybe it's different in the States, or maybe my experience is different. During a past sober period I went to a rough, bikerish bar to hear my cousin's band play. I was apprehensive when I went the bar to order a Diet Coke. I assume that ordering a Coke in that type of bar would get me laughed out of the place. While I was waiting for the bartender to get my Coke, a huge, burly biker guy came up to the bar. The bartender gave me my soda and then asked the biker guy what he wanted.

Guess what he ordered? A Coke.

So it's been my experience that a lot of different types of people are in recovery, and that not drinking is pretty much accepted, usually without question. I think the "awkward" feeling is mostly unwarranted--in time you will feel completely comfortable not ordering an alcoholic drink.
As a biker myself, it's pretty commonplace for most of us (myself excepted, I got trashed and rode drunk) to drink lightly or not at all when out riding. Even on poker runs that stop at bars, most riders had at most 1 beer, or ordered a coke. I was one of the few do do a shot an beer.

It's really mostly in our head, most people are normal drinkers. Hard to fathom, but true.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

This is an awesome and super supporting thread...I love all the different perspectives on this. Someone said that they started making mention of not drinking as a result of being on a health kick, I did the same thing - I do cross fit and it seems just stupid to drink and beat myself up working out 4 days a week...but honestly, I just do not find bars all the interesting anymore. I don't want to meet up with my drinking friends at them b/c I usually end up being the designated driver - ICK. And it just isn't worth it. Plus, I am triggered, honestly by a bar to drink and then use my DOC.
I do however, still work as a server at a craft brewery...that has to stop soon - I am just sick and tired of contributing to other's addictions and honestly, I can spot an addict from a mile away - and I don't want to do it anymore....A lot of my coworkers are alcoholics and addicts of some sort and the tempation is just too strong.
As an aside, most places, if you say you are designated driver, will serve you soft drinks FREE. At least I do.....

As far as alcohol free beers - be leary of these, stateside.....most have a trace of alcohol in them and for some that is too much!

I find that at most breweries (craft brew places) there are GREAT ROOTBEER or cream soda options. what a diverse and great offering to the culinary scene. I sometimes even take home a growler of them.

I have just over 30 days sober and clean this week and it is AWESOME! And the MONEY i am saving WOW
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Root Beers! HMN, I have gained a whole new appreciation of those since becoming sober. It was always my mothers soft drink of choice, she could tell the difference between the brands the way I could tell amongst crafts. She was right.

Root beer is my soft drink of choice now too. Smooth and silky..not too much carbonation, very refreshing.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Maybe it's different in the States, or maybe my experience is different. During a past sober period I went to a rough, bikerish bar to hear my cousin's band play. I was apprehensive when I went the bar to order a Diet Coke. I assume that ordering a Coke in that type of bar would get me laughed out of the place. While I was waiting for the bartender to get my Coke, a huge, burly biker guy came up to the bar. The bartender gave me my soda and then asked the biker guy what he wanted.

Guess what he ordered? A Coke.

So it's been my experience that a lot of different types of people are in recovery, and that not drinking is pretty much accepted, usually without question. I think the "awkward" feeling is mostly unwarranted--in time you will feel completely comfortable not ordering an alcoholic drink.
Been around biker bars here in the states. It's not at all unusual for clubs out partying to have a few members remain sober in case something comes up.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I have had only a few occasions when people even noticed I wasn't drinking, and since about 6 weeks sober, I am pretty regularly around alcohol. I don't avoid social get togethers, business engagements, or dinner invitations because there will be alcohol available or I would rarely go out!!

Anyway, the people who noticed only noticed because they were so used to me getting ********* at every occasion they were shocked. I have never told them I quit drinking, I'm an alcoholic, etc. I just said "I'm not drinking today" which is always true. On only one occasion has someone been obnoxious enough to make an issue of it, and that person likely has a pretty serious drinking problem of her own.

Newer acquaintances don't even notice that I didn't order an alcoholic beverage. And what I've noticed is there's a lot of people out there that don't drink. I never realized when I was busy getting drunk; a good percentage of the people at the party aren't drinking anything alcoholic!!!

I recently graduated with an advanced degree in my profession, about six weeks after I was sober. In my new role, none of my colleagues have seen me intoxicated. That is a feeling I can't describe. I am so thankful to have found sobriety. I love waking up in the morning bright eyed and with nothing of which to be ashamed. Gratitude.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Awesome Kathleen!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

On the rare occasion I'm at a bar I've no problem ordering a water or soda while always tipping the server. Many years ago I worked some nights as a barback to help pay for college. The patrons were mostly a middle age crowd. At the end of those long nights I only remembered the ones who'd had way too much to drink and I felt sorry for them. It's very ironic that I ended up in their place...until 9 months ago.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Where I live so many people are RABID about their iced tea or diet sodas that no one things twice if they order that rather than a hard drink. I drink water because it's low cal and CHEAP...The three bucks and calories saved "pay" for part of my desert! (lol)

Hey, DD could stand for designated driver OR designated DRY
Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

There's another type of awkward moment that's just as horrible. When you order a soft drink and the person behind the bar looks at you for five seconds confused, because they are so used to you rambling and slurring while ordering another double vodka and coke.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoodbyeJose View Post
I have found that the bartender likes me when I don't order alcohol. They recognize that I'm the designated driver, and usually give me my coke for free.

Designated drivers prevent potential liability problems for the bar owners, so everyone is happy in the end.

Truth is, normal people also have DD's come with them... people take turns not drinking. When I don't drink I don't assume I'm branded as the recovering alcoholic, but that it's just "my turn" to not drink that night.

Then I get free soda and get to tell my friends stories about how ridiculous they were the next day.
This x 1000. I have yet to have to pay for a Sprite/club soda with lime.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
quat

I think the most awkward moment for me was the first time I ordered a soft drink in a situation where previously I would not have. The hesitation on my part, not because I was deciding to have a drink or not, just the realization that I was ordering the first of many purposeful soft drinks. I caught my wife's eye and we both smiled, she noticed the hesitation and I think knew what I was thinking. It was a good awkward, but I still hesitated, it was a little weird

But on the excuse/reason line , you could say "oh , nope not after last night" with a little eye roll(and only you will know you mean, I didn't drink last night and I'm not about to let that change, ever )