Notices

Night terrors

Old 09-14-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, I had night terrors as a child. terrible. I still have some sleep disorders, sleep walking and such. and sometimes I wake up with anxiety attacks and or panic attacks with severe tummy cramps.

If can afford it, see a neurologist about it. turns out I'm not nuts and it's a brain wave thing and some PTSD.

Mine gets brought out during periods of high stress.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-05-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

night terrors always plagued me when i tried to get sober, sometimes that kept me from succeeding. after going to AA and committing to quitting, I was terrified I would have them and to my surprise, I did not. Amazing what you can do with your mind in the game.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When I was young, way before I started drinking. like between 5 and 11 years old probably, I used to have night terrors. I also would just sleep walk normally sometimes, no fear just wandered around with not much recollection the next day. But the night terrors were HORRIBLE. Not only for me but my parents as well, could you imagine your kid waking up screaming bloody murder out of the blue? No calming me down just total freaking out. Probably thought I was possessed or something....

I ended up staying in the hospital for 5 days or something like that getting all kinds of brain scans and such, they even had to question whether I was being sexually abused, I dont remember anyone asked me about it though. Turned out not finding anything wrong with me. Eventually lactose intolerance came to be the culprit. If I had dairy before bed I guess my upset stomach would wake me up in that in between state and my brain would sometimes just make me sleep walk and other times go into a panic.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Unhappy Re:Have you ever experienced night terrors?

Not personally. But I did have some scary 'dreams' back when I was little. Hopefully it's only a one time deal. One could only hope.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riel View Post
I'd never thought about it in quite this way, but sleep paralysis is indeed a time when you can leave your physical body as it happens when your astral body is outside it.
The boy is paralysed while sleeping as a result of our own evolution, without this paralysis we would likely be moving about in our sleep with the actions of our dreams, which no doubt would lead to accidents and possibly death.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yes I have experienced night terrors. They are dreadful and you have my sympathy.

Mine started when I was about 3 months sober, and continued for about 9 months. They began when i came off anti-depressants but I'm not sure whether there was a connection there. Most likely they were due to memories re-surfacing from childhood, stuff that I'd bottled up for decades and numbed away with drink. I would experience the same symptoms as you, and I found it extremely upsetting. There were many times I was up and posting on SR in the early hours trying to get some sense of normality back into my thoughts.

They have largely gone now. I started therapy to deal with my 'stuff' and while that hasn't been easy, after a few months my sleeping settled and the nightmares stopped. Meditation also helps.

Uncovering the root cause is the key, and no, I don't think this is probably anything to do with your alcoholism. I would go and seek out a counsellor/therapist to discuss this with.

Best wishes to you x
Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So many Horror stories also affects sometime, as sometime mind divert for thinking such things, but 1 can overcome for sure
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

An interesting book on the topic is Journeys Out of the Body by Robert Monroe.
I'd been having the loud noises (terrifyingly loud like a freight train of static), feeling myself floating upwards, passing through ceiling and roof of my house since childhood before I drank. The paralysis and nightmares got worse the longer I drank, but I have always had many lucid dreams. Maybe there is more to what sleep is than we know, and maybe our addictions have a negative effect on what we experience. Since I stopped I rarely have night terrors any more but still some OOB and lucid dreams. Just much better ones than before.