Notices

What other support "should" AA provide?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

What other support "should" AA provide?

The AA in this part of the world seems pretty tolerant and inclusive compared to some of the experiences I have read about on SR.

We like to stick fairly close to the subject of alcoholism in our sharing, but everyone gets a chance to share.

Many meetings keep a book of who shares and who missed out so that at the next meeting those that missed out get a chance to share.

After the meetings a lot of us stay back and to offer support and encouragement to the newer members, and to answer their questions. We also try to respond if there is some special plea that comes through in someone's sharing.

Exchanges of phone numbers and sponsorship are also a part.

I have read a few posts on SR where people feel AA does not allow them to share about their problems and does not provide support around these problems.

I was wondering what was the nature of the problems and what sort of support should AA be providing?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA, though I work the steps and read the literature religiously. I visited the local service office and spoke to the Volunteers there. Other than answering the phone and giving support to alcoholics, they provide counseling over the phone to family members of alcoholics, they also direct the victims of domestic abuse and violence to services open to them, provide advice on employment and have an open door policy to anyone that wants to come in and have a chat completely all free of charge. I'm not sure if they offer any advice on mental health issues or suggest support services around that. Friendly bunch.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I was wondering what was the nature of the problems and what sort of support should AA be providing?
I have never been to any 12 step activities outside of the USA. However, I have been to hundreds of different meetings in dozens of different city's. So far I have found that there are big differences in how they are run. Even within the same city or suburb, there can be tremendous variation.

So I guess, talking about problems with AA as a whole is a regional issue.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I like the idea of AA having a primary purpose. To carry the message of recovery through the 12 steps. I don't think it needs to provide any other svc. The sharing of approved literature, meetings to study the literature and fellowship. Though people can and do practice step 12 beyond the rooms in their lives, part of the 12 step is sharing the 12 steps themselves.

I have been to meetings where personal sharing that does not pertain to the study and application is discouraged, and I can see the point of that as meetings can turn into vent sessions, which often prevents them from serving the primary purpose, being that of sharing the steps of recovery.

I don't have any personal vendetta towards people sharing what's going on in their lives, but if that has become the main focus of a group, I will seek out other meetings.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I have read a few posts on SR where people feel AA does not allow them to share about their problems and does not provide support around these problems.

The posts I have seen that comment to this most of the time are from a member that has not quite grasped the AA program.

If a member shares about their alcoholism or problems relating to that then I have personally never seen any negative actions for this. I have seen a chairperson move on the conversation if someone is bitching about their dog/cat/wife/husband/landlady/job.

Got a problem with your pet, call a vet. Got a problem with your spouse, seek marriage counseling. Got a problem with your landlady, call the housing authority. Got a problem with your job, call HR.

These types of things can and do get discussed with friends before and after meetings which I think is fine. That is part of the fellowship/friendship that develops but in meetings, the primary purpose is why we are all at the meeting.

What a member takes on themselves for another member, whether it be to help getting a job/car/place to live is up to them and is a personal choice and I see nothing wrong with that but I also do not want to hear how it backfired later during a meeting.

Meetings do differ. I went to meeting Friday that said The Lord's Prayer right after the speaker then opened the floor for comments. It really felt weird. That should be at the end of the meeting! LOL