Notices

Online AA meetings?Thoughts/Comments

Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Online AA meetings?Thoughts/Comments

What are some of your thought/experiences with this??Pretty cool think ill try it tomorrow..Ive been going to face to face AA meetings the last three months.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Question Re: Online meetings.

Yeah, I like online meetings just as much. It's usually a good alternative to the traditional meeting format I've been accustomed too. And besides, it's nice to get another perspective on sobriety.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How do you do an online aa meetin?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PalTalk has a committed section in Health.
PalTalk is software you download, can use a microphone/headfone to just listen, or create your own meeting.

My experience with it:, is OK at first, but I work outdoors depending on the weather, not much time to sit at PC all that often.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I've had mixed "results". For me it depended very much on how the meeting is run/moderated. I've "attended" online meetings where everytime someone "entered" the meeting, even while it was in progress people stopped to say welcome, then the newcomer said thanks and hello to everyone. And every time someone began a share, and said my name is Blank and I'm an alcoholic, everyone stopped to say "hi blank"...individually.

This was in typed meetings and thus 2/3 of the meeting was taken up by these "niceties" and I found it beyond tedious, frustrating and mind numbing. Yes, I know...do a 10th step on it, clearly the issue is with me...

Never did a Skype or conference call type online meeting, that sounds awesome.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I have tried these on e-aa and they are good given certain limitations. There is usually much less sharing than a face to face meeting because of people's typing speeds, but they are far better than no meeting if you need one. Also, people often hang out after the meetings just chatting but are willing to "get serious" if you need to talk.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used online meetings to supplement my program when I was unable to attend my regular meetings due to depression. These meetings, I believe, kept me sober for that period. I have had mostly positive experiences. There are several sites that offer online meetings........I suggest check out a few different ones.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a lot of in person AA meetings in the beginning. After a while, I stopped going as much. But every once in a while I still like to hear the stories. The online meetings I usually attend are like skype meetings and only those that want to share are skyped in. I just observe. I probably do those about once a month or so. It is nice. I can sit and listen from the comfort of my home.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does anyone who has commented care to share the websites they use to attend these meetings?