Notices

Am I in danger?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I in danger?

I've been drinking 8-12 beers on weeknights and up to a case per day on weekends. This behavior has been going on for about 8 months although I had been a "normal" drinker for years before that.

I want to stop, I need to stop, and a this three day weekend seems like a fantastic time to do so.

Everything I read, the first thing mentioned is to seek medical attention. I don't have any health insurance so I really cannot seek medical attention unless something very serious happens and I need to go to the hospital. This is where my concerns come in.

Are there any things I can do to try and prevent any health repercussions from doing this at home? Are there any signs I should be looking for that would say it is time to get to the hospital? I'd like to believe that because this hasn't been going on for years and because I'm a beer drinker and not a hard liquor drinker, that I might get off the hook easier than other alcoholics, but I know this may or may not be true.

I've also read in other places that I should taper off. This doesn't seem like a good or realistic idea.

I will appreciate any tips or advice I can get, thank you. I have to admit, I am a little scared about all of this.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by SpartanGreen View Post

Are there any things I can do to try and prevent any health repercussions from doing this at home? Are there any signs I should be looking for that would say it is time to get to the hospital?

I will appreciate any tips or advice I can get, thank you. I have to admit, I am a little scared about all of this.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is the experience of many of us:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

It's really nothing to play with. Congrats on recognizing you have a problem and know you need to do something about it.

IT's always best to see a doctor. And do know, insurance or not, you can be seen at any emergency room. I would recommend having a friend with you who knows you are quitting and supports you.

Welcome to SR>
Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is against the rules here to come with advice that can be interpreted as medical advice.

It can be dangerous to stop drinking and I think it is very individual how people are affected and it can also be surprising.

It is risky to do without consulting a doctor and maybe even foolhardy to do alone.

I am sorry I am not of much help.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Spartan,

Yeah tapering off wouldn't have worked for me. Once I start drinking, I'm not going to stop.

I detoxed on my own, not knowing that it could be dangerous. If you are going to do this at home just ensure that if you see any of the danger signs get yourself to the hospital ASAP.

I did vomit the first day and I had the horrible shakes. I also go very itchy during the first week. The shakes for me lasted for weeks. I was also fatigued, restless, very agitated and I defiantely had a foggy brain.

Welcome to SR and congrats on wanting to get sober.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I think you have been given good advice. I have detoxed on my own but that is not my advice. I have a risktaker personality even when sober.

Perhaps a friend or family member would loan you some money to see a doctor?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Take the advise of these people. But dont worry coming off may not be as bad as you think. I was drinking 8 cans of beer every night 4.3% 500ml for about a year and a half. I didnt know any better and dropped them. I felt crappy at first and my hands were shaking but apart from that it went pretty smoothly.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

everyone is different. we can't predict what will happen.

be safe. see a doctor, even if you get to one of those 24 hour clinic places.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SpartanGreen, I went to the doctor after 50 hours of detox. She was freaked out. Seizures can happen. Nothing to fool around with. Good luck!