Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Hooked on exercise... wondering if I should be worried?

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
now's the time

So since having a slip a little over a month ago (5 months in), I have been back on track since then. I've got a new daily routine, am working more hours, also taking better care of myself in small ways.

I'm also exercising a LOT. About two hours on my bicycle every weekday (commuting) and then an additional hour of fast-paced yoga most evenings.

I'm not concerned that I'm addicted in the way of those who feel guilty or bad about themselves if they don't work out (mainly for body image reasons). I get antsy when I don't get my yoga in, but I don't feel badly about myself.

I do worry though that it seems to take this much activity just to chill me out. Anyone else experience this? Is it possible that this is just a phase, like eating junk food? I did that pretty intensely for a couple months and then moved on from it pretty naturally.

I'm really enjoying it for now but it basically takes up all of my free time. I worry that it's just me being compulsive again.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As long as your joints are not hurting and you done feel tired ,I think you are okay .

At my age -46 ,My body will let me know when its too much .
Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nope you're all good as long as your body is coping....I work 80/90 hours a week and still fit in 3/4 intense gym sessions a week.....Your body will tell you when it's doing too much.....Steve.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your a Mans man Stevie Boy !

Your doing well.

Exercise cardio is a drug to me, gotta do it 5 times a week, but starting to reap the rewards , weight loss , look better , sleep better.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Fantail,

My opinion? Physical beings are meant to move. I know some folks who don't seem to be impacted (mood-wise) if they don't exercise, but I'm not one of those people.

I don't know what your method of recovery is, but for me, I can't rely on exercise to address my mental/emotional restlessness. I say this, not because I think you're doing it, but because it's how I addressed my 'dryness' (I was sober but was doing nothing, program/method-wise, to support it) and, ultimately, it failed me; I drank after about 2 years of this approach. I was using exercise and therapy, actually.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have great energy and are putting it to good use. As long as you stay hydrated and eat well it shouldn't be a problem. As others have said, if your body starts to tell you it needs a longer break then my all means listen to it. It is best to take at least one day off from exercise a week for your body to recover and not get too worn down.

As far as filling all your free time with something else-I am really new to this, 8 days, but I have a problem if I find myself with too much free time.... Because I remember how I used to fill those hours...

Keep moving.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My only suggestion would be to emphasize the mental over the physical as you get older. Your mind, not your body, is your most valuable resource.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on your sober time.

It's possible to overdue anything, even "healthy" stuff, like exercise. Exercise is important to you, but it's not a recovery method. If it were, Jack LaLanne would be revered in recovery circles like Bill W. and Jack Trimpey.

Find some balance.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

Yeah I should mention I'm really psyched, I was not very healthy while drinking so I'm excited to be able to exercise this much. I am defiinitely grateful for this and every day I feel really happy to see that it's not too late for me to learn how to be a physically active human being.

But as Carl says it's the balance piece that worries me. My slip happened while I was traveling and couldn't be as active. I worry that the same thing might happen again... but I don't know what to substitute. I can't seem to find anything else that hits that same level.

Which I guess is... exercise really turns my brain off and makes me euphoric, helps me sleep, etc. Kind of like drinking? So in some ways it's a direct substitute for drinking. Which kind of makes me feel like I've found a loophole... like I'm allowed to be addicted as long as it's to something healthy and socially approved?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The 36 hour day.

We get sober so now what?

The drive required to drink for 6 hours every night and still function somewhat the next day is huge. I needed to harness it. Exercise feeds it, hobbies feed it but it's your choice. Choosing exercise, volunteering maybe even a part time job will have an amazing effect in your life. The drive must be fed and will easily translate to another addiction but it's your choice this time.

Sounds like you have made wise choices.

Fire for effect.

TIM
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You could try to make the yoga a little more slow paced and get a more body awareness into it.

I think we can use mostly everything as an escape/addiction but yoga is not very harmful though.

I think it can be helpful.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ya know...I can get all jacked up on something for awhile. At one time, I was quite concerned about the amount of time I spent here at SR in my first season of sobriety. Like I was really, really concerned...thinking I was replacing one addiction for another. But then I looked at my past and realized I have a pattern of getting fanatical about things for awhile and then it settles down.

My commitment to alcohol and cigarettes is one of the longest I've ever kept : ) I think these are early days Fantail..and well, it's not a bad thing. If it's interfering with your life despite negative consequences over a long period..well, then take a look at it.

But my two pennies? It's far to early for adequate assessment of a behaviour pattern.
And hey, there could be worse things..right?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, Nu - I was just realizing I've been neglecting other things to cruise around SR for hours...for every thing, turn, turn, turn, there is a season, turn, turn, turn...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a very physical job and I ride a stationary bike nearly every day for aerobics. The exercise has helped reduce my weight and blood pressure. I'd agree if it hurts then reduce. Exercise is a great way to kill some time too.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

fantail I have the same problem. I run 40-50 miles a week at least. it keeps my sanity and yes its my new obsession and well has been for over a year now. I cant stop a day off and i wanna pull my hair out. I need my run. and yes its any free time i get I wanna go run. Today I ran 7 miles on my lunch break then after work another 3 miles just for fun. And as I sit here i could go do more!

I worry myself that perhaps I've replaced one obsession with another. But at least this is a healthy one. But sometimes I wonder if i should take more days off or something but i feel fine so i figure why bother.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There's nothing wrong with in my opinion. There are plenty of people who aren't recovering alcoholics who are addicted to exercise. They don't worry about it being a problem because its not. It's not an addiction that causes us any problems, just physical and IMO mental benefits. I know it's perfectly fine to do cardio every day, after all elite runners are known to run 2 times a day for like 8 to 10 miles each time.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Please. I hope this happens to me
Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It is a bit addactive ,IMO

Im 46 , 6 feet tall and 160# ,with a solid 6 pack .

If I need motivation ,I look in the mirror .

Another was my youngest boy"s friend ,he said you are the strongest "old " fellow I have ever seen ............

I actually pull on the gloves and teach these young fellows how to box ,Can hang with all of them except my son ,His cardio is unreal .
Old 09-13-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

dang karate thats impressive. I'm 5 7 150lbs and no 6 pack despite my 40 50 miles of running each week. I dont let it get to me much when i drank I was 275 and did nothing just over 2 years later this is the results of burning off my frustrations etc.. in a healthy way rather then drinking. I also no that if i where to drink one evening chances are I'd be too hungover to go run that deters me as I'd rather be able to run like this then to drink. Believe me it was not easy I had to walk before i could run and i had to instill the daily habit of exercising it wasnt easy considering for years i sat around did nothing but drink beer and smoke cigarettes.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I am so glad you are still around Fantail. I have been thinking about you since your slip. Our original sobriety dates are 4 days apart and you are one of the people that has been with me on SR since the beginning. As far as the exercise I use it too. I am not in as good of shape as you though. Like Nuudawn I was a little concerned I was spending too much time on here. Things seem to even out after awhile. Now I figure if I feel the need to run or spend a couple hours on here it's because I need it for my sobriety.