Notices

New here, Day 74

Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, Day 74

Hi everyone,

after lurking around here for quite while I've decided that it's time to join up and post! Should have done it earlier, but anyway...here I am :-)

Today is day 74 for me (can't really believe it myself) and it's good to be sober so far, because I totally know that this **** is going to kill me if I continue down that path...since I've already experienced first withdrawal symptoms I know that it can only get worse, so I really had to do something. The biggest problem is the obsession in my mind I have with alcohol, part of me still tries to delude myself into thinking that it's kind of a romantic lifestyle (of course it's not), maybe it's because of my age that the idea of never drinking again is quite difficult and uncomfortable. Anyway, I'm glad that I found this community and I thank everyone who takes their time to read this!

See you!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DD, Welcome to SR! There is a lot of support and information here.

Congrats on 74 days!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot to both of you! :-)

I've already read through quite a few posts as a non-registered visitor and can totally relate to a lot of stuff. It is very kind of therapeutic to have found a place like this.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome dark glad to have you join us
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi dd welcome well done for being on day 74 .Im on day 7 so ill never catch up with you
Old 09-04-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome, DD.
you'll likely find actively participating a quite different experience from reading in the shadows.
congratulations on those sober days!

keep going.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your kind replies! I really appreciate them.

@fini: I think you are totally right. As I wrote, I should have registered earlier, but I suppose there was denial going on in the back of my head, like "well there might be a bit of a problem with alcohol, but it's not so bad that I have to join SR". Well I probably wasn't ready yet.

I now know that my drinking problem is really bad and that it will quite likely destroy me in a few years time if I go back to drinking the way I used to, that means if I go back to drinking at all, since it always ends in the same ****, getting blackout-wasted (and waking up in drunk tanks or with alcohol poisoning and stuff). This year I've tried to quit several times, but kept coming back to getting smashed after two or three weeks, you know the deal, and it kept getting worse. I was fortunate enough to be able to stop on my own without having to go to a detox facility or doctor, but the withdrawal symptoms became more severe each time, so it's really not funny anymore. Quite scary how quick this drinking habit can progress into a deadly addiction.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DD, I'm pretty young too and yes it is tough with our age group all wanting to go out and party. Im at a little more than 4 months sober and You will see it become easier still in the time from where you are now to where i am to remove that romantic notion from your head. At least that is my experience. Stick with it. We both know what going back to drinking eventually leads to.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome DD!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I understand that -- everyone in my age group hangs out at nice restaurants for happy hour. It's just what we...um they...do. It's hard for me to imagine forever too. The only thing keeping me focused is the knowledge that it will get worse if left unchecked, and it would only get harder. If this 5 to 7 beer-per-day chick is struggling, what would the 10-beer-per-day chick have to go through? And the 12 beer per day? And the 15 beer per day? I don't want to have to find that out. So far so good.....
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 74 days & welcome!