Notices

Two Questions: Suspicions & Slips

Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Hey, relapse is a part of recovery for many people.
I thought that too, and kept relapsing. Once I accepted that relapsing was part of the addiction, I put the elements in place to not relapse.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Personally, I take it as a compliment if someone thinks I'm having so much fun I must be drinking. Since I'm not- and I know my loved ones have legitimate fears and memories of what was, I welcome the question anytime it's asked.

My husband has my permission to smell/ taste anything I'm drinking. Keeps me honest. He's actually only done it once.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Hey, relapse is a part of recovery for many people.
Seriously??? Relapse/Slip....whatever, is drinking and that's part of the problem...not the solution. You're from CA I take it, so ask around about Clancy I and ask what he says about relapsing being part of recovery. Recovery is what it is and it doesn't include drinking. Back here we have a name for people who continue to drink and claim to be in the program. Alkanauts! They orbit around AA meetings and every so often, have a flaming re-entry.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'd like to end this thread please. It's unsupportive and not really working with my program which, if you must know, includes private therapy two times a week, medical and psychiatric check-ins every two weeks, and group therapy (women only, dual-diagnosis) three times a week. AA has not worked for me for the exact reasons that I'd like to close this thread. My program is costing me a fortune, even with insurance (!!), but I'd rather do that than be chastised by strangers on the internet. I'm lucky to have the expert support team that I have.

And yes, I've been sober since the "slip" and do understand that slips are part of recovery. According to my therapist, psychiatrist, and medical doctor it' normal and all you can do is move on and stay strong. Thanks to those who were supportive, though! Case closed.