Notices

Sober almost 5mos - got the itch

Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober almost 5mos - got the itch

I've been sober for close to five months. I started smoking pot a few weeks ago and am now doing it too much. I only get a brief high then its gone so then I want to smoke again. Then when that's not doing it I've been getting that itch to drink just to get a buzz. I know what I need to do - quit all substances.
I feel safe I won't drink but making myself have the urges again. Damn!! Why does my brain like to feeling of fuzzy and buzzed?? Ugh, damn addict brain.

I just keep thinking of all the wonderful things I have accomplished because I stopped drinking.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not re-read your post? .I'm hearing that you know your addicted brain is running the show. Sounds spot on to this alcoholic. My husband used the marijuana maintenance plan too! Wine is my drug of choice...and AA is my recovery program. Sure you'll get lots of positive input here on SR. Bobbi
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can have two sober days. Today can be your pot sober day, and five months ago can be your alcohol sober day.

It's never too late to start fresh.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the same position as you. Over 18 weeks sober but around a month ago I have been smoking marijuana a few times a week. I smoked 3 nights in a row last week then went off to stay with friends in France for 5 days, all of whom were drinkers. Even though I stayed sober around the heavy drinking atmosphere, the fact the night before I left I had been stoned off my nut meant that my addictive brainwas working harder than ever when I was sitting around the table in France the next evening with everyone drinking wine. That first night was torture!!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pot bought me every bit the misery drinking did.

I'd play it smart and stop now Jean...before you find yourself drinking and smoking and having two monkeys on your back.

D
Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I have tried various drug subsitution schemes. In the end what worked for me is "embracing" sobriety- that is a committment to stay clean. In the end it was the easiest option for me.

I think it works beacause the addictive part of us never gets fed. I know it is still there, and i accept that. It is a powerful force and i respect it.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jean77 View Post
I only get a brief high then its gone so then I want to smoke again. Then when that's not doing it I've been getting that itch to drink just to get a buzz. I know what I need to do - quit all substances.
I see posts where drinkers say smoking pot is okay because alcohol was their problem, not pot.

But as you have pointed out, it isn't the substance, it is the urge to be "high" on something. Anything. And that too often leads us back to what brought us here in the first place.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I ended up an alcoholic...... when I cross addicted later on from drugs.....

I have to accept that normal life is missing the high I always wanted, but it doesn't have the crappiest lows addiction brings:-)

Ive struggled at 6 weeks and 3 months... we have to expect and prepare for the times of struggle...
hang on to the gifts sobriety has bought to you and keep on trucking... if life is good at 5 months, imagine it at 10....
Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it's about replacing a chemically induced rich experience with a natural one. It's also just about enjoying the quiet melancholy of the evening light as you did as a child, without any assistance. It's about cutting yourself free and letting yourself feel time wash over you. It's about giving back simple thoughts to the world. I do admire Hunter S. Thompson and Hemmingway and people that faught the tragedy of life tooth and nail, trying to find an out before the ultimate out and transmuting that pain into beauty or knowledge. But what if there's another way that comes with unfolding something, as opposed to throwing balls of Jackson Pollock paint at a blank screen and calling it art. I realize this is something of a tangent. Give yourself time to unfold?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will do anything more and more no matter what it is even if it isn't myo drug of choice.

I too played that game years ago, quit drinking, just gonna smoke,a little pot.

The truth is, I needed SOMETHING to feel different, because I was not ready to live life on life's terms.

I have heard of some people who smoke pot in sobriety, but never really hear of anyone who's done it for a long term.

If I am honest with myself, pot is not allowed, any more than pills, coke, or wine.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davaidavai View Post
I think it's about replacing a chemically induced rich experience with a natural one. It's also just about enjoying the quiet melancholy of the evening light as you did as a child, without any assistance. It's about cutting yourself free and letting yourself feel time wash over you. It's about giving back simple thoughts to the world. I do admire Hunter S. Thompson and Hemmingway and people that faught the tragedy of life tooth and nail, trying to find an out before the ultimate out and transmuting that pain into beauty or knowledge. But what if there's another way that comes with unfolding something, as opposed to throwing balls of Jackson Pollock paint at a blank screen and calling it art. I realize this is something of a tangent. Give yourself time to unfold?
I call B.S. on this.

Hunter Thompson died an addict. he committed suicide. Hemingway was an alcoholic who also committed suicide.

Glorifying drug abusers lives and romanticizing them is just that. It's not reality.

You can find the same inner peace of pot through meditation, and it's even more of a reality.