SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   1st sober weekend (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/307712-1st-sober-weekend.html)

Hypocritical 09-16-2013 06:29 AM

1st sober weekend

....was tough. Just driving home Friday was a challenge. Almost gave in and went after a bottle of wine Saturday night but overcame that urge and went to bed. Sunday was busy with painting and yard work. I know I DESERVED a reward for all of the progress I had made. We went to dinner and I asked my wife on the way if one beer meant failure. She said " no beer" and I agreed that it's my sobriety and even if she had said yes I still wouldn't have ordered one. But.....I ordered an O'douls N/A and have to say that drinking it was second place to just having it sitting on the table. I found comfort with my old friend just being there.

Anyway...only had the one; no big deal. We had an enjoyable evening talking about our addictions (she's quitting smoking) and how already our lives have improved. It was a good weekend. Now...IF I COULD JUST SLEEP!

Dono

doggonecarl 09-16-2013 07:17 AM

Good for you getting through a rough patch.

Originally Posted by Hypocritical (Post 4183569)
I found comfort with my old friend just being there.

Myself, I couldn't handle an NA beer in early recovery. Too close to the "real" thing. Even now I wouldn't drink it, and I'm three years sober. I don't need to awaken the cravings. Too many non-alcoholic choices that don't try to pretend to be one.

Recovery is about change. Saying goodbye to old friends is part of the change. Comfort like that can turn uncomfortable quick.

Ghostlight1 09-16-2013 07:36 AM

Glad you made it through the weekend, they're tough for me too even after two years eight months sober.
Glad the n/a beer worked. That's a start. Keep it up, soon you won't even think about ordering a beer.

Best to you.

jkb 09-16-2013 08:48 AM

I like the N/A beer also. It helps me just to have the comfort of the shape of the bottle to hold on to. Football is a struggle for me and Becks N/A helps me. Good work on getting through it.

lorelei 09-16-2013 08:49 AM

Stick with it, sleep will come, and well done on a sober wkend x

Doug39 09-16-2013 09:01 AM

I am 50 days sober today.

The first few weeks of sobriety, driving home from work was the hardest part of the day - that was when I normally stopped to get alcohol.

Once I got home I was fine.

I wouldn't even fool with odouls. Whats the point? It's a big tease.

lorelei 09-16-2013 09:09 AM

congratulations doniker

:c011:

redneckrecovery 09-16-2013 12:28 PM

I used to drink NA but just gave up on it. Weekends were tough for me in the begining, after finishing a big project at home is a trigger still even after 17 months.

I have to make a conscious decision to not drink almost every minute of every day.

It's not easy this sobriety, but it's worth it. Every single bit of it.