Notices

Paranoia, high anxiety in early sobriety

Old 09-16-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paranoia, high anxiety in early sobriety

I have been a weekend binge drinker for years. Pretty much a cycle of 4-5 days no drinking followed by 2-3 days of heavy drinking.

Finally had enough a little over a week ago and quit. 8 days in and I am having trouble with paranoia and anxiety.....also weird issues with my balance at night, leaning left or something.

Plus really tired. Thought if i made a week I would feel better? Anybody else get his when they try to quit?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I had it bad I also drank a lot more then you. I'd imagine your binge drinking is your way of self medicating the anxiety / paranoia but also it fans the flames and makes it worse. It gets better in time as you learn to live life without it.

I cant say how long it will take for you to recover. For me it was a long road and now at 2 years sober I still have anxiety etc.. but no where near on the level that it was then.

its pretty common for people to have anxiety/panic from drinking / giving up drinking.

I had some funny balance issues myself early on too never did figure out why. I thought perhaps my ears where clogged but it could have been booze related. I also felt like i was in some sort of dream world for a very long time too that sitll happens now and then but it doesnt bother me now I kind of enjoy it it gets me away from reality and I end up appreciating nature etc.. more. Things are more vivid if you will.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

7 days sober myself and do have some anxiety, but it's not too bad. Just gotta battle through it. I don't feel great, but it's better then boozing everyday.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks and good luck to both of you for weighing in. I have never experienced anything like this...I am going to tough it out, but right now its overwhelming..
Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Paranoia, anxiety, normal, absolutely, even balance. Kinda normal. I just got up from a chair earlier this evening and almost fell over an ottoman, stone cold sober on day 21. I never do that.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I don't get is why....I feel like I'm dong the right thing..? Any suggestions for coping with it? I can't go long like this.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your brain and body is adjusting to life without alcohol. It isn't like cutting out cheese sandwiches, alcohol is POISON. You gotta ride it out, distract yourself. It will taper off and end, usually within a couple weeks max.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope so....thanks....good job on 21 days.....I can't believe we do this to ourselves.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MTD

OMG! I had the same feeling of leaning to one side. It was pretty scary! It only happened once but wow was that a weird feeling. I didn't fee to good the first two weeks but now I have been sober 6weeks and feel great. I still get really tired but I will take these hiccups over being drunk any day!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just try to find something to distract your mind from alcohol. Once you detox it's all in your mind, you just gotta distract your mind from thinking about alcohol. I got home from detox today, so I get it. I'm distracting myself though and it's not too bad. I don't know long it takes, but our minds will forget about wanting alcohol.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PAWS: Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Having a support system to help you in early recovery is a very good idea. Welcome to SR!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Vicious, I had it real bad as well and had to go to the dr. to get some medication to help me thru it. I am around 38 days alcohol free and don't need the meds anymore. The cravings, anxiety, paranoia and feeling like overall crap has pretty much all gone. Hang in there.... It does get better.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Vicious, the 21 days haven't been easy but my payoffs are coming already and I absolutely believe yours will too if you hang in there. Post here anytime you need someone to talk to rather than drink. Lots of Aussies and Europeans here as well, so round the clock someone is usually about.