Notices

Could i be going through a withdrawal

Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could i be going through a withdrawal

Hi,

I am a 19 year old college student and i think i may be going through alcohol withdrawals and would like to know if its possible and what i can do.

I was drinking for about a week or little less just at night but quite heavily. Half a bottle of whiskey or 15 or so beers. Today i didnt drink at all and i had mild shakes and bad anxiety and am not able to sleep to well.

I am however away from home and i got anxiety for a week or so from that last year so maybe it has to do with that.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi eric

None of us are Drs but it's common sense that drinking for a week is likely to leave you with some after effects.

If you want to be sure as to the cause, you'll need to see a Dr tho.

D
Old 09-03-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i was simply wondering how long you think this will last for me.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by ericschuh00 View Post
i was simply wondering how long you think this will last for me.
About as long as you keep drinking a half bottle of whiskey at night!!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Probably like 3 or 4 days. Next time u drink that much it's obviously going to happen again
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ya im done drinking for a long while. I feel like i have a cold so pretty crappy.

Its just nice to know you guys dont think it will last too long because i did not sleep at all last night.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was 19 I had similar issues and now at 23 I've had to quit because the withdrawals became so bad it forced me to drink everyday to stop them. My suggestion to you is if you find yourself unable to control it quit before it gets to that point because its not something you want to go through
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
When I was 19 I had similar issues and now at 23 I've had to quit because the withdrawals became so bad it forced me to drink everyday to stop them. My suggestion to you is if you find yourself unable to control it quit before it gets to that point because its not something you want to go through
thank you. As of right now i just feel really light headed and anxiety. The hand shakes just stopped. Thank you
Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eric be careful my friend. I am only 22 and I had to quit drinking already. I drank hard in college and now only knowing what I know now I can conclude I was building a serious tolerance in college. I was experiencing less severe withdrawal symptoms like you are describing even back then now that I can recognize them for what they were. Long story short I was drinking way too much in college then I got injured badly and went full blown alcoholism If your the type of drinker who is already possibly drinking for stress you may be like me and a real life crisis could throw you deep into a drunk disaster. The withdrawals won't last very long if you only did this for a week but. Lets be honest though because I wasn't hones at all about what's normal. A half a bottle of whiskey a night is not normal for a week straight. Remember normal people might not even drink a half bottle of whiskey or 15 beers on their hardest drinking nights. Also more often that not its what you do in your late teens early twenties that creates the 30 something onward alcoholics. They don't just come out of nowhere it starts young man. If I was you I'd take a really solid break like a month or two and see if you have a major issue. If you can put it down and not obsess about it then maybe just chalk it up as a silly idea to drink copious amounts of booze for an extended time. Good luck dude.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It will last only about 1-2 days .

Just let up on the drinking , you can drink ,just don't go crazy .
Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That much drinking suggests you have a serious problem with alcohol.
Your bad feelings come as a timely warning.
Suggest you look very hard at the essential problem before you end up like I did!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes i understand. I am totally done for a while.

My anxiety is really bad and I cannot fall asleep.

Any help with this?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Both anxiety and insomnia are pretty common withdrawal symptoms.

I found both got better with time.

If you're concerned, or your symptoms are impeding your quality of life, it really is in your best interests to see a Dr.

D
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by ericschuh00 View Post
yes i understand. I am totally done for a while.

My anxiety is really bad and I cannot fall asleep.

Any help with this?
As your drinking progresses... so will your withdrawal symptoms. If you keep binge drinking... you will eventually advance to the point of experiencing DT's.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...m-tremens.html
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ok thank you. Im just starting up school again and this is the second night in a row I cannot fall asleep and stay up all night.

Im just looking for some help.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was usual for me to not sleep at all the first night...sleep a little the second and have a slightly less broken sleep the third.

Usually took a week or two for me to fall back into a normal sleep pattern tho.

This website has a lot of useful exercises for anxiety panic attacks etc.

Calm Clinic for Your Anxiety & Panic « Calm Clinic

D
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you very much that was helpful. Im just trying to look forward to a night of sleep
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hey Eric,

I hear you--it is no fun!

I'm sure your campus health services has a walk-in or something similar. You should give them a try. Given the problems that alcohol causes on campuses they ought to be eager to help you. They may be able to offer other support if you don't want to drink like this in the future, but hopefully they can make sure your withdrawal symptoms are under control.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi ericshuh,

I'm new here, but what you describe sounds totally like withdrawal. I've had similar symptoms, the insomnia combined with extreme anxiety and panic is totally horrible. I didn't drink everyday (yet) but I got totally smashed on my own 4 times a week and sometimes I went on 4 day binges. Total crap, afterwards I had horrible heart pounding and sweating like **** for a couple of days. Anyway, it's great that you want to do something about your drinking. I'm sober 74 days today, the longest time since I started drinking about six years ago (I'm 22). It's totally worth it man!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you.

The symptoms are definetly starting to go away as I am now able to finally get some good sleep in.

Hopefully Im feeling better soon!