Notices

My eclectic weekend

Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

My eclectic weekend

Just wanted to tell everyone about my weekend as I sit here Monday morning, sober and happy.

Friday night went out with my old drinking mates. This was purely on the pretext that they were going to the West End to celebrate two girls birthdays within the group. As I was finally getting ready @7 o clock, thought a quick phone call to double check we were meeting at the station for 7.30. No she said, we are meeting at mine for 7.30. I knew right there & then that there would be no west end!!!

The whole evening then proceeded exactly as before.....loads drinks consumed round this particular friends house; then off to first pub! Half empty establishment that reeks of stale alcohol! Full of old men on their own, or with their drinking buddies. Mates ordered bottle of wine, poured glasses, then promptly left it all to rush next door. Mates now getting louder & more silly. No conversation possible. Then they rush next door to second pub, more like a club scene where they have doormen on the door?!!! The place reminds me of a seedy clip joint. It's very loud, they have a DJ, you can't hear or talk to anyone, all mates now more or less stupefied, all silly & stupid. Pub utterly packed like sardines, all trying to get to the bar at one. As night progresses each mate leaves one at a time without saying goodbye. The last part of the evening trying to get some sense out of someone to get home. I just walked to my car & drove home thinking: (a) never again, (b) how did I ever do that life and (c) still can't understand the attraction for rest of mates, who by the way are getting a little bit past all that, in my opinion. I actually txt my friend the next day and likened the whole evening to a war zone

Second half of weekend totally & utterly different from above and lovely. To celebrate my daughter running the half marathon she booked a table at a lovely pub/restaurant where the food and ambience is lovely. There were about
10of us, not much alcohol at all, most peeps there were either non drinkers, or just normal, a wine with dinner, type of drinker. We had a really lovely, amazing afternoon with close friends & family. Drove home safely, sober & happy.

I know which part of the weekend I like best.

Thanks all for listening x
Old 09-09-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds delightful. I'm happy that you have found the easy, comfortable, content and happy existence that a life without the crazy alcoholic **** that ruins everything.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also was struck this weekend by contrasts. We went to a family member's 65th birthday party, lots of people, speeches, dancing, the whole thing. In the past, I would drink too much and worry about what I said the next morning. This weekend, I stayed sober, participated in the speeches honoring the birthday guest, spoke to a lot of people, made an earlier-side exit, and remembered all of it the next morning.

Feels great, doesn't it, to have a family experience that's about what it should be: connecting and caring about your family, rather than an experience of shame and regret.

Thanks for sharing your experience and helping me reflect on mine.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Super Cool Lilly

watch this Lilly...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/bouncers/4od

Yuk