Notices

Wanting to sabotage.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Enjoying Recovery

Wanting to sabotage.

Deep down I feel I'm not good enough to not drink and I'm feeling the desire to sabotage my own recovery by drinking, even though the thought of drinking makes me feel sick.

Sometimes I think that I've been drunk or asleep for about 90% of my adult life and being anything else scares me. It doesn't scare me as much as the way I acted at my worst which obviously keeps me going.

I don't feel in danger. I'm happy to be sober still. These feelings are quite strong though. Can anyone relate?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I just said to someone else - I didn't feel good enough either - drinking neatly made that a self fulfilling prophecy.

The thing is you really are better than you're allowing yourself to be - everyone here is.
Fear is strong, but faith is stronger.

If you have faith in nothing else, read around - have faith in the success stories here.
check out this forum:

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You can do this too BF - absolutely

D
Old 09-03-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As I had drank from ages 14 to 40 I never new the me who no longer drank. That was all tangled up in early childhood experiences. Once I stopped drinking I had to find who I was.
I felt I didn't deserve help.
10yrs on that has changed so much.
I don't put to much emphasis on the word 'happy'. That's something that comes and goes.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueFrancis View Post
Deep down I feel I'm not good enough to not drink and I'm feeling the desire to sabotage my own recovery by drinking, even though the thought of drinking makes me feel sick.

Sometimes I think that I've been drunk or asleep for about 90% of my adult life and being anything else scares me. It doesn't scare me as much as the way I acted at my worst which obviously keeps me going.

I don't feel in danger. I'm happy to be sober still. These feelings are quite strong though. Can anyone relate?
Hello BF, Nice to meet you,
I have these self sabotaging thoughts constantly, I constantly have to reign my mind back in, I suppose its part of why we drank, drink fuelled it, now its breaking the cycle, have you tried ny cbt or mindfulness courses?
X